FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my wife was not able to join me for a spring break trip to see my parents in FL last week, she suggested that on my way back she would meet my daugther and I for a long weekend at a cabin in Pigeon Forge. Well...thoughts immediately turned to the 2005 fall EOM that we were lucky enough to participate in and I was soon scrounging through my old ride maps from that fantastic fall weekend.

On Friday the lady's hit the shopping and I was off to do the "Wicked Beast" all over again. What a ride that is. The Cherohala Skyway was quite interesting above 3k feet. Lots of salt and sand piled up from a previous snowstorm put my mediocre skills to the test. From there it was off to 129, Deals Gap and the Dragon. Only 20 bikes or so at Deals Gap on Friday and not another FJR in site. But what do I see, none other than a huge 18 wheeler heading up the hill from Deals Gap to tackle the Dragon. I decided to wait another 10 minutes to give him plenty of time to get through. He must have made it because I never ran into him again. I'm guessing it wasn't his first time!

On Saturday I'm getting geared up to ride and my 17 year old daughter says, "Hey Dad, I want to ride with you today". I was thrilled and got her suited up in my wife's gear and away we went. I started pushing it a little bit on the Foothills Parkway to test her bravery and never heard a word out of her. We ran the Dragon at medium pace, stopped at Deals Gap for a snack and she wanted a T-Shirt and she said why don't you push it a little harder on the way back. I thought she was just acting tough and thought I'll show her. We headed back north on the Dragon again and I was giving it all I could. She was doing a fantatic job leaning with me in the turns. I could feel her move her head from side to side as we switched back and forth on the 318 turns. We stopped at the overlook and she had a big smile on her face and said "this is great, why haven't we done this before?" Well that made for one proud papa and I can't wait for our next opportunity for a little father/daughter ride through the mountains.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Wonderful road, I hear. I've never been there when there wasn't loads of traffic or freezing drizzle.

Always fun to give the kids a ride. My wife's fearless, but the kids aren't... not that I'd push that hard with them aboard anyway.

:)

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Racetom920 said:
We stopped at the overlook and she had a big smile on her face and said "this is great, why haven't we done this before?" Well that made for one proud papa and I can't wait for our next opportunity for a little father/daughter ride through the mountains.
Never forget that moment, and repeat it as often as you can.

Many 17 year old girls would prefer not to be seen with their Dad (after all, you're old, and you're a man is the way I heard one 19 year old describe it to a 40-something friend) and the times that we can share with our kids are precious. Makes me feel good just reading about it (and now the mini-lecture - Look after that precious cargo, 'cause we don't wanna hear 'bout you dumping her in the sand and salt!).

Onya Racetom, you must be doing lotsa things right for your daughter to ask to spend time with you. :D :D :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sincerely appreciate and understand the safety comments. The dragon can be a dangerous place. I know I didn't ever push it past my abilities but the second time around was certainly quicker. Maybe giving it "all I can" was a bit of story telling, but regardless, I'll remember your comments next time she's with me. Hopefully that will be soon!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts