FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the socket size for the Steering Nut on the 2006 FJR1300 (between the handlebars)? I know the caliper says 1 5/16" but I don't know the Metric size. I want to install a Techmount for my GPS and it replaces the existing Steering Nut. I would rather buy just one socket instead of a set.
Also the torque specs would be appreciated if you know them.
Thanks

·
Registered
737 Posts
Thump52 said:
Can anyone tell me the socket size for the Steering Nut on the 2006 FJR1300 (between the handlebars)? I know the caliper says 1 5/16" but I don't know the Metric size. I want to install a Techmount for my GPS and it replaces the existing Steering Nut. I would rather buy just one socket instead of a set.
Also the torque specs would be appreciated if you know them.
Thanks
Thump, the socket size for the stem nut is 36mm, torque to 85 f/lbs.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Wow! :shock:

That's a lot of torque on that nut. Is that called for in the manual? The torque on the actual steering stem (ring nut) is much less.

:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the info! Now I can save some bucks for riding.

That is alot of torque (85 ft lbs) but I found this same value on another site, so it must be correct.

·
Super Moderator
3,976 Posts
Check the details.

http://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/maint/shb/shb.html

The stem top nut O.D. changed sizes in '04 but the I.D. did not. The torques stayed the same. If this is still true for the '06, I can't say. Someone will have to cough up the dough for the '06 shop manual like the rest of us did for the previous models and then add to the knowledge base.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, I tried to order the service book but Yamas site says it is on backorder. So, we will all have to wait for that I guess.

I used the torque spec on my 06 and it seems good. I'll let ya know if anything bad happens from this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.