FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my 06 FJR yesterday and I find it hard to believe it doesn't have self cancelling turn signals! I have a 77 XS650 and a 04 Vmax and they both have it! Anyone know why?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Because your not stupid enough to forget to turn them off?
If you aint riding enough to make it second nature then get out of the car & on the bike more, I can barely remember where I live but I can do it. :roll:
Seriously, are they a good idea? cant say I would want my indicators doing their own thing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Genius!

Wow Tony, Why didn't I think of turning them off? I'm curious have you ever ridden a motorcycle? Obviously that feature has never been offered in England, except when Lucas was around and then they would turn off at any moment!! I know I rode a 73 Laverda in europe for many years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Daftlad for the link. seems to be some sharply divided opions regarding this issue! I'm just used to it from my other two bikes, I'm sure I'll come around!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I thought the manufacturers ditched them so they couldn't be sued if they went wrong, staying on, and maybe caused an accident. If you have to cancel them yourself and forget then it's your fault.

·
Registered
185 Posts
In fairness, we all have forgoten to turn them off at some point but I still dont want em on my bike.
@ mike8132 - sorry, so easy to bait :twisted: self cancelling turn signals, ultraseal, ABS etc.. always bound to cause some (fun) friction.

@russell arthritic - Yup I thought that to, or of course turned off to early & got you knocked off that way.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My Harley V-Rod has them and I like it. They are controlled by the ECM and don't just turn off after a specified time. I think the reason that most bikes don't have them is due to a lawsuit over royalties for the self-cancelling technology several years ago. My buddies '81 1100 Yamaha had them, but you have to look long and hard to find a bike with them today, other than Harleys. Even the Gold Wing doesn't have them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
mike8132 said:
I picked up my 06 FJR yesterday and I find it hard to believe it doesn't have self cancelling turn signals! I have a 77 XS650 and a 04 Vmax and they both have it! Anyone know why?
You can install the Kisan signalMinder, it has programmable flash times, etc.
signalMinder Notes
- Automatic turn signal cancellation
- Running light option built-in
- Brake override option built-in

http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=4

·
Registered
58 Posts
Every time I forget to cancel my turn signals it's a reminder that it means I'm probably not paying enough attention to riding

So instead of getting ticked off at Yamaha for not putting the feature on the bike, I like to think of it as a small excercise to use to while riding.

Forces me to go through the same mental checklist when taking a cornering or changing lanes.

Bottom line is it doesn't bother me, any more than shifting gears or getting a bug splattered on my visor. Just reminds me that I'm out riding and loving it.

Brian.

·
Registered
24 Posts
my goldwing has them!
That's strange. So does mine. We must be 'special'.

Actually I've had several bikes with and without self cancelling sigs. Even had some bikes with no sigs. 1950 H-D did not come with them.

When I ride with the self cancelling sigs, I cancel them out before they do it themselves. Looks pretty dorky (not to mention dangerous) to keep riding after the turn with the sig still blinking. Some were a bit slow to shut down. OTOH, the ones on my Wing shut off too soon at times. Or maybe I just turn them on too early?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Odd why Harleys would have any turn signals as it is sooo declasse to use anything other than the old school hand signals when out riding with the bros. Exceptionally cool when you kinda point down to the pavement when making a left or changing lanes, indication being I suppose that you are going to plant your Dunlop, like, right there!. In all reality I guess that's better than no signal at all........and it is a perfectly legal thing to do here in good ol' Fla.... 8)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 05 FJR. I bought the Kisan turn signal cancel module last year (05). It must have a slow processor. The signals were slow to turn on, slow while flashing and when you push the cancel, you had to really hold it. I disliked them, but thought they were better than nothing. The one advantage to the Kisan unit was no soldering or splicing. This winter, I did some more research and found a unit from Kriss. http://www.kriss.com/tscancel.htm. This unit requires some soldering or splicing, BUT, it uses the original Yamaha flasher and works great. Signals engage fast and cancel instantly. I wouldn't take the Kisan back for any reason.

If you want your flashers to work, you can use two single pole single throw relays. One is articulated by the brake, one is articulated by the neutral ground. The relays let you send +12 to the turn signal cancel unit if either condition is true. You need to understand relays to make this work, if you don't , you can, just do some studying. Enjoy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts