FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
July 27th to August 4th

I will be going with a few guys who want to visit yosemite, Mono Lake, Reno NV and visit the WFO Western FJR owners conference where there will be lots of vendors, plus yamaha reps will be there with some surprises. Then off to Medford, Klamath Falls, Crater lake. Ride down from Coos Bay oregon, thru Crescent city and visit Jedediah Smith Redwoods. Down the Gold Coast, Fort Bragg, Point Reyes, San Francisco and Monterey. Then down to Morro Bay, Santa Barbara, Solvang and back to Orange County.

Final route details for July 27th departure date thru August 4th. Please download PDF for dates, maps and routes by clicking on the link:

PDF file with maps, routes and dates

Crater Lake Trip

Thursday July 27
LV: 12:00 Noon from South Orange County, Mission Motorsports
Route: 5 north to 99 north
AR: Visalia (210 miles) - Approx. 4:30 pm. BBQ, swimming, cold beer, relax.

Friday July 28
LV: Visalia 8:00 am
Route: 99 north to 41 east, to 120 east (ride through Yosemite) 135 miles. Connect with 395 north to Reno 211 miles
AR: Reno (346 miles) - Approx. 3:30 pm Spend the night and attend the WFO

Option 1: 395 north (as above), take 207 west to Lake Tahoe, south on 50, north/west on 89 (ride around lake). Take 28 to 431 into Reno. Adds approx. 45 miles of beautiful, but slow riding. Arrive Reno around 5:45 pm.

Option 2: 395 to NV-206 to 207 east thru south Lake Tahoe, around the SW end of the lake to 89. 89 to hwy 80 to Reno. About 94 miles

Saturday July 29
LV: Reno 12:00 pm after attending WFO FJR convention
Route: 395 north to the 44 north, to the 89 north, to the 5 north.
AR: Medford, Oregon (305 miles) - Arrive around 6:30 pm

Sunday July 30
LV: Medford 9:00 am
Route: Highway 66 to Klamath Falls (77 miles). Ride around Klamath falls to Crater lake on 62 with lots of stops.
AR: Medford (202 miles) - Arrive around 4:30 pm

Option: Rest day, bike maintenance, Rafting or Fishing, etc

Monday July 31
LV: Medford 9:00 am
Route: 5 North to 42 west, 101 south, with many stops
AR: Gold Beach (251 miles) around 4:30

Option 1:
For those who need to get back a day earlier, can take 199 from medford to crescent city down hwy 101.

Tuesday August 1
LV: Gold Beach 8:00 am
Route: Hwy 101 south to Fort Bragg (slow ride, very scenic)
AR: Fort Bragg (271 miles) around 5:00

Wednesday August 2
LV: Fort Bragg 9:00 am
Route: 101 south to 92 west, to hwy 1 south
AR: San Francisco Bay Area in San Bruno (172 miles) around 4:00 pm.

Thursday August 3
LV: San Bruno 8:00 am
Route: 1 south to 101 south to Big Sur then Morro Bay
AR: Morro Bay (219 miles ) around 2:00 pm

Friday August 4
LV: Morro Bay 8:00 am
Route: 101 south to Orange County
AR: South Orange County (243 miles ) around 2:00 pm
(or a variety of other freeways depending on traffic).

OPTION: Plan a lunch stop in Santa Barbara (about 104 miles from Morro Bay, arrive about 10pm ).

Total Mileage: 1925 to 2250 depending on options.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Name: Bike:
zzkenoman FJR

Steve ZX6R

Coorslightsilverbullet40 FJR

Steve ZX-10R

Rob FZ1

DocDanDC FJR

Possibles:

TurboDave FJR

Lanny FJR

Joel FJR

Rod GW

John Royal Star

Note: If you think you would like to go for the whole or part of the trip, let me know so I can pencil you in. Also, If you would be willing to share a room during the trip and split costs, let me know. There are a few guys who would like to offer that during the ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are nice places to stay, I made my reservations:

For Visalia July 27th
Friends Home

For Reno July 28th
http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/...DO2AGI2XL0CSGBIVMVCQKIYFC3UUC?ctyhocn=RNORHHH

For Medford July 29th-31st
http://www.windmillinns.com/ie30nscp/med/med.htm

July 31 Gold Beach, Oregon
http://www.goldbeachinn.com/ContactUs.htm

August 1 Fort Bragg, California
http://www.harborlitelodge.com/h-contact.htm

August 2nd
SF BayArea parents home

August 3rd Morro Bay
http://www.laserenainn.com/home2.htm

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you live in or near the cities we are staying over night. Why don't you leave a message at our hotels (we will make a note at the desk of my screen name so its easier) and meet for a night out or share a drink? Maybe some favorite entertainment, or some sugar for our weary eyes? Let us know, or email or PM me with your suggestion, contact info and places to hookup. I'm sure there must be some fun or evil stuff to do in your town B)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
July is around the corner so I'm checking to see if I should add anyone else to the list?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was asked what to expect in expenses for this trip

I figure accommodations will run about $690 if you are able to get the discounted rates with AAA and the WFO discount room rate. Fuel about $160, and meals, will total for the total trip approx under $1,100. Not including local taxes, entertainment, extra credit curriculum or stealing the liqueurs condiments in the room. Hotel are listed for prices and are the location where some of us will be staying. Some can find cheaper hotels, or may want to stay with relatives or tent it, thats really up to the rider. We will all depart from the hotels listed.

As for the committed, I've got a list of about 10 riders, 4 committed and the rest re-arranging thier vacations and sick days. I have one meeting us in reno to continue with us, and other who want to join us at other parts of the route.

Ill ask for the final count and commitment this weekend of July. But if your staying at a hotel, make reservations now. Let me know if you need help in any area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JULY IS HERE!!!!!
Need to make final rollcall for this ride to reno on the 27th, leaving from Mission Motorsports. I think there are some that may just want to go to the BBQ, some that want to go to Reno Only, some will be joining in Reno for the continued trip. Either way, please confirm you are going either here or email me. Make sure your accomodations are made, both in Reno and any part of the ride. If you need help in any area, or would like to be added on the list, or going part way, please let me know.

Here are the riders.

ZZkenoman 05 FJR

Steve ZX6R

Coorslightsilverbullet40 FJR

Steve ZX-10R

Rob FZ1

DocDanDC FJR- to Reno Only

Santa Fe Dreaming 06 FJR

Clovis43 FJR

Pawtracks 05 FJR to Reno Only

Possibles:

TurboDave 06 FJR

Joemoto 06 FJR

GunMD 05 FJR to Reno Only

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the responses, and reminding those who haven't made reservations please do so. I think its going to be a great & safe ride. If anyone still is working out there plans, let me know. Otherwise I'll see everyone at the staging area at Mission Motorsports in Irvine on the 27th at noon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Attention: All those who are going on this ride. There will be a change of departure time from Orange County and considering moving it earlier one day. Please give me a call or email me asap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We are leaving on Wed July 26th from the Chevron Station in Laguna Hills, at Hwy 5 & Oso Parkway exit. Departure is 4:30pm, rather than leaving thursday at noon in the hot sun. If you are still interested in this ride to Reno, Part, or the entire trip, email me asap. If you just want to wish us well, visit us before we depart and say hello.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts