FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum because I just purchased my first FJR last weekend. It is a 2014 FJR1300ES (6,040 miles, in really good shape) that I purchased from a friend. He was out of town when I went to pick it up, and the battery was dead (he had the new one sitting there in the box, so I installed it). When I started it up to ride it home, there was a light on the dash, which ended up being the shock light with exclamation point after I got home. I researched it on this great forum, but after hours of searching and reading, I was left wondering if there is newer information on this issue, like a recall or something, since it seems crazy that something could happen after simply changing out a battery.

I was able to get it into DIAG mode by doing the 8 second hold thing, then the 2 second hold, etc., and here are my codes:
09 11.8 (fairly normal)
84 00 (more on that down below)
62 03 (number of codes thrown I guess?)
61 44 and 89 (alternates back and forth between these two numbers)

In one of the threads (sorry if this is not the correct way to refer to someone else's thread!)t 2015 scu error 44 and 95. Help? | FJR Owners Forum , I read to get on the 84 code, and hold down the two buttons, which I did. Then, the 84 went from "00" to "F0", which is bad according to what I'm reading.

Before I tear the shock absorber apart to Manually reset the preload adjustment position, is there anything else I should do first? I've tried to search the forum (and Google) to locate the SCU unit since some folks have suggested to clean those connections, but I've had no luck.

I would greatly appreciate any information that anyone has on this. This is a great bike, but this issue is driving me crazy so far!

Thanks,
Brian
2014 Yamaha FJR1300ES

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,281 Posts
Code 44 was no communication due to dead battery...... Code 89 likely due to the same thing.... so, did you simply try to clear only those and see what happened?

84 was already 00, meaning it was reporting as OK...... perhaps you should not have attempted a reset??? The only suggestion I have (to avoid teardown of the shock), is to run 84 again and hope it resets to 00 and the suspension light goes out.

Reactions: TooManyBikes

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. I failed to mention that I did follow some other advice and clear the codes on code 61 by doing the 2 second both button press on code 62. I hope I didn't mess something up there! Every time I go into diagnostics, the 84 code is 00 until I try to reset it and then it goes to F0. When I go back into regular mode, the error remains there with the shock icon, etc.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,281 Posts
Asking only because I don't know myself...... If you erase the codes in 62, and exit (ignition off) without touching 84, then ignition on, what do you see on the display?
Can you then adjust the preload to single rider no luggage, or make any preload adjustment?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At this point, 62 says 01 and 61 says 00 every time I come back into the diagnostic. It is only when I try to reset code 84 that it goes back to F0. Then it still has the same values in 61 and 62

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems to run fine. I don't notice anything really, but this is my first FJR, so I don't have much to compare it to as far as the suspension.
I'm curious, did your situation start with a dead battery also?

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,281 Posts
61 has no codes, so good. 62 has one code when it displays 01, so what is it (let it cycle to tell you)? Clear that and exit diagnostics without attempting to reset 84, which is displaying 00 (meaning it thinks it's fine).
So what you got after you do just that and exit (ignition off), then turn on ignition again...... suspension light gone? Can you adjust the preload setting for your shock?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the idea, I'll try it when I get off work this afternoon. To make sure I understand what you're saying, when I scroll down to 62 (and it shows "01" currently), do I pause on 62 and it will show a code? Maybe I've never paused on 62 without just clearing it since I didn't realize that?
Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,281 Posts
Yes, the code will appear if you wait....... you did that previously when there were 3 codes....... would be good to know what that code is, then clear it and exit..... if it comes back we'll know it's more of an 'active' issue.
Note, most times an 'Active' code (as opposed to a stored history code) will display in the middle of the LCD screen without going into DiAG..... that would be good to know also next time you switch on the ignition.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I could not clear it, so it must be active? The active code in the right-hand LCD screen is constantly "95". I THOUGHT that I put that in my original post, but I did NOT!!! Sorry about that error. It's odd that the "95" does not show up under diag 61 to me though, and it never did. I have attached an image of the error.
Vehicle Land vehicle Speedometer Odometer Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,281 Posts
Ok then....... the 95 is the error code telling you to adjust the preload DC motor....... 84 is the "procedure". So, with all that you've tried, I'm afraid you'll have to dig into the rear shock and manually reset it first......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you very much for all of your advice! I'll probably have to take it to the shop for that. If I buy the repair manual, is this something that the "average but not above average" guy can do himself? I've read things about being VERY careful that the shock doesn't expand suddenly or something like that!

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,281 Posts
Although I've never done it, you may be able to remove/adjust the DC motor without complete shock removal.... however, it's likely a bigger job and will cost you some labour hours..... service manual indicates rear fender removal may be required.

Can you adjust the preload with the error code in place or are you frozen out of that? If you can, try adjusting it full up (two up with luggage) and back to one up no luggage...... just saying play with it and hope it may reset the home position.

This whole thing seemingly was triggered by a dead battery/no communication with the SCU.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, with this error, there is no access to the menu where you can change from 1-up, 2-up etc. It actually bypasses the entire menu. I think it's time to buy the service manual and take it apart! I've read where it costs A LOT to take it to the shop for this.

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
873 Posts
No, with this error, there is no access to the menu where you can change from 1-up, 2-up etc. It actually bypasses the entire menu. I think it's time to buy the service manual and take it apart! I've read where it costs A LOT to take it to the shop for this.
If the bike runs and rides why not just say "fuck the errors". Where's the harm?

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,281 Posts
One would not know where the suspension is set without access to the menu..... yes you can ride it, but is the suspension set OK for what you need?

The big question is do you need to remove the entire shock to remove the DC motor for the preload.... one would only know by trying to access it without removal.

The Yamaha manual describes removing the rear fender and taking it out the top, and that is a lot of work. I do know a person who went through all the steps of removal but found the rear fender should come off.... the appendages on the shock will not allow it to go down through the swingarm. It is likely easier to remove the entire swingarm and take it out the bottom.... posting a video that essentially shows the DC motor location. Note there are two motors, the other one is at the rear of the shock and is the stepper motor for the damping (no need to remove).

So, can one undo the shock mounts and get it to a point where you can remove the DC motor without removing the entire shock.... you'll only know when you get there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks again, this is helpful (although someone daunting)! From your description of the information in the Yamana manual, it sounds like there are no "step by step" instructions to adjust the preload DC motor. If anyone has done this, I'd sure love to hear from them!

Since this is my first FJR, I can't really tell if it's too stiff or too soft. I have another friend that has a similar FJR that I might ask to ride it and give me some feedback, but it doesn't have the electronic suspension. I'd like to get it fixed for when I get the wife on the back of it since I assume that would need a different setting, but it MAY work this way.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,281 Posts
With a passenger, you will definitely want to increase the preload..... the ES is already a tad undersprung for anyone approaching 200 lbs. Basically, you need it working.

Once you have the DC motor removed, you reset the home position by turning the shaft..... reassemble and run diagnostic 84.

Font Parallel Slope Line art Pattern

1 - 20 of 23 Posts