FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 FJR 1300ES
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have small oil leak under the cover. But I have no idea what it that part called and what it covers. Need help from experts.

That is 2020 FJR, right side of the engine.

I'm thinking that I will need to to replace the gasket at least and maybe the cover, so need to figure out part numbers.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Rim

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Maybe they can still fix it under warranty, talk to your dealer, it's definately a manufacturing flaw since the bike is new

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,057 Posts
Chances are that they took that cover off while doing the 2nd gear recall.
Although for the price of an o-ring and not wasting a ton of time with a dealer I would just do it myself as long as you can get that bolt out that looks like it is behind the waterpump.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Never known that to leak, but if it has had a recall a completly different ball game.

·
Registered
2020 FJR 1300ES
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot. I was looking at those diagrams but never noticed that cover. I got the bike recently and if I run VIN through yamaha recall web site, it says that the recall was done. So it could be very possible that the leak formed is after doing the recall.

Anyways I will order the o-ring seal and the cover just in case it was damaged. I think this should be fairly easy thing to do, I need to start practicing doing small maintenance on the bike.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,057 Posts
Thanks a lot. I was looking at those diagrams but never noticed that cover. I got the bike recently and if I run VIN through yamaha recall web site, it says that the recall was done. So it could be very possible that the leak formed is after doing the recall.

Anyways I will order the o-ring seal and the cover just in case it was damaged. I think this should be fairly easy thing to do, I need to start practicing doing small maintenance on the bike.
I don't know that I would order a new bearing housing (cover) unless you are sure you can return it without spending a ton on shipping. Most likely the o-ring just got nicked on install. The main thing is - looking at the bike do you think you can get that bolt on the right side out? (Without pulling the coolant pump)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Take it to the dealer
Take it to the dealer
Take it to the dealer ;)

·
Registered
2020 FJR 1300ES
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know that I would order a new bearing housing (cover) unless you are sure you can return it without spending a ton on shipping. Most likely the o-ring just got nicked on install. The main thing is - looking at the bike do you think you can get that bolt on the right side out? (Without pulling the coolant pump)
No, it is not possible without removing the pump. But it does not have to be completely removed, if I can move it by half of the inch, I will be able to use angle extension for socket and remove the bolt

Reactions: Oldjeep

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have no idea where I've read this but I recall someone having a similar leak after the recall and it turned out to be coming from somewhere deeper, only showing where yours is. I hope I'm misremembering and wish you luck.

·
Registered
2020 FJR 1300ES
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have no idea where I've read this but I recall someone having a similar leak after the recall and it turned out to be coming from somewhere deeper, only showing where yours is. I hope I'm misremembering and wish you luck.
Hm-m-m, that is concerning. I hope it is not coming from engine block itself.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I have to be brave
I can do it
I can do it 🙂
I wouldn't do it Alex, dealer is responsible for this,... but its your choice, report back what was the issue, hope you don't open a can off worms ;)

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,165 Posts
Try to find the source of the leak..... it may not be there. It may be some residual oil..... wipe it off and see if it comes back?
That part is a bearing housing, I imagine you'll have to pull the water pump to get it off......
Take it to the dealer.... leak could be something else.....

·
Registered
2020 FJR 1300ES
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Try to find the source of the leak..... it may not be there.
I did that. Wiped and cleaned everything around that area. Under the engine and everywhere I could reach.
The next day I see oil on the lower bolt, between engine block and the cover. Nowhere else.

Obviously it can come from any place around that cover. But the leak is fairly small at this moment, like 1 drop in 2-3 days. It is at the annoying stage, since it drips on the exhaust pipe and when I take bike after few days sitting, it really smells burning oil.

Anyways ordered seal and a cover from partzilla, but cover was not in stock, ETA is end of September.
Will also try dealer, not sure what is faster.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,057 Posts
Partzilla, your local dealer, any online dealers. Unless they have it in stock, the parts all ship from the same place in California.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,165 Posts
I wouldn't think you need a new cover, just the o-ring.....

Reactions: Oldjeep
1 - 18 of 18 Posts