FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that my 2005 FJR has developed a handlebar shake when making any medium speed right hand turns (25-50mph) and when traveling straight at very low speeds (first gear.) It's that similar feeling as when a bike is following roadway scars or grooves. The bike has less than 5000 miles total on factory MEZ-4. It's never been wrecked and is completely stock.

I want to get it fixed, but want to have an idea of what to tell the stealer to look at. I'm just trying to avoid additional expenses. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx,
Ben

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Welcome Benjamin there should be some real knowledgeable guys along but I would start by checking the steering head torque values first. Then I would be a bit suspicious of the tires. There have been some discussions in the past of tread separation on Metz tires for the FJR. At 5,000 miles they may be at the end of their life cycle. Check for any balooning on the right sidewall. The tread separation happens internally so you may not be able to see it till its too late and blows out.

Glenn

·
Registered
72 Posts
Also would be advisable to check to see if your wheelbearings are wearing out or if your headset is tight. Place the bike on the center stand on top of a piece of 1x4 wood. Place something heavy on the rear seat (an adult usually works well) to bring the front wheel off the ground. Grasp the top and bottom of the front wheel from one side and see if you have any noticeable play. Also apply lateral and anterior/posterior motion to the steering to see if you're loose up top. If you lack the tools to adjust properly, go see your dealer for an adjustment.

TTYL

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry, now that I read my post it doesn't make a ton of sense. Send a PM to amain or warchild for more info. They are a great resource, amongst many other devoted FJRowners members. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Z4s are a pile of shite.
The rear will probably be fairly worn anyway, so changing then may make quite a difference. As has been said, having the incorrect tyre pressures can give the symptoms you describe.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Might be worth checking the wheel balance on the front wheel. Can't say I had this problem on the FJR but was certainly a problem on my CBR1000 and that was cured by the wheel being balanced properly.

Malki

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tires appear to still be in great shape. I've never had any probs with the MEZ-4's... even on my SV650. I think I'll try lifting the front wheel as mentioned, and see if there's any side to side or front to rear motion. It's worth a try. Tire pressures are within recommended specs. I'll check the wheel balance as well.

I'm open to any more suggestions. Thanx for the help guys. Great board!
Ben

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ten to One it's the tire mate. I had the same with my OEM Metz. The Bridgestones cupped and vibrated but didn't shake. The Avons will give you a subtle wobble at they approach their end as well. You'll see.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This has happened to me on several other motorcycle types and has been cured with front tyre replacement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Weven said:
This has happened to me on several other motorcycle types and has been cured with front tyre replacement.
I agree.
Have happen to me several times.
The solution I have found on this problem is to actually using the bike a little more actively thus wearing of som rubber on each side of the normal tire wear zone.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had the same and although it was better when the front tyre was changed it didnt completely go away .

I then found that the front wheel bearing needed replacing ,it wasnt too bad but would click when the wheel was spun

It was replaced under warranty and boy did it make a difference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The bike is under warranty...bring it to the dealer and let them check it for free. If it is a tire then, of course, you'll need to buy one or two.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a '04 FJR rider in Taiwan.
I have almost the same problem on my FJR, and it has never been wrecked. The milage is 6500 miles.
When I ride on my FJR, the speed is around 30mph, if I release my hands and the handlebar is swinging. I sent the motorcycle to the agent, they just tightened the screw nuts, but it didn't work.
I also tried to change my front tire from Bridgestone BT014 to BT012ss,
it improveed nothing. The tire and wheel balance are also checked,
Could you give me any suggestion? ThankS!

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
jackie_duan,

Both my '03 and '05 did the same thing with full-on sport tires. There was nothing wrong with my wheel bearings, or my steering head torque. The FJR's geometry wasn't necessarily designed for D208/BT014/BT012/PilotPower/M1/etc. rubber. I also found that the problem was exacerbated by more heavily loaded saddle bags. (No probs when I kept my hands on the bars though)

To the gent with the shaking problem when turning... good advice already given. I'd add my opinion that, unless there's something else OBVIOUSLY wrong, I'd bin that tire before you could say, "Bob's your uncle."

:)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Changed tyres to BT020s and noticed that at 40mph when hands were taken off bars had a slight head shake, turned out to be slack head bearings, tightened up and all is well again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your quickly reply.
But the strange thing is, the handlebar shaking problem was happened after 1000 miles when I 've changed the front tire form BT020 to BT014. As Liquidsilver said, it became havier when I added more weight to saddle bags. It not only happened when turning but also going straight on my FJR. This is the 2nd time, when the problem happened at the 1st time, the milage was around 3000 miles, I asked the agent to tighten up the head screw to solve it. But it was useless at this time.
Could you give more suggestion? Thank you so much.

·
Registered
149 Posts
One of the other things that can give the headshake is having a Givi top box on the back and no pillion passenger but this tends to happen at high speed .

After that I am running out of ideas

:shock:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts