FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, it's a '14 ES with about 18k miles, but she's still a lady with lots of life in her. Not many farkles (crash cages, sliders, factory touring windshield, pillion backrest), tires with less than 3k miles, clean title, stock seat. She went down at a standstill so the one side has major scratches on the side case, handle bar weight, and mirror. Both stock exhaust cans have dents near the bottom side from an object sliding into them during truck bed transit.
No cracked plastic, no other visible damage on engine, wheels or tank. Paint looks decent other than the scarred areas already mentioned.

Whether it's a redhead, or otherwise, I'm a bit particular about maintenance.
This girl lacks a single maintenance record or receipt. The switch recall hasn't been done either.

That said, pricing is currently at $7,800. My wallet and I had a discussion and we both feel that's a bit high, but not by much.
So, then my wallet said, "Hey, ask the forum folks what they think about this crazy scheme to add a bike you don't really need to the garage". I firmly scolded my wallet for being so judgemental but also thanked it for its wisdom to consult all of you so that I can rationalize my purchase and still respect myself in the morning.

So, I'm thinking $7k as-is.
What say you?

(crap, didn't want to post this in the "for sale" section)

·
Registered
2012 FJR Blue Beauty, 2014 FJR Redhead, +++
165 Posts
So you are thinking about buying this 2014? If so, three points to consider:
  • Can you get a hold on the bike while you get an oil sample analyzed to ensure the engine is solid and oil was recently changed? With low miles, the oil analysis should be for peace of mind, absent any maintenance records.
  • The strut inside the fairing on Gen 3 bikes is a low strength aluminum casting that is v. expensive to repair because of the labor hours. If the mirrors wiggle, the strut is most likely broken. Others on the forum may be able to suggest other diagnostics.
  • Red is the fastest color, but my Redhead might want to claim rights to the name. Or express her jealousy by throwing a tantrum during a long distance trip. ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hmm . . . . "Major scratches" from a standstill drop with crash bars installed? Why did it end up being loaded in a truck? And is the mirror lose and a little wobbly?

I guess that sounds cynical from someone on the internet so your first-hand thoughts about it should carry more weight. Depending on your gut, how much it'll take to fix it up and what you can do on your own it might be worth it.

Then again, aren't redheads supposed to have a rough side??

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,259 Posts
Can't say that I have ever asked for or received maintenance records on a bike, car or boat . But if that keeps you up at night, keep looking. Lots of fjr out there. I'd be more concerned about the drop and the scratches would drive me crazy. Check the mirror, check the handle bars.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,323 Posts
Replacing the mirror stay involves dismantling the front end...... part is $200-ish and is an all day job to replace. How much to repair scratched paint or buy new panels.... exhaust?
IMHO move on unless you get it real cheap.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Let's assume the fairing stay isn't broken (but be very sure) paint is going to be expensive unless you can ride it scratched up. Was it dropped before the crash bars went on? Hard to give an opinion with only internet description. I would think for $7800 you can find an unmolested one especially as we roll into fall. It is a seven year old Japanese motorcycle with dinged up bodywork and no service records. At 18K miles I wouldn't be too worried about maintenence records but would sure use it against you if I were the buyer. Bent up exhaust would have me looking underneath for more damage. You can pick up stock cans for nothing on here.

Offer $5000 and be prepared to walk away. Or you might be loading it up and bringing it home.

·
Registered
98 VFR800, 2013A
80 Posts
Just something to give you some context. I recently purchased a 2013A for about $7500 w/9500 mi on the clock. Front stay was broken but no other physical damage.

with the amount of damage you are describing, I wouldn't go more than $7500 on an ES model. I would more than likely pass on it all together. It took me a few months, some wasted time and had to buy out of state but eventually found what I was looking for.

·
Registered
278 Posts
That's not a red head but a black head 😂 very nice though.
With FJR exhausts at £1000 each and the other problems the bike sounds way over priced.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
That's not a red head but a black head 😂 very nice though.
With FJR exhausts at £1000 each and the other problems the bike sounds way over priced.
Heck guys here would part with those boat anchors for the price of shipping and a 6 pack of beer. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
9,323 Posts
Oh come now, my girl tells me blondes have more fun.............

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,259 Posts
Gentlemen prefer blondes, and so do I ;)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Sounds like the bike has had kind of a rough life. Unless you can steal it I’d walk. Certainly under $7k.

·
Registered
'18 GL1800 Goldwing, '98 Shadow VT1100T, '16 FJR 1300 (Sold)
161 Posts
I'd say don't do it.

Also, redheads can be way to Feisty and unpredictable for my taste!

·
Registered
98 VFR800, 2013A
80 Posts
I came sooo close to owning one of those back when. (Aberdeen, yes?)
Yes sir, Aberdeen. I wanted this bike when it was initially released. Kids, mortgage, etc. Now the kids are grown, mortgage is paid and I found one, 1 owner, low mileage so I snatched it up. I'm between Fuquay and Lillington.

·
Premium Member
9,323 Posts
Feisty as in a Ducati? Orange you glad you don't have a KTM?

Reactions: Sp00ks
1 - 20 of 23 Posts