FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
IMG_0707.JPG

Long story short: tried braking on wet pavement that was contaminated by oil. It's like ice, as soon as my finger touched the front brake lever, the bike collapsed underneath me and went sliding for what seemed like 2 hours and 23.7 minutes. It just went on and on and on until it finally caught a curb that cracked open the alternator housing and pole vaulted the bike into the ditch head first.
I'm fine, no major injuries, just a bruise on my hip and a slight pain at the ribs and a mild concussion. I was wearing full gear, so I just got up and walked away from a 90kph crash. Wear your gear, people!

The takeaway: you can do everything right, take every precaution you should take, and you still end up in the ditch. There are sometimes circumstances that are completely out of your control and you can do absolutely nothing about them.

The bike is a complete write off with all that damage. No insurance as there is no other party involved and you can't get full overage for a 15 years old vehicle, so I'm fooked - no bike and no money.

Oh, and one more thing.. frame sliders SUCK. Had the bike actually landed on its side fairings, it would have had much more contact surface with the road and would have stopped much sooner. But it was sliding on the frame slider and it didn't really slow the bike down at all.

·
Registered
415 Posts
First off ....ET Voice "Ouuuuuuuuuuuch"...holds out finger.

Second...glads you are ok.

Third...I have full coverage on my 94 VFR750 for $22 a month...so you can in fact have that if you want on another bike.

Hope everything works out.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sorry to hear!

AltRiderr, have you done the math on what they would give you for your bike if totaled minus your deductible and what you are paying for collision? once my bikes are worth less that ten thousand or so I no longer carry collision.

After a few years of doing this on multiple bikes I am ahead of the game even if a bike is totaled. And in this day of being able to sell an engine and other parts on eBay it makes even more sense.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Craaaaap i am so sorry about your mishap, and thank you for sharing your story and pictures for everybody to see and learn something, glad you walked away without any serious injuries (y)

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,738 Posts
I hate seeing stuff like this, glad you're mostly OK.... give it a good wash and see what needs fixing? Although that stator side doesn't look good at all....... might surprise you once cleaned up a bit??

Reactions: wheaton and Oldjeep

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Glad you are ok, and I agree - that doesn't look too bad in terms of fixing it.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,523 Posts
First off ....ET Voice "Ouuuuuuuuuuuch"...holds out finger.

Second...glads you are ok.

Third...I have full coverage on my 94 VFR750 for $22 a month...so you can in fact have that if you want on another bike.

Hope everything works out.
maybe since the OP is someplace like Hungary instead of in the USA insurance is not done the same way. Zoom in on the European style sign, is that Budapest?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
That is the flag of Hungry displayed in his avatar. Good eyes there Rusty.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Very glad you were wearing the gear and were able to walk away without too much damage. Really sorry about the bike though.

Reactions: Gary B.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sorry about this also but like others said, very glad you walked away from it. And while it's ugly to look at thanks for posting up the pics and telling the story. Maybe after a couple of nights sleep and a clean-up you might think to give things a second look repair-wise.

Oh, and maybe with a weak attempt at humor, I guess the sliders did actually work.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the support guys! :)

Yeah, here in Hungary, this bike can't get full coverage insurance because of its age.

I will try one thing before binning the bike: replace the stator-cover-flywheel part because that is the only thing preventing it from running, and take it for a test drive to see if there's any damage to the suspension/frame. If it rides OK, then I'll consider rebuilding it but that is a hard "maybe". The amount of money it would take the replace all the tupperware, both mufflers, windscreen, front subframe, mirrors - I could just get another bike for that.

It's the next morning, my wrist and elbow started hurting a little bit (must have banged it on the pavement), still have a slight headache and the pain in the ribs didn't get worse (but didn't get better either). What hurts the most is my soul. I loved this bike and it kills me that I did nothing wrong and still ended up like this.

Also, I've just spent a fuckton of money on it: new fluids, brakepads, plugs, new OEM windscreen, pannier hole covers (as they didn't come with the bike), new tyres (changed the rear twice as I've got a flat on the first set not even 1000km after fitting).

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
That reminds me so much of my last crash in 2008. I still don't know for sure what I did wrong, but wet pavement is so unpredictable. I'm sure glad you're OK. That's what really matters.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Damage report.

Needs to be replaced, because broken or bent:

Scuffed, but otherwise functional parts that don't need replacing to get the bike running:

Washed the bike to see what's what:

Will try to source the stator stuff next week so I can test ride it and see if it's viable for repair or not.

Quick question: will the bike start without the instrument cluster?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On second thought, straight to the bin it goes.

These are just the essential parts (the broken pile plus the stator-rotor-cover trio). This does not include any of the scuffed parts or mufflers. So over 4000 EUR only gets me to a functional but scuffed and ugly bike. Yeah, no thanks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sorry about that conclusion but dang you work quick! Kudos. With those pieces off and cleaned up it doesn't look all too bad really.

Where the left slider attaches to what looks like a bracket, any stress to the frame where that's bolted on?

Also your crash write-up mentioned it being pole-vaulted into the ditch. Just out of curiosity how did it roll afterwards? Fork damage?

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Yeah, if that is what the parts cost where you live it wouldn't be worth it.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yes the cost of parts plus tax adds up quickly, it seems the best thing to do is take it apart and sell bits and pieces on eBay or local Buy-n-sell, I am sure due to global shortage of parts, and astronomical cost on brand new parts, you will be able to recover a fair bit of money.

It's a bitch when we crash and it takes a while to "forget and move on", and we all learn and live, and hopefully become better riders of our 300kph capable machines.
With motorcycles 90% of the time it's a combination of;
  • surface conditions
  • tires and bike condition and
  • too much speed for the road conditions (or too much speed for our skill level)
  • and of course sometimes, distracted car drivers and other factors.
IIronically sometimes "not enough speed" will also get you in trouble :rolleyes: especially on dirt / off road riding.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Sorry about that conclusion but dang you work quick! Kudos. With those pieces off and cleaned up it doesn't look all too bad really.

Where the left slider attaches to what looks like a bracket, any stress to the frame where that's bolted on?

Also your crash write-up mentioned it being pole-vaulted into the ditch. Just out of curiosity how did it roll afterwards? Fork damage?
No stress on the frame, I don't think so. As you can see the bracket bent outwards and took all the force. No marks whatsoever on forks, tyres or wheels so I guess they didn't take a hit either.

When I came to a stop after sliding on the road, I looked forward and saw the bike still sliding, hit the curb, and do some kind of flippity flop and landed on its right side somehow. Riddle me this, the top of the luggage rack is scuffed, but not the side. Also, the top cover of the front brake fluid reservoir is scuffed also but nothing in the vicinity - the switchgear is intact. I have no scientific explanation how that possibbly could have happened, maybe the bike did spend a fraction of a second upside down when rolling over. It happened very quickly and was quite spectacular actually.

If any of you guys are interested, I could do a field report from the crash site, like show you what happened where and why.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts