FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 FJR1300A
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I was installing a helmet lock this morning (thanks Scott Townsend) I noticed the shift lever was a little tight so I pulled the top off the shaft and the lever was tight, didn't move freely at all. I disassembled the foot peg bracket and removed the lever pivot bolt, it was at zero clearance, almost pressed in, I had to work it out of the lever. Chucked it up in the drill press and used 400 grit sand paper and removed just enough for the bolt to spin freely in the lever. It made a big difference in shifting, much better, smother shifts.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,911 Posts
Yeah, I've had to do that too. It's like the water resistant, extra sticky grease I used forms a hardened film that has to be lightly sanded off when it dries. I've tried dry moly aerosol but it doesn't to hold up well there, dunno why.

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3,249 Posts
It’s probably the only thing I should do, thst I don’t do. Never exposed that inside pivot. It gets a spritz every now and then. The exposed knuckle at the top of the bar gets cleaned and lubed. But never manned up and done that side. Done the rear brake plenty of times. But I guess I’m convinced I’ll do something wrong on the left side, and mess up the shifting.

·
Registered
2015 FJR1300A
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was pretty easy, the only odd thing to me was the Torx bolt on the front of the foot peg bracket when everything else is Allen bolts. If you don't have a #40 Torx you wont be able to remove the bracket. The Torx is the same size as the seat belt bolts on most cars and trucks so most auto parts stores should have them.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Yepper, mine from new was dry and not really free. I took it all apart cleaned and lube diet and it has been fine.

I think when I’m able that I’ll take its all apart and look at adding A grease zerk so place inconspicuous. At least. That’s what I’m thinking.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,561 Posts
How about an easy pictorial..... quickie procedure.....

Remove remove shift arm (item 16) from the top clevis on the transmission shaft, note spline position / punch mark, just remove the pinch bolt and slide it off. Putting it back on is the reverse.

Remove footpeg bracket (second pic), 4 bolts, items 10-11-12. One is a T-50 Torx. The entire shift linkage will come with it..... flip it over and remove the shoulder bolt item 28 in the first pic, noting the wave washer 29 and two other washers.... grease this up. Now peel back the rubber boots over the heim joints and give them a little lube, spray grease will do...... simply put everything back the way you found it, the shoulder bolt 28 will bottom out and snug that up (recommend loctite and ~30 ft.lbs). Check shift linkage pivots freely and there is a little end play for the wave washer.

Reinstall footpeg bracket, loctite on the M8 bolts 20ft.lbs, M10 35 ft.lbs. Reinstall shift arm pinch bolt snug (7 ft.lbs)

Font Map Parallel Auto part Automotive window part
Line Font Parallel Auto part Motor vehicle

·
Registered
492 Posts
How about an easy pictorial..... quickie procedure.....

Remove remove shift arm (item 16) from the top clevis on the transmission shaft, note spline position / punch mark, just remove the pinch bolt and slide it off. Putting it back on is the reverse.

Remove footpeg bracket (second pic), 4 bolts, items 10-11-12. One is a T-50 Torx. The entire shift linkage will come with it..... flip it over and remove the shoulder bolt item 28 in the first pic, noting the wave washer 29 and two other washers.... grease this up. Now peel back the rubber boots over the heim joints and give them a little lube, spray grease will do...... simply put everything back the way you found it, the shoulder bolt 28 will bottom out and snug that up (recommend loctite and ~30 ft.lbs). Check shift linkage pivots freely and there is a little end play for the wave washer.

Reinstall footpeg bracket, loctite on the M8 bolts 20ft.lbs, M10 35 ft.lbs. Reinstall shift arm pinch bolt snug (7 ft.lbs)

View attachment 82394 View attachment 82395
Nice step-by-step explanation. Better than a video!

Haynes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts