FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I don't get the added fuel cell.....after 200 miles or so I WANT a break to stretch my legs/walk and/or grab a drink/snack bar whatever.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't get the added fuel cell.....after 200 miles or so I WANT a break to stretch my legs/walk and/or grab a drink/snack bar whatever.
I beg to differ with u So.Cal....thats what the cruise control is for. You put it on cruise control and close your eyes for a bit to rest. Pilots do it all the time.:D

·
Registered
283 Posts
Wow, serious long hauler........i dont get the tank insulation....iirc...warm fuel will give you better mileage.....cold fuel more dense, using more fuel....
I saw this for sale on. ADVRider yesterday......says he has a custom top box for it....

Iron butt, anyone?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Not these IBA-type riders. They like having 400+ miles range. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Maybe the "fuel cell" crowd are traveling in places where fuel is scarce. Off the grid people who camp or get lost on purpose types.
While fuel for many of us is just an easy stop, I have been really annoyed by having to cut a ride short and go looking for fuel along some river roads like the Mississippi and Illinois rivers. That was on the old superhawk thimble that doubles as a fuel tank. The new FJR will likely not have the same problem given the almost double useable range.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wow, serious long hauler........i dont get the tank insulation....iirc...warm fuel will give you better mileage.....cold fuel more dense, using more fuel....
I saw this for sale on. ADVRider yesterday......says he has a custom top box for it....

Iron butt, anyone?
The insulation is under the tank to keep the rider cooler. There's only so many btus in the fuel, temperature does not make a difference once its in the tank. I have heard reports of fuel boiling in the tank.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Cooler fuel = better performance. Old drag racing trick is to run a coil of the fuel line through a container filled with dry ice.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hey CAV, I had a superhawk also. That was a great bike but fuel range was something you always had to keep in mind. I got 160 miles on a tank with that thing, ONCE. Usually between 80 and 120 then that little red LED would come on.

·
Registered
174 Posts
;-);-)
Cooler fuel = better performance. Old drag racing trick is to run a coil of the fuel line through a container filled with dry ice.
Disclaimer: I am not a engine guy or hot rod enthusiast, but I do design combustion controls for power plants. I can be and am most likely 100% wrong.

With a constant fuel pump, you will flow more mass at lower temperatures. So as Pterodactyl says is on the money, for a engine without Oxygen feedback control. It just feeds fuel based on throttle input, the amount of fuel will vary slightly based on temperature.

Now a modern "smart" engine uses Oxygen feedback controls. If the fuel, lets call it BTU value is high because the fuel is cool the ECU will detect a low excess Oxygen reading and slowly decrease the fuel feed rate.

Essentially, the computer meters the fuel input based on throttle position and Exaust Oxygen content.

At least thats how it works in my mind, like I said, probably 100% wrong.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey CAV, I had a superhawk also. That was a great bike but fuel range was something you always had to keep in mind. I got 160 miles on a tank with that thing, ONCE. Usually between 80 and 120 then that little red LED would come on.
Red light of death was a constant reminder

1 - 15 of 15 Posts