FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently wore out my first set of Shinko 009 Raven tires and can report that I really liked them. I got 16,200km out of the front and 9,500km out of the rear. Comparing this to the stock BT023s at 10,700km and 6,900km and to the PR4GTs at 11,700km and 9,800-12,500km (2 different rears) and add in the fact that the 009s are $100/set cheaper than the PR4GTs, and we have a winner. Additionally, I really liked the 009 front, especially compared to the PR4GT front which I hated.

Now for the problem. At about 7,500km the rear 009 developed a very slow, intermittent leak. I could not find the leak and it worsened over the remaining life of the tire. Prior to dismounting the tire I submerged the wheel/tire in water and discovered a very small bead leak over a 20cm area. I marked the sidewall with a silver Sharpie and upon dismounting the tire I discovered that the bead had split in the area that I had marked and the bead wire was exposed. See the attached photos.

I replaced the 009s with a set of PR4GTs because I had them on hand, and a new set of 009s that I had ordered prior to discovering the problem showed up a few days later. I am now (maybe) regretting buying another set of 009s. My question is: Do you think the 009 rear was just a one-off bad tire or did the tire tech (me) damage it when it was being installed? For the record, I'm guessing that I have changed 60-70 tires over the years and I have never had this happen before.

Thanks for any/all input. Be kind.

Haynes

Wood Denim Nail Vehicle door Electric blue Automotive tire Tire Tread Bumper Wood Automotive tire White Light Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Premium Member
2014 FJR ES
1,551 Posts
Looks like a either a manufacturing defect or an issue that developed when the tire was mounted, stressing that area. I'm only guessing with absolutely no information other than what was provided.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've ran a half dozen sets of Shinkos. On a gsxr, and 3 Hayabusas, now on the FJR. Never a bead problem. I rode one totally flat for 35kms home, patched it, and rode it to its limit.
OP, I'm concerned about the oem stones you wore out so fast??......mine went 17,000kms, and likely had 2,000 left in them. Front & rear.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OP, I'm concerned about the oem stones you wore out so fast??......mine went 17,000kms, and likely had 2,000 left in them. Front & rear.
I have no explanation other than to say that I never get as many kilometers/miles out of tires as others claim, regardless of the bike or the tires.

Also: Interestingly, the only front PR4GT I've run actually wore out before the rear. I currently have a second set of PR4GTs on and looking at them I'm betting the same thing will occur with this set. At 16,200km the 009 front still had a bit of life left in it.

If I can allay my fears about the 009 rear my go to tires going forward will be a full set of 009s. If not I'm leaning towards a 009 front and PR4GT rear.

Haynes

Reactions: Recalled

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like a factory defect .
My thoughts too. Perhaps the tear was there from the start (microscopically small) and got worse as the tire was used. Like I said, I only noticed the leak at about the 7,500km mark and at first it was intermittent: one day it would be down a couple of psi and the next day it'd be okay.

Haynes

·
Registered
663 Posts
What was date code on tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
278 Posts
Never heard of that brand, have tried lots over the years and have settled on Dunlop Road Smart 3, which tend to wear out together, which works well for me.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Never heard of that brand, have tried lots over the years and have settled on Dunlop Road Smart 3, which tend to wear out together, which works well for me.
When Yokohama quit making motorcycle tires, Shinko bought them out (m/c tires).
They've been around a decade or two.

Reactions: Fringe_Remnant

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,323 Posts
I've ran a couple of set of 009's and never had any leaks or the issue you have. They wore surprisingly long and yes I dislike PR4 fronts.
I don't know the cause of the bead issue... I'd say mount up the new set and carry on.

Reactions: Fringe_Remnant

·
Registered
186 Posts
For what it's worth, I just balanced my new PR4GT front and it's now completely without vibration. I'm hoping for longer life... and for the tire, too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts