FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Seattle., while the set-up looks real cool on the FJR, there is considerable disagreement on the effectiveness of this filter (manufacturers comments not withstanding !). For the life of me, I can`t understand how a chunk of metal with holes cut with a laser, can filter particles better than the best paper media. Think about it. Look at the metal screen. Can you see holes....yes. Now look at a piece of filter paper. Can you see holes....no. In my not so humble opinion, that fancy piece of metal represents technology gone awry :!:

·
Registered
45 Posts
scotts blow!

schucks is wright, nothing filters better than a paper type filter. Plus; how the hell are you gonna be SURE you cleaned this Scotts 100% clean??. And the Cost!...Fuck getta bout it....I been using the wal mart brand filter for 3 yrs on my fjr...? before that 4 yrs on my VFR..$1.97..+ tax.......I could buy more than 40 of these for the price of one Scotts, and never have to clean any...This is one product for which i never understood a need for....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Seattle, this has been discussed on all the boards for the last year or more. Try using the search function for "Scott's" and see what you find. You just got the terse (Direct? Blunt?) reply that gives the summation of the discussions. Nothing personal. IIRC, there are those who have them and use them with no problems and maybe they will chime in here.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have considered the Scotts filter, but can't get over the large pore size of the filter media. Can they beat the small micron size filtered out of paper filters? It's tough to believe. It's disposable paper for me, not the reusable one. TTYL

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have used the Scott for quite a while and haven't blown me or the engine up in my '03 yet :roll:

The reason I use one is the Farkle factor and I think it allows much more oil up to the top end of the motor. But then, I might be all wet, just like the inside of my Scott :D

Be advised that the cleaning of the oil filter is just one more step in the oil changing chore. As far as getting it REALLY CLEAN, just not that anal about things.

So, in conclusion, looks nice - better oil flow (?) - keeps the big chunks in place...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Is it possible the scott's is magnetic?

Is it possible the scott's is magnetic? Sorta like my personality :lol: :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
?Maybe? But then how would you clean it? You would need a bigger magnet, and/or to wipe down every surface...
It looks nice... Maybe if it could be used as a heat sink for a regular paper filter. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: Is it possible the scott's is magnetic?

number2 said:
Is it possible the scott's is magnetic? Sorta like my personality :lol: :D
Is that as in Babe Magnet?

Or more Fridge Magnet? :twisted:

·
Registered
24 Posts
There is a magnet in it. I wipe it clean when I change oil. Usually some splooge sticking to it. Black mud looking stuff. Same as you see on the magnet on the punkin drain plug. If you look at the photo, there is a round black magnet on top of the filter at about the 2 o'clock position.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The magnet inside the filter will probably trap the metal. What about the non magnetic gunk in the oil?
:roll:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just my $0.02 worth .... this type of filter is used in the Aerospace industry a lot for the high pressure fluids, with a stainless steel micronic filters. Low pressure fluids use paper ....... just some trivial information ……….

·
Registered
168 Posts
That`s a good point Seattle....in those high pressure applications, paper probobly would not stand up to the task! :wink:

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
The dirt bike boys swear by these things. They run them with zero trouble on 13,000+ rpm 250F motors. Those things are like a single cylinder R1 motor. My guess is that it's a good product.

I have never used one because I'm lazy and just replace the filter. Not sure I'd trust myself to clean it properly and I don't have a solvent sink, etc.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
20valves said:
I have never used one because I'm lazy and just replace the filter. Not sure I'd trust myself to clean it properly and I don't have a solvent sink, etc.
Bingo. +1

:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just use diesel fuel to swish it out. Then soapy water and let it dry. Actually the filter looks pretty clean. I've never taken a paper filter apart to see what it actually traps, so don't know if I'm missing anything using the mesh filter. I really doubt it, since the motor is pretty much a closed system.

The Scott filter cost about $100 and yes, it is not as easy as changing out a disposable can filter. Mainly bought it for the farkle factor.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts