FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is how I found my bike the other morning. Well, maybe it wasn't quite that bad before I turned the key, I'm not sure. At first I thought it was the result of a theft attempt, but I see no evidence of cut wiring, my cover was not (that I noticed) disturbed, etc.

So, no I hear there's a known ground issue with some of these bikes... mine's an 09. Any way I can check vs the VIN?

I figure I'll replace the right barcon switchset / wiring for sure, any other items (besides fuses) that need inspecting / likely repair or modification?

I don't know if I had any of the classic symptoms before this happened, but I can't say I did NOT. I thought I was out of gas the other day (last segement on gas flashing, bike died) but was able to re-start and limp to a station. I also suspected I was a bot down on power / mpg lately, but that could be a change in weather or gas.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,704 Posts
That looks like mice damage to me, they chew wires....
Ground spider issues are a different thing...... 2006-2012 but more in the earlier half of that range. You should locate the ground spiders and service them anyway, regardless of your other wiring woes.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
This is how I found my bike the other morning. Well, maybe it wasn't quite that bad before I turned the key, I'm not sure. At first I thought it was the result of a theft attempt, but I see no evidence of cut wiring, my cover was not (that I noticed) disturbed, etc. So, no I hear there's a known ground issue with some of these bikes... mine's an 09. Any way I can check vs the VIN?
I figure I'll replace the right barcon switchset / wiring for sure, any other items (besides fuses) that need inspecting / likely repair or modification?
I don't know if I had any of the classic symptoms before this happened, but I can't say I did NOT. I thought I was out of gas the other day (last segement on gas flashing, bike died) but was able to re-start and limp to a station. I also suspected I was a bot down on power / mpg lately, but that could be a change in weather or gas.
Seb,

Welcome to the sandbox! pull up a seat, and be among friends.

Here is a link to check on factory recalls (free factory maintenance). Bring your VIN.
There is a phone number there, also:
Yamaha mothership

Replacing the handlebar switch (with attached wiring) is a good plan. Check everywhere you can, to find other damaged wiring. For some reason, rodents like to nest in the FJR air filter, and behind the rear seat.

The last segment of the fuel indicator flashes when the fuel remaining is very low, and a mile-count starts to give some idea of how far you have gone, with that last segment flashing. 30 miles is really stretching things, there. A stall-out, shake the bike, and restart is a lucky thing, but quite possible. What you describe is normal operation, when the FJR is almost running out of gas. I suggest using top-tier gas, 85~87 octane. A can of Seafoam (or any good fuel injector cleaner), mixed to label specs, is a good idea now and then, and more often if you use cheap gas. Seafoam is magic, but not instant magic. It takes a coupla tanks, to do its' thing.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Replacing the handlebar switch (with attached wiring) is a good plan. Check everywhere you can, to find other damaged wiring. For some reason, rodents like to nest in the FJR air filter, and behind the rear seat.
Or if you are handy doing electrical work, repair it.

Pop the individual pins out of the connector block(keep track) to separate the wires. Put heatshrink on each wire. Trim the breaks on the outer covering. Cover that with a couple layers of heatshrink, overlapping the break in the cover. The right handlebar wiring does not carry a lot of current so you should be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts