FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As anybady maufacter steering deamper for FJR ? Or may be someaone have fit universal one devices?
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Lamantin77 said:
As anybady maufacter this device for FJR ? Or may be someaone have fit universal one devices?
Thank you in advance
Welcome to the site,

But as for your question I am not aware of anyone fitting a Steering Damper at the moment.

Can I ask why you want one is there a problem with your Fjr?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello
For my point of view it is very usefull device/ Befor FJR I owned CBR1100XX with deamper, although all my frends on blackbirds dont have it and say that blaccbird dont need it my experiance with deamper show me that 2 times minimum helps me to avoid faults ( on Iron Butt rally from 20 hours of riding)
And in addition we have not so good roads/ So sometimes very good road immediatle can be changed for few Km of very bad for example and so on... With bike all ok at the moment.
Sorry for my Enflish..

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Just rising the rear of the bike around 20mm will settle the front end and give a more planted feel.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome lamantin77.

Please don't apologise for your English. It is far, far better than any of our Russian!

·
Registered
192 Posts
hard acceleration will cause the front end to get a little light but no head shake and definitely no reason to install a steering damper. I can't imagine why you would need one, but sometimes you don't need a good reason for a farkle :D

·
Registered
448 Posts
@Woody - do you have a link to a kit for raising the rear end, sounds like a good idea.

@lamantin77 - welcome to the board ! Your english is fine

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice to receive yours welcomes :)
Regarding raising the rear. If I understand it correctly it means that steering angle have to be "sharper" - so it have to be more easely to get in to the turns, but bike in common have to be in this case more let say "nervous" / This is for me, because bike have to be more sporty/ But in this case deamper become more profit/
As Im right ?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Shan reckons that the FJR benefits from a damper, so he might have some ideas for you.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
The Fjr 01-02 was quite un-settling as the front end can get light (less feel) this is mainly due to the rubbish rear shock loading up under power and making the front lift a bit.

The best mod is to change the shock to a good aftermarket model as it will control the pogoing effect.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
boofer said:
@Woody - do you have a link to a kit for raising the rear end, sounds like a good idea.
There 3 methods of raising the rear:

1, Fitting shorter dog bones.

2, Fitting a spring spacer which increases the preload.

3, Change the shock for good after market model which should not compress so much.

I went for option 3 as I needed a better shock anyway to cope with extra weight when touring.

You could try lowering the yokes 3-4mm which will help a bit.

Lamantin77 said:
Nice to receive yours welcomes :)
Regarding raising the rear. If I understand it correctly it means that steering angle have to be "sharper" - so it have to be more easely to get in to the turns, but bike in common have to be in this case more let say "nervous" / This is for me, because bike have to be more sporty/ But in this case deamper become more profit/
As Im right ?
You are correct. But on the Fjr the rear shock is terrible and may cause the bike to weave if pushed hard in the bends which are bumpy.

Just try adjusting out the slack in the suspension before buying anything.
As a tip wind on the rear damping to max to try and control the pogoing from back to front as will help to settle the bike.

·
Registered
448 Posts
What is the best shock for replacement. I plan on keeping this '05(US) for a while and it seems like a good idea. My '03 did not seem to ride as nice as the 05, not sure why, maybe the color.

Boof

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
boofer said:
What is the best shock for replacement. I plan on keeping this '05(US) for a while and it seems like a good idea. My '03 did not seem to ride as nice as the 05, not sure why, maybe the color.

Boof
In the US the 03 had softer springs all round as the 05 was 10-15% harder.

The best shock is a hard one, Ohlins, Pensike, Technoflex & Wibers (but not had any experience of these yet) I always go for a shock that suit's the load requirements for touring and if poss a good compromise on solo riding.
A remote preload is a must if loading up the bike.
I've got a Technoflex and had it built to my requirements so I knew what I was getting .

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
It can get right wallowy and unsettled with the OEM shocks after 10k miles. Thanks to a group buy, I now have a Wilbers shock on back and their springs up front. A MUCH improved ride and more stable handling up front as a result of the stronger rear suspension.

For you Yuping folks, the Wilbers is even more convenient as it's based on Germany.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
marshman said:
Shan reckons that the FJR benefits from a damper, so he might have some ideas for you.
Could you help how to get in contact with them

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
He occasionally visits the site and posts under the nom de guerre of Shan FR. This is his profile, you could always try dropping him a Private Message.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have only seen one FJR with a steering damper It was parked up at a bike meet in France It had German number plates on it.
It was the type we used to use many years ago Fixed around the fork leg, set on the inside of the right leg and then to a bracket that was fixed to the fixing for the fairing ,where the inner and outer fairings meet ,the fairing fixes to the frame at that point.
It was a Ohlins.
I believe that a good steering damper would be a bonus when pushing the fjr hard on uneven roads and when doing long distances fully loaded .
It would allow you to just put your feet up and have a brew with out stopping :D

Was going to replay to this yester day but still haven’t got over the shock :shock: of waking up to 180mm of snow.
Now the sun is back out and its 16c and rising and all the snow has gone :D

Marshman my profile is a lot wider than that ,Mind you looking at the fjr Christmas drinks photos there seem to be one or two that have the same problem :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Sorry Shan, I thought you had fitted a damper. My mistake. :oops:

We had 4 inches just after Christmas and it hung around for a week.
Just goes to show that depth isn't everything :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
marshman said:
Sorry Shan, I thought you had fitted a damper. My mistake. :oops:

We had 4 inches just after Christmas and it hung around for a week.
Just goes to show that depth isn't everything :lol:
We have aprox 30-40 may be more ( I dont know standarts how to measure several standarts)
:wink:
SO 1st April we usualy open season/
Some times early

1 - 19 of 19 Posts