FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to introduce myself to all of you. My name is SamSpinelli and I live in Rochester, N.Y. I rode an ST1100 for four years and an ST1300 ABS for three years. I enjoyed owning both bikes but it's time for me to move on.

I have seen the light. I traded the ST1300 in October for a 2006 FJR. I am looking forward to a new riding experience and a new web site to help me get the most enjoyment out the FJR. I've been checking your site for a couple of weeks now and I am very impressed with the content and the friendliness of the your (our) membership. Im verry happy to be a part of your (our) group. Happy New Year...Sam

·
Registered
372 Posts
Welcome aboard the site Sam, Happy New Year to you. I hope your new mount will bring you the grin factor that we all enjoy. Looking forward to hearing more from you or even seeing you at one of the rally's, WFO-5 in Reno?
Just checked your profile, veterinary sales eh? I have a 5 vet practice on the left coast of Canada, and there is at least one more dvm here as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am looking forward to joining the FJR1300 family. I currently own a Honda GL1800/A (and love it) but I want a smaller bike when I ride 1 up!

Hope everyone has a great year!

Happy New Year 2006!

Shane

·
Registered
3 Posts
St1300 owner

I am currently the owner of an '03 ST1300 Love the bike except the freakin' heat. Thinking about changing also. Anybody have any information on any heat issues with the '06 FJR relative to the changes with the bodywork. I am also considering a BMW R1200RT. Like Sam I have been a lurker on this site for a long time and nobody seems to have a stick up their a## like some others on the ST sites. :roll:
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Welcome all - always great to have more aboard. I agree that guys here are helpful and friendly, and any stick-poking and eye-gouging is all done without malice.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
I think the poor guy got re-directed to the wrong site!

joshin'

... I hope yammie came through on that heat thing. :D

:)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:11 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the poor guy got re-directed to the wrong site!

joshin'

... I hope yammie came through on that heat thing.
liquid, I thought it was the weight (increase) that made you see (go) red. :wink: just joshin. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Welcome all!

Shane, I traded my GL1800 for the FJR and haven't looked back since. I do not miss the weight, the surge, the slow speed sluggishness or the grandpa image that come with the GoldWing. I'm now spending so much time on great roads that I don't miss the CB, CD changer, cruise control and other fiddly things with the GW. My last two trips out have been with just a tank bag, so I'm not really missing all the empty luggage I carried on the GW. If you love the Sport, I hope you will also find that the FJR has plenty of Tourer as well. No need to pay for all that insurance!

By the way, be prepared to pay more for the FJR! Some companies look at the Sport identity and you end up paying more than for even the GL1800!

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
petey said:
I thought it was the weight (increase) that made you see (go) red.
Ehh, more disappointed with the company's decision to go more toward Dr. Jeckel instead of Mr. Hyde. The FZ1 lost weight and gained HP. But Yamaha let the FJR start eating like Kirstie Alley and didn't work on unleashing any more fury from her 1300 cubies.

Funny, on my FJRs, I tried all the heat mods originally, then found the windshield and PCIII to cure it, and since I've had the Duc almost 2000 miles... it's been cold and damp. I miss the heat most. Second, the big winter windshield and lazy seating position for the 60 mile drone home on the dark interstate earlier this evening. Oh, they say this latest generation of Duc STs have vastly improved headlights... they still don't touch the FJR's stockers. Those were GREAT in comparison. Oh well, mama don't like it when I'm not home by dark, anyway... she starts trying to remember where to find the ramps and the keys to the truck. ;)

Anyone who loves the comfort of the FJR, or the FZ1 need not apply for the Duc STs, IMHO. It feels as skinny and light as a mountain bike compared to the FJR, but it's way more 'sportbike' on the wrists... and perhaps that's why, with the Duc, my drivers license is in sheer peril. LOL I can't seem to behave on the thing. I also did more muddy fire roads on it today, complete with a couple of creek crossings. Hoo, those were a bit hairy.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
@rjwilki13

The FJR heat issue (whilst exists) has only been a big issue for some owners, not all. It depends where you live and the average summer temperatures which increases this problem.

As Yamaha have appeared to listen to our problems and wishes on a number of issues, we can only trust that their R&D department have come up with some answers on the 06 bike. We can only assume that the cockpit cooling vents, airflow system, radiator and adjustable fairing panels will go some way to address the heat problem.

But even with the heat problem, the bike still rocks as a sports tourer and for most owners, this outweighs any disadvantages. You will certainly love the difference against your ST.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Hey Liquid, you say you rode some muddy fire roads today on your Duc, is your bike very dirty. Whenever I see any Ducati, those silly, pretend mud guards always catch my eye, and I try and imagine what the bike is going to look like after a ride on a muddy road.

That, and the chain drive, are the two main reasons why I would never even consider buying an ST Duc.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Not sure what you mean by mud guards, but actually, I'm pretty surprised with how 'not dirty' it is. The flap under the license plate is pretty small, but seems to work flawlessly. I've been riding in rain, dirt, snow and salt... and the taillight and license plate are still clean. The rear wheel hugger also seems to keep the chain and wheel-well pretty clean. The front wheel does load up the front of the fairing with schmoo, including that cute little #2 radiator, but it doesn't worry me.

Here it is after 2 of the 4 fire roads:

Note the cute little recess behind the front wheel. Gunk likes to sit there. But note the cans and swing arm stay pretty clean. (Hey, that front wheel is missing its chicken strips, doesn't that thing know it's winter-time?)

I felt exactly the same way on 'shaft vs. chain,' but after the ST1100s and FJRs, I realized there's not a huge difference in maintenence required for my weekend riding habits. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I commuted on it constantly, but as it is... if it's been through prolonged mess, I'll WD it and 'Honda Red Can' it after the ride.

I'm amazed with Honda Red Can on chains. It goes on dry, and the schtuff just don't come off! All these messy rides lately, and the chain still sits clean and snug in its coat of lubrication. On the dirt bikes, I run X-ring chains and they get scrubbed after every woods ride, therefore WD40 is perfect for them, but with 'red can' on the street bike chains, I don't have to touch 'em very often.

·
Super Moderator
3,962 Posts
Shane Stump said:
I too am looking forward to joining the FJR1300 family. I currently own a Honda GL1800/A (and love it) but I want a smaller bike when I ride 1 up! - Shane
+1

Except I came from a 98se (and 10 years on Wings) when I sold it and got the FJR1300 as a (us) first-year bike ('03 US model delivered in October of 02).

Welcome aboard everyone!

·
Registered
144 Posts
My previous bike was a Yamaha 900 Diversion (I think it was not available in the US); also with a shaft, side cases, full fairing, etc.

Mine had 64.000 km but I saw a BT (Brigada de Transito - a kind of Portuguese Highway patrol) with almost 270.000! It is known for being the most reliable Yamaha; but also a very good / classic looking and comfortable bike (it is under production since 1994, I think).

But FJR really is another planet: the engine torque looks like the one of a electrical motor - full power in any circumstance, from the start on...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rabbit1300

I am in the Deep South, South Carolina, with high humidity and high temperatures. On a happier note I'm close to the BRP which gives me an excuse to extend my rides in the summer. Also, another benefit is that I took a short ride yesterday...58 degrees...and actually got too warm and had to open the vents on the FieldSheer!!! :shock:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.