FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets get this party started! :lol:
I have booked the entire month of MARCH 2007 as long service leave.... so pick any date in March! :ale:

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Phil, I'm just juggling a few long-term planning issues. We always have 2 conferences we need to organise in Feb/March; and also Zea will be conducting a wedding in March - date to be confirmed. At this stage I suggest the probable weekend is the 2nd one - Friday 10/Saturday 11 March.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
State of Origin 2007 is on Friday 16 and Sat 17 March. There will be the inaugural ?? in the week leading up to this. Keep these dates free, and watch this space.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
The planning for the first Annual 'FJR Odyssey' is in hand. It will be called the 'Back to our Roots' Odyssey, and will include:
Our Motorcycling Roots
Our Heritage Roots
Our Aviation/Defence Roots
Our Rail Transport Roots
And whatever we can get when we get home :oops:

Plan to be away from home from Sunday 11 March to Sunday 18 March. Remember that it will culminate in the State of Origin meet on Friday/Saturday 16/17 March, so even if you don't make the full Odyssey you can make the SoO dinner and ride.

The total round trip from home, back to home, for riders from Sydney or Brisbane will be approx 2,500k's but each day will include enough coffee stop opportunities to be very pillion friendly. For guys riding alone there will be alternative routes that can add to the distance and the corners.

It will include many of the best motorcycle roads on the east coast of Australia.

Keep watching this space. It will be good, very good :mrgreen:

Odyssey Definition:
[noun] a long wandering and eventful journey

·
Registered
361 Posts
David,

Count me in mate!!!! Sounds like a great weeks worth of riding.

M :shock: se

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Jim, still working on the details, but at this stage the planning is that the SoO venue is close to the NSW/Qld border - not more than an hour either side. The original idea was Kyogle, but this is proving to be a bit featureless as a place, although there is good riding all around.

The route will probably run from south (around 2 to 3 hours north of Sydney) and wind north, ending about 2 to 3 hours south of Brisbane. The idea is that the Qld riders can get to the start in 1 day (Sunday 11 Mar) with Sydneysiders having a 2 to 3 hour ride to the start; and the NSW riders can get home in 1 day (Sun 18 Mar) with Brissie riders having a 2 to 3 hour ride home.

So a Sydneysider coming to the SoO only will be able to get there on Friday 9 Mar, and get home on Sunday 11 Mar.

·
Registered
215 Posts
A stroll in the park compaired to I have a Dream Ride for me. I will be there :ale:

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Hi all - I am having some email trouble - please email me at david(at)eagle.id.au and I'll reply sending you some info. That will save me turning this computer into small and diverse unidentified electrical components.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Yes it is, JWM. My plans for the Odyssey are coming unstuck - I have the route planned, but timing off work etc may not happen. Also, the other part of the 'organisation' (Fastdevil/Phil 'Butts') who has done good stuff with SoO accomodation arrangements in the past, has now moved from Crescent Head to the Gold Coast (actually moving his furniture today), so 'our man on the ground' in NSW has become a Queenslander. (We've had some good rides together in the last few weeks). He has changed employers, so his March plans have changed.

So, back to SoO. I know that the Cane Toads had wanted to have a SoO in Qld, but that makes it a real long haul for the Cockroaches. I favour going back to the original concept (for the next one pending future review) of meeting midway between Sydney and Brisbane. Dorrigo is good. Means we all ride in on Friday, ride together Saturday, ride home Sunday. If we avoid a long weekend it means only 1 day off work.

Then, sometime later we can explore the 5-day Odyssey idea again.

If this is good, lets suggest a venue (Dorrigo, Armidale, Uralla or Walcha) and a weekend. Some possibilities are: Last weekend in March; 3rd weekend in April or 2nd weekend in May. At this stage my preference would be 2nd weekend in May, but really, any would be fine.

And lastly, we mave have a second SoO to coincide with the MotoGP later in the year, but let's get some dates on that first.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Any of those venues are fine with me and I will have to wait and see what happens with the dates. I am still trying to organise a cruise for March or April, but unfortunately Regina is having difficulties with her passport application and we are not sure when and if those difficulties will be resolved.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Fellow Cane Toads and Cockroaches,

I have previously stayed at the Urunga Ocean View Hotel (Pub) and rode towards Armidale via Dorrigo and Ebor Falls. Very nice riding!!! Dorrigo in my opinion doesn't offer very much in the way of accomodation, food etc. The ride from Urunga to Dorrigo is fantastic up the ranges. Maybe if we were to meet at the Urunga Pub....riders from both QLD and Sydney can tackle the ranges fresh in the morning. We could all meet up at the pub and wind-down that evening , get to know eachother......and ride together in the morning. (much safer option) The publican there is very friendly and our bikes were able to be securely parked around the back of the pub.
What do you think SoO peoples?

MooSe :ale:

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Moose - funny you should suggest that hotel - that was the venue of the inaugural SoO, but it was the same day as the local race course had their 'cup' (I think it was the Urunga cup). Pub filled with drunken revellers who kept us amused until 1am :ale: :ale: and bathrooms down the hall.

Dorrigo does have fine accomodation, so that will also be OK (have stayed there too - maybe better eating facilities).

Let's see what dates line up, and the venue will follow.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Howdy All,

Urunga might be the go... As David said, Dorrigo was ok too. Just depends where we want to ride on the Saturday....

Count me in, I need a new shirt !! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's official, I am now a Queenslander :lol: :?
Don't feel any different, but I have noticed I ride like a bloody idiot :? Must be something in the water up here.
Count me in, Dorrigo is fine, however, look at the Coachmans Inn at Nymboida, very nice place.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Need Dates..Need Ride...

Hi all,

Fifi has been locked away from many a month now, and every time I visit her to see if she still starts, she nudges me...winks, and demands to know.."WHEN ARE YOU GUNNA RIDE ME YOU B$%#^@".

Our move to Sydney has been delayed due to building delays (now looks like June), and all my stuff is still in storage (incl FJR).

Have not ridden for 4 months. Too much travelling for work, Irma's dad passed away in Jan, and we are only on the coast (home) to pickup mail. All our time is now spent at bankstown, with Irma's mum.

So, I HAVE TO ATTEND THE SoO! Mar/Apr/May...whatever (just remember March 24th is Election weekend in NSW).

All the best
Dave

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi Big Daddy, good to catch up with you again.
My last correspondence with David suggested that the dates for the 2007 SOO were the 1st or 2nd weekend in May. The destination was Dorrigo. I'll leave it at that and let David fill in the rest.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts