FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a week off for an aimless ride a few weeks ago. Made it to the Cherahola Skyway and southern end of the Blue Ridge parkway. I even took a wrong turn and ended up on the Dragon for a quick over and back. It was a bit overcast and I really didn't spot any good photo material.

Came across something interesting on the way back. Skyline drive gets pretty quiet during the week down towards the southern end.

Plant Road surface Asphalt Tar Groundcover

Road surface Insect Asphalt Water Grey

i figured he was roadkill until I noticed he popped his head up as I drove by a few inches from him. I stopped for a few pics, my first on a 1500 mile trip.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,819 Posts
Yeah, roads like the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive are pretty quiet during the week. This time of year tho with the changing leaf colors they'll get mighty crowed on weekends. It was horrible last year when so many folks weren't working and they spent more time outdoors. Sounds like you had a nice trip, no rushing, no appts. Good on you!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Gathering some warmth on the asphalt. Picture is kinda blurry but looks to be a Timbler Rattler.

I had a big one strike at me while riding the BRP many years ago.

·
Registered
98 VFR800, 2013A
80 Posts
We were up there last week, rode from the VA line to Asheville twice. Great weather, little traffic, it was perfect. Met some really nice folks (fellow riders. Didn't meet any copperhead thank goodness.

·
Registered
595 Posts
We were up there last week, rode from the VA line to Asheville twice. Great weather, little traffic, it was perfect. Met some really nice folks (fellow riders. Didn't meet any copperhead thank goodness.
Spend the night in The Little Switzerland Inn some time…it’s insane.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
That's cool! Yeah, that's a great road... especially on a week day.

I'm pretty picky about the days I ride the Smokies... never on weekends if I can help it... way too much traffic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live one mile from the Blue Ridge Parkway and this time of year is when you see a lot of snakes on the pavement due to the temperature changing. I actually dread the copperheads more than the fully venomous rattlesnakes due to their aggressive nature and sheer numbers.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Did 1/2 of that road in a hurricane and the other 1/2 crystal clear....great road! So far though, nothing compares to NC on the Blue Ridge in the Mount Mitchell and surrounding areas for me....but thats probably' because I've never ridden in Montana or Wyoming:D

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,323 Posts
For me, the better riding roads are not on the BRP itself but up down, parallel to it.... tons of good roads. I could spend a couple of weeks there easily.
As for out west, it's big sky country, more open, longer distances and got the Rocky mountains. You can spend a couple of weeks there and no way to see it all, need a return trip. It's different, but there's some great riding in MT, WA, OR, ID, WY..... toss in the Black Hills of SD. Cross up into BC and you will not be disappointed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts