FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm a new owner of a 2008 FJR... I'm interested in drifting the bike a bit more towards SPORT..
I have a set of new springs for the front to put in (maybe tomorrow)...
But what about the rear?
Any of you guys have experience/knowledge about good shock improvements?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I'd suggest you get a "LIGHTER Sport / racing" bike if you are planning to ride with R6's, CBR's and Geexers...FJR is really a pig and not very flickable...yes it has some sportiness in it and can be ridder spirited,... but honestly it's a great Touring 2up bike

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I vastly understand that the FJR is not an R1.

I'm an old dealership tech, (three shops). I've had 27 motorcycles. I recently bought this Feejer for use on the big US highways, and I certainly don't expect it to be have the "Sporting" capabilities of my other two bikes- a Track-modded GSF1200 Bandit and an equivalent SV1000S. Those bikes will give me any Sport requirements that I want.

I bought the FJR specifically for touring; the Bandit has been around the nation for many years with great awards for it's huge service....but getting Long in the Tooth, so I needed a better Open Road bike. I want it to handle as best as possible for the engineering they gave itm which usually means suspension improvements. After years of Track time and setting-up customer's bikes, I can see the need immediately with this bike.

But yeah.. the bike's function will be 80% Highway. I just want it to be Premium to it's engineered capabilities.

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
431 Posts
Yes, I vastly understand that the FJR is not an R1.

I'm an old dealership tech, (three shops). I've had 27 motorcycles. I recently bought this Feejer for use on the big US highways, and I certainly don't expect it to be have the "Sporting" capabilities of my other two bikes- a Track-modded GSF1200 Bandit and an equivalent SV1000S. Those bikes will give me any Sport requirements that I want.

I bought the FJR specifically for touring; the Bandit has been around the nation for many years with great awards for it's huge service....but getting Long in the Tooth, so I needed a better Open Road bike. I want it to handle as best as possible for the engineering they gave itm which usually means suspension improvements. After years of Track time and setting-up customer's bikes, I can see the need immediately with this bike.

But yeah.. the bike's function will be 80% Highway. I just want it to be Premium to it's engineered capabilities.
Can't really speak from personal experience since I haven't modded my shock as yet but others have commented that the less expensive way to go would be a gen 3 shock reported to have a better spring rate. If the cost isn't a factor many have gone with ohlins or penske after market. ;)

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,704 Posts
If you're doing the sporting thing, I'd recommend an aftermarket shock with remote adjustable preload and both compression and rebound damping adjustments...... good move to upgrade those fork springs.

Reactions: bounce

·
Registered
2008 Fjr1300, 2012 CBF1000
114 Posts
Hey guys I'm a new owner of a 2008 FJR... I'm interested in drifting the bike a bit more towards SPORT..
I have a set of new springs for the front to put in (maybe tomorrow)...
But what about the rear?
Any of you guys have experience/knowledge about good shock improvements?

View attachment 80226
I have the same bike as you. Racetech springs in the front and Ohlins with remote preload and compression adjusters. It's expensive but the improvement is night and day over stock.

·
Super Moderator
3,883 Posts
Better suspension to put the existing power to the ground better is always my first go-to before chasing power improvements (tune, in/out take/etc).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, suspension turns out to be the Holy Grail. More "payoff" there than with engine mods.
I went to a Penske 8975 on my SV1000S... a great move but it took time to get it dialed-in, (don't lie about your weight when ordering a spring!).

My Bandit has a Hyperpro unit which completely transformed the bike.

I'm really tempted to BURN the CASH and just get a Hyperpro for the FJR and be done with it... the unit for the FJR runs about $600. Preload a Rebound damping but no Compression damping.

·
Premium Member
8,704 Posts
As someone posted a couple of days ago.... Hyperpro will not tell you what their spring rates are, so they're out. Does Wilbers use progressive springs too from Hyperpro?
Most of these aftermarket shocks have very similar seals, etc. (shafts are 5/8") and parts are readily available for rebuilds. Penske has ride height adjusters as a feature....

·
Registered
223 Posts
I like to ride the canyons more than any highway. I don't like my tire getting flat spots. I had the forks rebuilt but just stock. Had to turn them all the way in for my weight. The rear is still OE as I never did anything with it but make it as stiff as I could. I have always wanted to work out the suspension myself. I am on a 04. I have been told that I'm leaning within an inch of grinding the cases. I try to keep up with many of these guys around here. Like I said I can't stand the highway as I can't stay in my lane and everyone is going slower than I am. I have been told ohlins and race tech are the way to go but penski should never be overlooked. good luck can't wait to here what works for you guys at 280lbs without the wife and kitchen sink.

·
Premium Member
8,704 Posts
Pick a brand, they all do the same thing. Ohlins/RaceTech/Penske have straight rate springs and you know what you have, pick the particular model that has the damping adjustments you want. If riding 2-up you want to be able to dial in preload, so you should get a remote preload adjuster (which more than likely gives you compression damping adjustment).
RaceTech tends to recommend springs that are too hard, so I tend to look at Penske's chart. Even then, I'd call that max.... 850 lb. spring works for a ~200 lb. For 280... Penske says 950 lb. for 260 lb. rider, I'd say go with that on an FJR. However, chat with Cogent Dynamics in Henderson NC, they sell multi-brands plus their own. Owner is a former Ohlins engineer, and they will perhaps give you a better recommendation than me.

Any aftermarket shock with something close will transform the bike.... the Hyperpro progressive will do that too, but there is going to be an upper limit for heavier riders, and they won't tell you the rate.

For reference, a Gen3 shock on HARD setting is 976 lb. spring. Test ride a Gen3 and get a feel for that.

Some other tidbits.......

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've become a buh-liever in the Power of Suspension Upgrade. The bikes I've altered have radically improved. The cost of a shock is high.. but if you get it all dialed-in the reward is also high.

I bought a Penske 8975 some years back for my SV1000S, used... I sent it to Penske for a rebuild, and had them put on a spring to match my weight. When I got it back it was STIFF as all bejeesus.. I ended-up sending the shock back for a lighter spring, and it's STILL adjusted at the top of the rebound (lightest). And no.. this one doesn't have ride-height adjustability as far as I know... BUT- a helluva a lot better than Stock... and of course, correct fork springs made a huge difference.

Hyperpro- I ordered one from the New Jersey headquarters, oh, most of ten years ago. It has been GREAT, now has about 90K Sport Touring miles on it. I send it down to have it rebuilt every other year.. $125. I told the guy what my weight and riding style was,,, and he must have chose correctly because that Bandit sticks to the ground like glue.. and even does very well on Trackdays. Racetech springs and a Gold Valve kit up front. Can't say enough.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I’ve had my 05 set up by Traxxion and was very happy with it. Little shorter wheelbase on the 05 too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts