FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 5 feet seven inches. I have ordered a '06. Will I be able to put both feet flat on the ground when stopped? Is the bike as good as it sounds?

·
Registered
14 Posts
petercwelch said:
I am 5 feet seven inches. I have ordered a '06. Will I be able to put both feet flat on the ground when stopped? Is the bike as good as it sounds?
Cool, welcome; depends; yes.

It's not how far from the top of your head to the ground that's important- it's how long your legs are. If you can't flatfoot it, and you absolutely must, get the seat cut down a little.

·
Registered
425 Posts
great..if you park on a speed bump ...yes

·
Registered
163 Posts
The '06 has a lower seat height v. the previous years. Go to a show and sit on it is about all I can suggest...

·
Registered
38 Posts
seat ht.

With 20mm of 2 postion seat ht. adjustment it may help you. I'm hoping that the stock seat is not as flaccid as most o.e. bike saddles are....or more $$$ for Corbin, again. I wonder if Yamaha will be marketing an optional Corbin built saddle for the '06? Put one on the '03 I had, along with bar risers, and it was a very comfortable supportive improvement over stock. However, at 6'2" reaching the ground isn't much of a problem for me! Theres always the new Sportster 1200LOW..if ya wanna be slow!

Actually I have a modified '04 1200R and overall it is my favorite bike out of the 75 I've owned...over a few years...... Not an FJR for performance, handling or comfort but surprisingly capable dynamically for a hardleeablesinn. DFO :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
petercwelch said:
What really matters is your inseam,I have a 29" inseam and have no trouble with my '05 FJR.

The '06 has an adjustable seat which can go an inch lower so you should have no problem.

Good Luck! Ed :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry about the above post but some on the board have an 'odd' sense of humour.

I'm 5'10" with about a 29" inseam.

I fitted some dogbones to lower the suspension slightly and 10-15mm lower makes all the difference. This is on a 2002 model, so with a bit of luck the extra adjustment in the new model's seat will have the same effect.

I'd go with the other views that it really inspires more confidence if you can get both feet flat on the floor. Especially when slowly paddling around car-parks or with foot-down u-turns.

Hope this helps and welcome.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I sat on the 06 last month with the seat in both positions, and I could not flat foot the bike, and I can't flat foot my 04 either. You'll get used to it, just watch where you park and all is good. I have a 30" inseam.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Inseam challanged.

It will depend on your inseam length.
I doubt you will sit on the bike and be flat footed.
Im 5'7" and have a 30' inseam.
I addeded an 1 1/2 sole to my favorite boots. $40.00.
This works fine. I can sit with the bike unloaded ( around town). Flat footed.
This also works when the bike is fully loaded.
I did this instead of spending $100's on a seat or shock for $1000's, and possiably ruining the great handling and ground clearance, of a outstanding. Sport-touring bike.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am 5'8.5", with a 30.5 inseam. At 220 lb, I compress the suspension enough that I can just about flatfoot the bike. I never have had any problems handling the FJR at a stop.

My 34" KLR 650 is another story. Once I got used to tip toeing it, it hasn't been a problem.

Ron

·
Registered
234 Posts
Side and Centerstand blues

Dont forget, if you do try to lower the FJR, by links or suspension, you will have to cut and re-weld both the centerstand, and side stands.
The geometry change is such, on the side stand the bike sits 'Up', and doesnt lean enough. A stiff breeze, or curious kid, can tip it over.
The centerstand, will be a bear to deploy as the fulcrum of the pivot point will be altered.
It most likely will take a couple of people to lift onto the centerstand.

·
Registered
30 Posts
:twisted: ......[/quote] i als0o ordered the 06 fjra model and at 5;7 worried about the hieght coming off a warrior,hope this handles better..

·
Registered
737 Posts
Re: Inseam challanged.

james1300 said:
It will depend on your inseam length.
I doubt you will sit on the bike and be flat footed.
Im 5'7" and have a 30' inseam.
I addeded an 1 1/2 sole to my favorite boots. $40.00.
This works fine. I can sit with the bike unloaded ( around town). Flat footed.
This also works when the bike is fully loaded.
I did this instead of spending $100's on a seat or shock for $1000's, and possiably ruining the great handling and ground clearance, of a outstanding. Sport-touring bike.
Adding an 1 1/2 ( inch and one half ???) sole to your boots, what if anything did you have to change to be able get your boot between the peg and shift lever?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Shifter location.

Good Question!
Ez fix!
Theres two ways you can go.
1. Raise the shifter on the shift shaft a couple of notches.
( info on this is found on FJRTech.com, under 'Lubing pivot points')
This is what I did.

2. Theres is some play(adjustment) in the shift linkage shaft (the rod with the two
adjustable joints on it) between the shifter and the transmission shift shaft.
You may be able to get enough adjustment there, depending on how much sole you add to your boots.

If I can help you, heres my phone number (509) 547-5290 pst, Im a Firefighter. If you get the machine, leave me a message and time to call you back.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts