FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on finding that "sweet spot" in the throttle for the shift to go smooth as silk? Sometimes I am right there :D (ah yes perfect); other times I hear that sickening click which drives me completly nuts!! Should I remove one of the throttle springs; get thicker foam grips; or maybe I am just stupid and need to get the YES warranty asap... or I suppose I could just shoot myself and end the agony...no; this bike is too much fun for that option.

MORocket -05 ABS
Purchased used on 10-14-05 with 1900 miles; currently have 3300 miles.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I found that NOT pulling the clutch all the way in, kept just a little tiny bit of pressure on the cogs, and they swapped as sweet as yer grandma's jam...at any revs.

Malki

·
Registered
124 Posts
When I can be ar$ed I pre-load the lever and, as Malki says, pull the clutch in part-way and the cogs move when they feel good'n'ready.

·
Registered
163 Posts
MyOwnRocket said:
Any advice on finding that "sweet spot" in the throttle for the shift to go smooth as silk? Sometimes I am right there :D (ah yes perfect); other times I hear that sickening click which drives me completly nuts!! Should I remove one of the throttle springs; get thicker foam grips; or maybe I am just stupid and need to get the YES warranty asap... or I suppose I could just shoot myself and end the agony...no; this bike is too much fun for that option.

MORocket -05 ABS
Purchased used on 10-14-05 with 1900 miles; currently have 3300 miles.
Sure, there is a very simple solution: Sell it and buy the GrannyShift™ '06 model! :wink:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
When changing up the box, don't use the clutch.

Pre-load the gear change lever with your foot, throttle down and slip it into the next gear.

You'll probably find the "sweet spot" automaticaly as the revs decrease.

When you're good enough, you won't need to pre-load the lever.

Obviously, use the clutch when coming down the box.

I'm sure this will spur some controversy............. :lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I do find that the "sweet spot" varies depending on humidity and temperature. Just keep riding and playing. You'll figure it out (at least that's what my first girlfriend told me). :wink:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sure, there is a very simple solution: Sell it and buy the GrannyShift™ '06 model! :wink:[/quote]

Think about it, the E clutch model shifts in .1 to .2 of a second. To all the nay sayers of which I was one until last week, unless you like the taste and feel of crow feathers you might choose to keep a tight lip until you have had a try. This technology is where it will be at. I am just glad it came out on the FJR first.
Sorry I can't tell you more.

·
Registered
163 Posts
rocketdoc said:
Sure, there is a very simple solution: Sell it and buy the GrannyShift™ '06 model! :wink:
Think about it, the E clutch model shifts in .1 to .2 of a second. To all the nay sayers of which I was one until last week, unless you like the taste and feel of crow feathers you might choose to keep a tight lip until you have had a try. This technology is where it will be at. I am just glad it came out on the FJR first.
Sorry I can't tell you more.
Barbecued crow? :lol: Besides, being a righty, operating the clutch lever is the only exercise my left hand sees (leaves door wide open for mondo wise-ass comments...).

·
Registered
47 Posts
I begin the shift just as I start releasing the clutch. They more or less occur simultaneously. It soon becomes habit, and the shifts are ultra smooth and clunk free.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts