FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a potential convert to the FJR, as I'm on the verge of buying an '03 model from a dealer in Leicester, and was wondering what advice would you give on possible problems (if any :wink: ) to watch out for.
This is the only info I currently have on the bike:
================================================
YAMAHA FJR 1300cc , 2003 03 Reg , 13,000 miles, Metallic Silver. Good Condition, 6 months warranty. Great bike for touring with all mod cons fitted ie: electronic screen etc £5,999
================================================
Also, does that look like a good price to you seasoned vets, or should it be easy enough to knock him down....so to speak. 8)
I should add that, if any of you know of an even better deal out there, feel free to let me know about it. :D

Thanks for your help,

G

·
Registered
632 Posts
Price looks about right from a dealer.Offer him £5,500 for cash and you'll get a bargain.

The electronic screen is standard......

You really want the ABS model.
You should make sure it has the panniers included. Some people traded theirs in without - and then sold them on ebay. (tut tut)
Does it have heated grips?
The screen is not the most comfortable - many of us modded it to make it better. You really need to have a test ride on one and see how you feel. But that should not put you off buying one.
Is it an import? A lot of bikes came over from America - you can tell because they don't have the headlamp flasher. Another way to tell is that they have reflectors on the front forks.

Other than that, nothing goes wrong. You will hear talks of "ticking". That happened on a few bikes (and was blown up by the users) and was the valves guides working loose. Yamaha know of the problem and are supposed to replace them - even after the warrenty runs out. Talk to the dealer about it if you are worried.

They are mile munchers of the best sort. You won't be disappointed.

Ahh -just noticed you're based in Ireland. Try Keith Dixon Motorcycles of Accrington (01254 232221). I got my new bike from him and I know he has a very clean '52 plate bike in there (as well as 2 '04's.)

Alan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, Alan.

I've sent on a bunch of questions to the dealer addressing most of those issues. Ironically enough, I hadn't thought it might be an import. Then again, I've seen some pics of the bike, and it doesn't have the fork reflectors, so that's a good sign. It didn't have the panniers in the pic either, though, so that's a bad sign.
I don't think the finances will stretch to the ABS model for the forseeable future, unfortunately, as I've got a wedding to pay for. I can see it now "Hi honey, look at the lovely new FJR I got. It's the ABS model and everything!" (terrifying pause) SLAP!!! :roll: :D
Test rides, believe it or not, are incredibly difficult to organise over here. Dealers just aren't willing to do it, BMW being the exception. So, I'll probably have to set that up for the day that I turn up to buy it (or not, depending on the outcome of the ride).
Thanks for the "ticking" pointer. I'll definitely raise that with the dealer.
Do Keith Dixon's have a web site? I've done a quick search, but can't seem to find one.

G

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I would say it's a decent price for 03+13000 miles, but as said, try and knock him down, especialy if you have no part exchange AND there is no panniers with it - which are very, very expensive to buy seperately.

Also, check that it is not a parallel European import from France - because French bikes are restricted.

We all know that you will not be disappointed with the FJR.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Just a little thing, but if they're not including the panniers with the bike, then check to see if they are including the spare lock barrels and the little plastic blanking plates to cover the holes the panniers clip on to.
I know it's a long shot, but they were all supplied free when the bike was new, and the plastic bits alone cost about £40 for the set (IIRC). The lock barrels are essential if you find some panniers, and only want carry one key but don't want to pay Yamaha a three figure sum for a new matching set.

·
Registered
80 Posts
FJR

I got an 03 ABS model woth 8000 miles, panniers and all for £5500. So what your dealer is asking isnt far off. With no panniers and it being non abs, a good private price would be £5000. Make sure it has full service history aswell. :ale:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tips, gents. He's down to £5600 so far. Still waiting for an answer to the questions raised by Rabbit, Marshman, and Rescue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, here's the (hopefully) final rundown on the bike:

Registered 2003.
13,000 miles.
UK spec bike.
Non-ABS.
No panniers.
No heated grips.
No alarm.
No lock barrels or plastic blanking plates.
Small amount of salt corrosion around the engine.
Full service history up to 10,000 miles, and the dealer says he has "carried out the relevant service for the mileage of the vehicle" (a tad evasive here, maybe?).
Price £5600.

How does that sound?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
F*&%$ING HELL!!

I spoke/posted too soon.

Just got a mail from the dealer to say that they only just realised that the exhausts are non-standard. They are, in fact, Predators, and the original cans are not available. I'm starting to think I should walk away from this one. :cry:

What do you all think?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Meskells motorcycle in Limerick had an 04 FJR for sale a while ago. You could ring and ask 061-337256
They are a decent enough crowd to deal with. I bought mine new from them, parallel import from NL.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For future refrence regarding matching keys for igintion and panniers.
I own an 03, after purchasing the bike used I bought a used factory top box which came with the key. Went to my local locksmith and paid him $10.00 to rekey the top box to match the iginition and pannier keys. It took him about 15 minutes and for the past two seasons the one key has alway worked in all the locks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Gwelfmike3 said:
For future refrence regarding matching keys for igintion and panniers.
I own an 03, after purchasing the bike used I bought a used factory top box which came with the key. Went to my local locksmith and paid him $10.00 to rekey the top box to match the iginition and pannier keys. It took him about 15 minutes and for the past two seasons the one key has alway worked in all the locks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Good advice

Stear clear of this bike. I bet that dealer got the bike in for less than 4k. A private sale price would be about £4500. That dealer is gonna rip somebody off !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts