FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ARGH!!!!! My baby has spent the night in the local multi-story car park, all cold & lonely; went to start it up after work last night & although the key went in the ignition ok & would turn back to put the parking lights on, it wouldnt turn the other way to release the steering lock or start the bike. After an hour or so of fiddling I gave up & called the AA (thats the Automobile Association, not Alchoholics Anon) When they finally turned up, they couldnt start it either, nor could they recover it back home for me, apart from not having any bike trailers available, even if they had someone on duty with one, the steerring needs to be unlocked to put the bike on.
So today I robe the wifes bike to work & hopefully the bike shop are coming to have a go at fixing mine, or at least getting it out of the car park, after all it is only 7 months old so still well within warranty!!
Any one got any ideas as to what would cause this? I should say that it is unlikely to have been tampered with where it was parked.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Have you tried rocking the bike fore&aft and throwing the steering the little bit that is possible?
I had a problem w/ not being able to unlock the steering and found that after putting the bike in neutral and moving it just a bit I could turn the key. My best guess is that there was some tension in the steering column that caused the lock cylinder to bind.
Good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
It could be that with all the wonderfull weather we haven't been having some of the road crud/salt has got up there in the lock and is making it stick. I have been having intermittent trouble with me hooters just lately, and i think that's probably because of all the crud getting thrown up at them and me trying (desperately) to keep the bike clean washing it so often has got water into the connections. WD40 seems to cure my problems. Good luck.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update on my bike: Just had the car park operator in swearing about the bike shop blokes, apparently they reckoned it had been tampered with. He has cctv & is very offended that they should suggest a bike got damaged "on his watch"
Then they took a hammer & bolster to the inition (ouch!! glad I wasnt there) still at least they have taken it, havent spoken to the bike shop yet but sounds like I'm off the road for a while :-(

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
In the recent cold snap - wasn't frozen was it?

Yeah, I know it went to park, but maybe the tumblers were frozen the other way?

Rocking the handlebars - also BTDT to free the lock.

Damaged key? - did you try your spare. Mine got a bit worn and I switched to the spare.

Let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@stuart: that would be my guess too, bike is absolutely covered in grit & muck after the last few days.
@wess: I shook & bumped the bloody thing every way you could think of :cry:
@rabbit: tried everything including spare key & lots of lube

·
Registered
728 Posts
Tony, this happened to my husband's bike in Spain last year. Turned out that someone had tried to pinch the bike and completely broke the lock, leaving the bike immobilised. We had to get the bike temporarily fixed by a dealer so we could get home. That helped my Spanish no end I can tell you!

They were stopped from nickiing the bike because of the disc lock, but then the bike was left with another problem: since they had tried to force it off the centre stand, they had somehow twisted the centre stand and it was almost impossible to get on the centre stand after that.

We sorted the problem with a trade - in. :wink:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
stuart said:
I have been having intermittent trouble with me hooters just lately
Tony said:
...tried everything including spare key & lots of lube
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Seriously, I know you managed to turn the lock in one direction, but is the guard sure that some little scrote hasn't superglued it?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spoke to my dealer last night & they are replacing the "damaged" parts under warranty, I asked if they had diagnosed the problem but apparently after the "work" needed to remove the unit it was pretty much destroyed so they really dont have an idea.
To be fair despite initially concluding it must have been tampered with, they have taken my word that it was most unlikely & are doing the work under warranty without any hassle. Might be something to do with the guy in the car park getting stroppy about his CCTV :lol:
All being well I'm expecting to have it back in the middle of next week, Also taken the oppertunity to have a pair of new Bridgestones fitted while its in the shop anyway, old ones are getting a bit to smooth!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@james1300: I think it was well beyond being lubed, could have squirted enough down that lock to keep the "Village People" lubed for a year & it wouldnt have helped; hammer, bolster & drill was all that was required by the "technician" to free it up. Went to visit the bike on Tuesday & what a mess!! just filings & twisted metal where the ignition was supposed to be. Apperantly its costing Yamaha 500 odd UK Pounds for parts, plus the labour on top so its going to be a big bill (for them)
Garage just rang & providing they have had chance to get the tyres that I ordered on as well, I should be up & running tommorow!! Bearing in mind the damage I'm really pleased with that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 02 which has only seen summers and is covered over in the garage over winter but I have just had the exact same problem.
It will turn on the sidelights but was in no way going to release the steering lock. It definately has not been tampered with and after a load of wd40 and a LOT of patience it finally released it so I'm now very reluctant to put the lock back on again in case it gets worse and £500 seems expensive way of finding out. Is this a more common problem than Yamaha are letting on??????

1 - 15 of 15 Posts