FJR Owners Forum banner

Shifter lubrication

5K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Mad Cat 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone considered leaving out the wave washer on the inside shifter pivot bolt ?
Decided to lube this up for the first time and found that this wave washer creates some tension on the lever and it cannot move as freely as it does without it. I put it together replacing the wave and flat washers with a slightly thicker flat washer. Free as a bird now.
I know Yammie had a good reason for this perhaps !
What do you guys think ?

Maybe its there to help with the lever rattling around ?

#5 ·
Actually, cleaning and lubricating didnt change it. Thats why i went back in !
I contemplated leaving it the way it was designed, but thought ****, ill never know if i dont try it.

Late last night i googled this issue and found that a owners.com member that i have not seen on here for a while, Metrickmetal, did this with positive results.

No, i have not ridden it yet.

#3 ·
Kiwi, I thought the same thing when I did mine but chickened out,,, I figured they knew what they were doing right ? Just don’t look to close at the subframe.....

So have you got to ride it yet ? How’s it shift ?

#6 ·
There is a shoulder on there so you can't overtighten it and the wave washer allows a little freedom of movement. OK to use a flat washer I'd think as long as it isn't too thick and still allows movement without drag. I left my wave washer in place... lubing it improved it a lot.

Reactions: 2GENAE
#8 ·
I know this is an old thread, may not get a response. My shifter doesn't move as freely as it should. Sometimes when I'm shifting down I feel it doesn't come back fast enough, probably takes about a second for it to reach the point that I can engage the next lower gear. I own a second bike, Honda CTX1300, the shifter is instantaneous no lag.

One of the responses above suggests that cleaning it may not do the trick. Has anyone aside from Kiwiaudio replaced the washer with a thicker flat washer?.

#10 ·
I will give that a shot, the lag is bugging me specially when I'm in heavy traffic and need to shift as quickly as I need to.

Excuse the ignorance, how should I lubricate it?. Spray WD40 or remove the shifter clean it, lube it and put it back together?

#13 ·
I agree remove it and do it right.... I would not replace the wave washer on the pivot, you need a little freeplay there to let it move freely. Flat washer OK, but beware if it's too thick, won't move at all. You'll see once you have it apart.

#15 ·
Reactions: robbyk
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.