FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being away for 2 weeks, my ride to work this morning was a pleasure as usual, with a noticeable difference, although I've done the +7 injection mod which improved things no end, with the lovely fresh air at 6.30 am today areas in the range i know to be a little vibey were as smooth as silk ?, I know the air is richer when its a nice cool morning but would the guys in the know suggest this is a sign I might be able to creep up the +7 slowly, or is it a sign that with the euro 3 regs built into the ecu, that this level of smoothness will only be achieved with power commanders or the like.??? I am aware that some guys on this site are VERY knowledgeable on the fuel injection side of things and would really appreciate their thoughts, as i'm sure other 06 owners will.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Hi Waldy,
I would think the bike is just loosening up a bit, I would give it time to settle down have a service then look towards fiddling. The air in the AM is Dence & Cool (like a few people on this site :lol: )which will produce a better bang.
Or it could be just you looking for differences the mind can play tricks! give it a while and then see.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The air in the AM is Dence & Cool (like a few people on this site :lol: )which will produce a better bang.

Better Bang? I believe you achieve a more efficient burn due to the air being able to carry more fuel particles for combustion....therefore you require less air/fuel particles to achieve the same amount of work/kinetic energy (more efficient) :D .

I've also done the +7 and then an additional+1 mod to my '06 and find the same smoothness as mentioned here earlier. I also feel that riding on cool foggy mornings is the time the bike runs at it's best. As said...Cool dence air!!

My question is however :? Why are the O 2 settings so different on all cylinders? and why is No1 in the negative? My settings are all over the shop? What would happen if I make them all the same? will I run way too rich? Why is it so???? :? I'm too chicken to try :roll: maybe I need to go for a test ride on another bike :twisted:

mOOse :ale:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My point was that if the bike can run this smooth on these type of cool mornings, with modern FI and ecu's with sensors everywhere, how can we best achieve this running all the time, as we now know the bike IS capable if being very smooth indeed ???????

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Moose,
As I understand it from the dim and distant past when the CO settings were first fiddled with, the reason each cylinder has a different number is to compensate for the manufacturing tolerances in the individual injectors, plus other factors that affect one cylinder and not the others. So by the law of averages you would expect the numbers to be different and it would be a bad idea to set them all the same.
The 01 and 02s were equipped with threaded sniffer ports on the headers to allow connection of an EGA to permit the accurate setting of this fudge factor during manufacture, not sure how they do it now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Many years ago I ran a chain of auto accesory stores (not important but interesting background to what I am about to say). We used to sell Water Injection kits by the bucketload. The kit was suppoesed to provide smoother acceleration and improved fuel economy. Early morning running when the air is dense is the same principle that these kits were deigned to replicate.

Mind you the "kit" was pretty archaic when I reflect back on it. It comprised a Bottle with a built in 12 volt pump (like a windscreen washer bottle), some rubber tube, and am assortment of brackets and fittings that allowed a switch to be activated by the throttle assembly to turn on the pump when the throttle moved off its idle setting. The pump would then deliver water to a brass nozzle that had to be fitted to the centre of the air filter housing directly over the mouth of the carby so that it would deliver a fine mist into the mouth of the carb.

People swore they made a huge difference. Me... I was never convinced.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
moose said:
Better Bang? I believe you achieve a more efficient burn
mOOse :ale:
That's right I ment a better burn, but due to more air in the combustion chamber not by more fuel though.

Dont level off the CO values as it does not work that way, you have to use a CO sniffer to set the injectors independantly.

@Silverado,

Water injection works well on turbocharged engines, an intercooler may work on the Fjr but not really worth the out lay for the gains.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts