FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 FJR1300 & 2001 Tiger 955i
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve no time to ride so sorting a lot of maintenance on the FJR before collecting her.
I was chatting with the lad I normally get wheel bearings off and he said if I can give him a bearing I.D. Number he can supply me better quality longer lasting equivalents.
has anyone actually found the bearing number as opposed to the Yamaha Part number as I’m not having much luck searching the forum and net 🤔

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've found that once cleaned and lubed early in the bike's life, no further maintenance is necessary. IMHO you may be overthinking this.
Without a doubt I am 🤣, but I’ve to replace one as it’s a bit sloppy so I’ll see what else can be done while in there anyway.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Without a doubt I am 🤣, but I’ve to replace one as it’s a bit sloppy so I’ll see what else can be done while in there anyway.
Tadhg1300,

Snowflake on another FJR forum will install ZERK fittings in the Relay Arm, and incidentally replace any parts necessary, for a fair price (depending on what may be needed). Check out the entire thread; his work is excellent. You can send him your Relay Arm, or obtain a used Relay Arm, or he may have one waiting for you. His next customer may need your old part.

You should not need to log in there, to see the pix.

Relay Arm with ZERKs

Reactions: Tadhg1300

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,706 Posts
I'm with Russ, lube that thing up early as Yamaha didn't overly grease it..... once greased, it should keep moisture out, preventing the corrosion that causes the failures in the first place. Not a lot of stress on those bearings, no need to go seeking other bearings... likely unobtainium anyway. Just keep the water out and they'll be good!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I t’s official. They’re all toast. Rust was only thing stopping all of them slopping lmao. Just ordered the standard set and will have them packed with 20 years worth of grease 🤣

·
Registered
201 Posts
It does not matter how much grease you put in as when the sleeves go back in they push most of it out.
If the bike never gets wet the bearing on the bottom of the shock will be fine, but if you ride through the winter in an area where the roads have to be covered in muck to stop them freezing the bearing will suffer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does not matter how much grease you put in as when the sleeves go back in they push most of it out.
If the bike never gets wet the bearing on the bottom of the shock will be fine, but if you ride through the winter in an area where the roads have to be covered in muck to stop them freezing the bearing will suffer.
Definitely don’t need to worry about overly salty roads here. Only a handful of days a year do we need it 🥳

1 - 8 of 8 Posts