FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone that has replaced their front brake lines with Stainless Steel aftermarket lines can you describe them to me? Genlll model non-ES.

Is it one line down to a Y adapter, two lines with a cross over or what?
$400 is the price I’m seeing for a kit which seems far more costly than the last time I bought some.

I have bar backs that included the little unsightly 3” SS extension and this is actually what I want to do away with.

Perhaps a hydraulic shop would be the cheaper route? Besides a clean cool look I don’t remember feeling that much difference in braking.
Thanks.

BTW, any video links to fork springs and seal replacement would be cool too.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,510 Posts
I put a Galfer kit on mine this winter. 11 total lines to replace. Front end has 2 down to the caliper (front circuit and rear link from the ABS unit via the hardlines by the neck) and one that goes from caliper to caliper. The one from the front brake lever goes to the ABS unit - via a 3rd hardline by the neck.

The galfer kit clutch and brake lever lines are a little longer than stock but not 3 inches. Some rerouting may give you some more slack.

Wood Electrical wiring Cable Gas Wire

Reactions: nhsteve

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,053 Posts
Is that kit DOT approved? Not that I care, but SS kits I have installed on other bikes all say, "For Race or Off-road Use Only"

SS brake lines def Do make the handle nice and tight, though!! No Sponge!

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,510 Posts
Is that kit DOT approved? Not that I care, but SS kits I have installed on other bikes all say, "For Race or Off-road Use Only"

SS brake lines def Do make the handle nice and tight, though!! No Sponge!
Their website says they offer DOT approved at no extra cost. No idea what the difference would be.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,764 Posts
What that means is Galfer will provide you a label for each line and you stick it on.... no joke.

When you order Galfer's you can specify longer brake and clutch line.......

HEL made a specific 3" longer brake line if you didn't like that Heli contraption. You'd have to call them...... it used to be $50 a few years back.

Galfer also sold a longer clutch line separately..... pics below, note length I believe was +3" also.

Hood Font Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior
Ruler Tape measure Office ruler Tool Rectangle

• Haha
Reactions: kieefer and Oldjeep

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What that means is Galfer will provide you a label for each line and you stick it on.... no joke.

When you order Galfer's you can specify longer brake and clutch line.......

HEL made a specific 3" longer brake line if you didn't like that Heli contraption. You'd have to call them...... it used to be $50 a few years back.

Galfer also sold a longer clutch line separately..... pics below, note length I believe was +3" also.

View attachment 84392 View attachment 84394
But, doesn’t the line go into a block on the head tube. Is it possible to just replace this one line and adapt it to this block??
2016 model.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,510 Posts
The front brake lever line goes to a block on the neck (head tube) where it heads to the abs pump. Yes, you could just replace that one line.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I put a Galfer kit on mine this winter. 11 total lines to replace. Front end has 2 down to the caliper (front circuit and rear link from the ABS unit via the hardlines by the neck) and one that goes from caliper to caliper. The one from the front brake lever goes to the ABS unit - via a 3rd hardline by the neck.

The galfer kit clutch and brake lever lines are a little longer than stock but not 3 inches. Some rerouting may give you some more slack.
Hey, Chuck, I'm putting essentially the same Galfer kit on mine right now. Not to highjack the thread, but hopefully to add to it: what was the easiest part and the hardest part of the install? Any tips/tricks you learned the hard way?
I know I'm not looking forward to priming/bleeding all those lines.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,510 Posts
Hey, Chuck, I'm putting essentially the same Galfer kit on mine right now. Not to highjack the thread, but hopefully to add to it: what was the easiest part and the hardest part of the install? Any tips/tricks you learned the hard way?
I know I'm not looking forward to priming/bleeding all those lines.
Easiest part was the front end brake lines. They are pretty easily accessable
Worst part was getting the old clutch line out of the inaccessible clamp. You have to chop one end off the existing line and then really pull hard.
There was also at least one banjo bolt on the ABS pump that was kind of a pain.

Bleeding wasn't too bad after I installed a full set of speed bleeders.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)