FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010 fjr1300
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not as dramatic as it sounds. Still getting used to my new (for me) 2010 fjr. Went to Walmart no problem. Upon leaving I sat on the bike inserted and turned key, put red in run position and hit start button. I believe the sidestand was up. Bike started ok, touched the throttle and it died. Same routine a second time, same results. Tried once more, bike started fine and got me home (25 miles) no issues. On reaching home I shut fjr down, waited, then restarted. No problem. Just a glitch??? Sidestand switch ??? Nothing to be concerned about??? Input appreciated.

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300A
129 Posts
My 2009 has always done this if I abruptly blip the throttle ever so slightly at idle it will just die. I can only remember it ever happening immediately after starting. I actually just managed to pull it off the other day but that’s the first time in probably close to two years. I guess sometimes my inner Harley rider comes out and my wrist can’t help but blip a couple revs after starting. Picked the habit up on my old carbed 600.

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300A
129 Posts
I bet one of the technical guys could tell us why. All I know is she doesn’t like that. So I stopped doing it lol.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,628 Posts
I got nuthin much..... see if it repeats......... after you start it, maybe don't touch the throttle for 15 seconds?

Reactions: StreamRider

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,422 Posts
I believe the order you are doing things may be contributing. With the red button in the off position the fuel pump does not run to pressurize the fuel rail. Change up- red button to ON, turn key and wait until hum stops, then start. See what happens.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've never understood using the red button (kill switch) to turn motor off. Just turn ignition switch on or off. A buddy of mine uses red button to turn motor off, then leaves his key on to drain the battery. The red button just seems like an extra step that's not really required. I used kill switches as a kid while riding dirt bikes when the throttle would stick.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think one theory is sorta a muscle memory thing. In a panic or drop instinct will be to automatically reach for the switch to kill the engine rather than reaching for the key.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,422 Posts
Different strokes for different folks. Some use the kill switch (mostly me), some use the kickstand (sometimes me) and others use the key, etc. Whatever works for you. To each his own! Personally, I like not fumbling around for the key. I have a GPS and a Helibar Bridge in the way, plus sometimes having bulky gloves on doesn't help. IMO it's just way easier to me to hit the red button. And remember, not all bikes have the key up front and center. The FJR in fact was the first bike I ever owned that did. Most others I've owned had it down low near the engine. I guess I just developed and continue on with the simple red button kill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts