FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a brief blurb in MCN this month about the EU considering legislating regulating motorcycle repair to 'authorized' shops only, thereby prohibiting you from doing your own maintenance. What's the skinny on this?

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
It's the TUV & emission regs it's been on the cards for years.
They are already trying to do it with cars ie, a light comes on, on the dash board to tell you it's due for a service and only a dealer can turn it off! But you could be fined if caught driving with the light on.

It's one way of getting the old bangers off the road.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't understant the usefulness of that since we already have the ITV - periodical vehicle inspection - that, by the way, will be mandatory for motorcycles in 2007 (here in Portugal). When you go to ITV, CO emissions are controled, as well as the general condition of the vehicle regarding to safety issues, etc.
EU comissars elaborate not few decisions without sense but I don't believe this will be one of them...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Shakey said:
In Holland there is no annual test for motorcycles :?: weird innit!
Nope. Reason why: cause studies have shown that m'cycles are typically well maintained and looked after. As bikes are mostly luxury and recreational vehicles, people tend to take care of them, unlike cars which are typically just a means of transportation.

·
Registered
247 Posts
afterburn said:
Nope. Reason why: cause studies have shown that m'cycles are typically well maintained and looked after. As bikes are mostly luxury and recreational vehicles, people tend to take care of them, unlike cars which are typically just a means of transportation.
Quite right too :!:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Unfortunately its the "they're only a luxury" mentality amongst the powers that be that leads to motorcyclists being ignored when other things are being considered as well.
Little things like making crash barriers that don't sever limbs (DOT only got round to a trial installation of some bike safe Armco in the UK this year, and those wire rope monstrosities look like they are set to stay), or positioning manhole covers so they are not on the line through a corner that a bike will take (IIRC this has made it into the latest official guidance for road engineers).
The more widespread the assumption that bikes are not an everyday mode of transport, then the longer the authorities in charge of the road network can ignore our needs.

[/soapbox] :oops:

·
Registered
141 Posts
On the other hand, the more we get ignored, the less we are troubled by the curses of legislation. It's a double edged sword. Personally, I prefer less legislation. The risks of things like barriers is something I can control myself by adapting my riding style.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Keeping your head down doesn't always work though. The EU very nearly bought in a licencing system so complicated that it would practically guarantee that there would be no more young motorcyclists coming along to replace us.
Only just got defeated by the BMF and the other european biking organisations, and it wouldn't have made any difference to us who already ride, but as long as it is seen as just a relaxing pastime the authorities think it is fair game.
Remember the Swedish transport chiefs comments about having a target of zero motorcycles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts