FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are now reports of severe damage to smartphones mounted on motorcycles presumably due to vibrations, -Harleys...?-
Has anybody experienced such a problem on an FJR?
I've been travelling with my iphone mounted on a RAM mount (screwed on the orifice available next to the clutch Master Cylinder) on Mexican highways -not the smoothest- for several years without incident.
Has anyone experienced such a problem here?
Cheers,
Daniel

·
Registered
65 Posts
I’ve never have had any issues. I think it may be the newer phones that might be having problems? I have a iPhoneX, about 3 years old, on a Ram mount, typical you see everywhere. No problems to date.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the Quadlock holder for my phone and bought their vibration damper. Never had an issue before using it but it seemed like cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
It's been a well known issue for years, lots of reports on phone camera lens stabilization failing, due to motorcycle vibrations.
I used x-grip for a couple months, and dropped my new smartphone...ever since it's in my top pocket, well protected.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Use a RAM…no issues. If you’ll notice…the X Grips are all rubberized, so you have built in shock absorbers. I’ve seen Harleys on the other hand that rattle factory bolts loose in less than 5k miles…so they’ll probably mess just about everything up…including your internal organs😆

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3,213 Posts
Just to the camera. Happens with any phone with mechanical focus. Yes, on an fjr. Easy fix- buzzkill by hondo garage.
There are now reports of severe damage to smartphones mounted on motorcycles presumably due to vibrations, -Harleys...?-
Has anybody experienced such a problem on an FJR?
I've been travelling with my iphone mounted on a RAM mount (screwed on the orifice available next to the clutch Master Cylinder) on Mexican highways -not the smoothest- for several years without incident.
Has anyone experienced such a problem here?
Cheers,
Daniel

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've got an iphone 8 and hand it on the bars on each bike. No damage so far. What I've read about on the forums, Advrider particularly, is that most of the damage is to the image-stabilizer camera phones ridden off-road.

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3,213 Posts
No off-roading is necessary. Happens to advanced camera phones across a range of bikes. Paul Pelland sounded the alarm way back.
I've got an iphone 8 and hand it on the bars on each bike. No damage so far. What I've read about on the forums, Advrider particularly, is that most of the damage is to the image-stabilizer camera phones ridden off-road.
off

·
Registered
160 Posts
Rode probably 70k miles with my phone in a slipgrip holder. Have a narrow strip of foam (like a window strip or something) that keeps the phone tighter in it but no problems ever.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
483 Posts
MCrider posted this:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts