FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the Forum ,Hi everyone ***** would like info on installing the
Starcom or Autocom on a 2004 fjr.Best place to install main unit/best place for helmet jacks. Ive got lots of questions. Thanks :roll:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi,

I don't have an FJR just yet (working on it though) so can't help with best location etc.

However, I do have a Starcom (one of the older models, for 2 years) mounted in my existing ride, and can vouch for it's quality. I feed my TomTom GPS and phone (via Starcoms bluetooth module) into the unit. I also use the rider pillion functionality. Everything works faultlessly.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what recomendations you get for placement.

Regards,

Glenn

·
Registered
18 Posts
Starcom1 placed on top of wheel arch under pillion seat. Due to low current draw its soldered into the lighting circuit.

No helmet jacks, I just run the connector out of the left side of the helmet. When not in use I push it back into the lining. I use Caberg Justissimo flip front and V2 full face.

Phone,GPS and PMR all plug in easily. I haven't had to adjust intercom volume since first installation over 12 months ago. As yet no problems.

Phone sits in tool tray on top of PCIII. PMR sits in rear light pod/well. Headset cables - pilot , underseat and up front of tank, pillion out between pilot and pillion seat.

Have fun and don't have the music too loud

Scaley.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you get the Starcom make sure you get the Bluetooth connector for your phone, great to connect up without having to think about it & one less wire to plug in; it works great to.
Autocom also have a bluetooth phone connetion but I've no personal experience of it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
@Tony
I use an IPAQ 6500 for both phone and TomTom in the car, I use a seperate phone on the bike. When using bluetooth for tomtom I get the first part of the direction 'warning' cut off . This is probably a problem of the 6500 and/or my earpiece, but wondered if you'd experienced this? This delay is the only thing stopping me from getting the Starcom BT unit.

Scaley

·
Registered
185 Posts
@scaleyf:
I'm using a Garmin 2720 hard wired to my Starcom & then my phone (Nokia N70) connects via the matchbox sized Starcom Bluetooth. Very pleased with the setup, no problems other than I still find the Starcom connectors pretty rubbish for using with gloves; mind you that new Autocom does look nice!! my problem, always after new toys!!!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
[quote="Tony mind you that new Autocom does look nice!! [/quote]

If their active noise reduction system works as well as the brochure says then we might be tempted to replace our old Autocom unit.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Marshman,
I've replaced the old autocom for the new one and can say that its a much better sound quality. I run a Garmin Street pilot unit, a creative Zen MP3 player, bike to bike and of course rider to pillion. The music automatically reduces volume when something else comes on.

I do occasionally get sensory overload though!!!!!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Pete, which one did you get? I'm particularly intrigued by the record out feature as it would make some of the ride videos a little more interesting with some commentary recorded.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had a look at the Autocom site yesterday, downloaded and printed off their brochure, watched all their vids, grabbed a list of dealers I can get to.

From the referals, many from reviews in popular bike mags (ones I've read) not only rate it highest, but as the only recommended unit. Basically 2nd best wasn't worth buying.
Sounds to good to be true. The video's on the site are truly impressive.

I'm after a simple set up, GPS, MP3 music, and rider <-> pillion comms. Maybe phone as well, but not that bothered about it.
The Easi-Plus Kit 150 looks to fulfill my needs well, but I'm stuck wondering about the headsets.
Basically, they have 3 headset.
Easi-Plus kit 150 = headset A = dual mono with noise cancelling
Actve-Plus kit 200 = headset B = stereo with noise cancelling
Super 300 = ProV or something headset = stereo with noise cancelling and active VOX.

The 150 looks to be enough, but the purist in me wants the real stereo, and the perfectionist in me wants the full monty with the better headset and VOX.

I'm looking at mounting it all in a tank bag, will run power if needed.

Anyone have any experiences?
Manxpete, which one are you running?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ian and ZagZyg,
Just been on Autocom site and it looks as though mine (Active 7 Smart kit 3 )bought late last year has now been updated but I am more than happy with the performance which icorporates full stereo and vox.

If you are looking to power up a tank bag go to http://www.powerletproducts.com/products/ptb.php for the Powermate Tangbag Power System - work a treat and is very tidy

·
Registered
721 Posts
Damn Pete, youhad us all excited there thinking you'd got the latest model. :lol: Never mind will have to see if they're coming to the Scottish Motorcycle Show this year. :wink:

·
Registered
721 Posts
How's that for quick service. Sent an e-mail to Autocom at 15.14 asking whether they'll be at the show and got this reply at 15.36.

Hi Ian,

We will be there, we are working along side Bike Source. We will be
selling our new systems so pop over and we can do you a demo no
problems.

Regards

Richard Wallace

Autocom Products Ltd

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Curses, thought manxpete had one of Autocoms new models there to give us his unbiased opinion as well.

Autocom have certainly been busy in the shed with the soldering iron though, and if the new intercoms perform as well as they look on paper then they'll stay ahead of the competition IMHO. However, don't know if it'll be a big enough difference to make me buy a new one. The ability to have two phones connected at once may be useful, but not something I'd be doing every day :lol:
Had a little play with them on their stand at Ally Pally, and my first thoughts were to wonder how robust they are going to be. The new rider and pillion volume controls seemed a bit cheap and don't look like they will cope very well under the seat bouncing around with the toolkit. That being said there have been few issues with robustness in the past (apart from last years recall to replace the leads) so they'll prolly be ok.

·
Registered
148 Posts
New Autocom Models

Just got news of when the new products will be available in the US, orders will ship after march 15th, special pricing will be available and is outlined below.

Super AVi Kit 300 rider only $380.00 (Lots of cool features)
Rider & Pass $460.00 (new B speakers

Active plus Kit 200 rider only $250.00 (Std old style headsets)
Rider & Pass $320.00 " "

easi plus Kit 100 rider only $190.00 (why bother not stereo)
$240.00

Bike to Bike base Kits $170.00 Kenwood , Cobra, or Motorola

Contact me for other information and specials for :ale: board members

918-446-2245

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
I'll be talking to you soon about rider-to-passenger stuff, Kieth. Our headset speakers are in tatters, (we need new 2up helmets, anyway) and wifey and I love the sound of the ER6s, but we're pretty sick of all the wires.

:)

·
Registered
177 Posts
For the guys with Autocom kit, remember that the Starcom Blue Tooth unit also works with the Autocom system and is far cheaper.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Yeah, we still use those for longer rides, as the music sounds much better. But on shorter rides, we just use the helmet speakers over the earplugs. We called yesterday a longer ride and popped in the ER6s. They rock.

The biggest niggle with the ER6s is the extra pair of wires coming from the Autocom to the helmet. That's a total of 4 different wires floating around the rider compartment. I never got around to doing it David1300's way - having the ER6s plugged into a little jack on the helmet (remember, wifey had another baby and I never got around to it) but I'm hoping to do it that way when we re-do the system with new helmets.

The ER6s are PRIMO in-ear speakers. They sound like sitting between a very good pair of audio monitors, and they serve as very effective earplugs as well. I'm an 'earplugs-always' type, so when we're using the helmet speakers instead, they only try to blare over the earplugs, which sounds rather crappy, and there's a lot of, "HUH?"

Also, because our current helmet speakers were installed by 'super-clutz' (me) they've never fit quite right. I'm betting Kieth could do it right. ;)

:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Those ear pieces sound like they would be really cool. Where did you get them? I am planning on getting an AutoCom once my FJR gets here. Did we ever get a verdict on which was better?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts