FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a call from my dealer the first bike came in ,and the second one is mine.standing at 5:8 i am on tippy toes when i sat on this bike ,am i better off modifying stock seat if possible or any one know of any after market yet ,thanks for ideas..................

·
Registered
80 Posts
seat hight

Im 5'7" with an inside leg of 29" and thought about getting the seat done.To be honest at 5'8" you are a veritable giant and should mange an FJR piece of piss.
If you do need to loose some height then send the seat to Tony Archer. Shit hot service at a very good price. Ill sort some pics of the seat he did for me.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Paul (Rescue) - he is in the USA - Tony Archer is a long way from him.

Also, looks like he has a 2006 model. That has an adjustable seat height so, it should be possible to set it lower than the standard 2001-5 models.

Alan

·
Registered
737 Posts
alan sh said:
Also, looks like he has a 2006 model. That has an adjustable seat height so, it should be possible to set it lower than the standard 2001-5 models.

Alan
The problem with the '06 seat is, the front of the seat is wider...which makes it more difficult ( than the 2001-5 ) to reach the ground...even in the low position. :cry:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Kouba Link - Fantastic. They dropped the seat 3/4". Recommended here. I bought them and installed them. They are great and as far as I can tell have not affected performance.
3 thumbs up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hoppy said:
Kouba Link - Fantastic. They dropped the seat 3/4". Recommended here. I bought them and installed them. They are great and as far as I can tell have not affected performance.
3 thumbs up.
I just had a look at koubalink.com and their products are getting excellent reviews: affordable, easy to install and efficient without altering the bike's behavior or performance 8)
The only thing is that apparently they don't make their links for the 2006 FJR yet, so I sent them an email saying I'm very interested. All '06 owners who could use their lowering links please write to them as well, as they say they will make new products if they see that there's enough demand. For such a great bike as the '06 FJR, the demand should be there, it's just a matter of letting them know, I guess :D
hoppy, did you learn about their links through someone who already had them and was pleased with the result?

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a follow-up to my previous post, here's Norm Kouba's reply to the email I sent him about links for the '06:
We believe the 06 FJR1300 links are longer than the earlier models but have not been able to confirm their exact length. We have not been able to locate an 06 model to check everything out for length and clearances, but plan to do so as soon as we can. Assume we can still lower the rear approx. 1 inch without causing any problems. Thanks for checking and keep in touch.
Norm Kouba
www.koubalinks.com
8660 Brookside Ln., Boise, ID 83714
Tel/Fax: 1.208.939.3753
Email: [email protected]

Maybe one of you guys could give him the specs he needs about the '06 model?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Ok people, quit your wining. I am 5'4" lets not even talk about inseam. Be a man and tip toe through the oil slicks at traffic lights. That is where the excitement is.

Emailing, Norm Kouba now.............

Bryon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is there any chance, the guy from Bolton who knows the seat lowering man could give me some more info.

Im 5 feet 5 with a 27" inside leg and struggling a bit, does that make me king of the short-arsed FJR owners?

Cheers, Lee.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
harley street rod 30 inch hieght,handles and has speed,the pain of waiting for a bike so long with all these obstacles to over come and having no idea the arrival date,i wonder if it really is worth it, only time will tell maybe by 07 i will have the bike sorry for the negative attitude just getting old and dont realy know whats its like...................

·
Registered
632 Posts
lee71 said:
Is there any chance, the guy from Bolton who knows the seat lowering man could give me some more info.

Im 5 feet 5 with a 27" inside leg and struggling a bit, does that make me king of the short-arsed FJR owners?

Cheers, Lee.
Paul hasn't replied (He's the one from Bolton) but I am also a "shortarse" - 5 foot 5" with 27" inside leg, so I can maybe offer some advice.

1. The lowering "dogbones" (alters the suspension height) are not a good idea. They change the steering geometry and make it very hard to get the bike on the centre stand plus the bike sits more vertical on the side stand.

2. Changing the seat height does work - but you do have to make sure it's done properly. Tony Archer in Huddersfield seems to be the current favourite. I sat on one of his seats for the '06 model and it was superb. I have seen Pauls one for the '05 (not lowered but made more comfy) and it looked the bees knees.....

His address etc is:

Tony Archer
Address: Unit 7D Riverside Works, Bradley Mills Road, Huddersfield.
Telephone: 01484 536832.

Ring him, discuss your requirements and go for it!. I intend to as soon as I can find some time when I am not riding the bike.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I see I am not alone. I had not thought about the center stand, side stand thing. Good point. I really like the way the bike sits (angle of knees) and I am not sure that I want to alter that either with the seat. Maybe I should just buy a good set of frame sliders, "for that day" and tough it out. :mrgreen:

Bryon

·
Registered
40 Posts
alan sh,
quote:"The lowering "dogbones" (alters the suspension height) are not a good idea. They change the steering geometry and make it very hard to get the bike on the centre stand plus the bike sits more vertical on the side stand."

I have my bike lowered an inch in the back with dogbones and slid the forks up 12mm (maximum) in the front to compensate. My seat is also lowered using a 3/4 inch thick gel pad on top of the seat base.
I ride two up and would never go back to the uncertain feelings I had at every stop. The handling hasn't changed, but neither do I engage in peg scraping.
The sidestand isn't a problem, either. Just file about 1/8 inch off of the stop to enable the stand to swing past dead center. That lowers the bike to the left & also prevents the dreaded unstable sidestand syndrome. Yes, it can be a bear getting the bike on the centerstand, but carry a short 2x6 inch board to place under the rear wheel and lifting the bike on the
centerstand is easy.
Longer links does make the spring weaker in effect. When I had the OEM shock I added a 1/4 inch spacer under the spring to compensate. I now use a 1 inch shorter Wilbers shock with a heavier spring for my weight & two up touring loads.
dobias

·
Registered
18 Posts
OK you guys with the 29" inseams talking about lowering your bike. I am 5' 6" with 26" inseams and I have no problem handling this bike. I am always tippy toe on any bike I ride and am use to it. POINTER: Always engage brain before coming to a stop.

Yes, the 06 seat is wider at the front than previous model which makes it a little harder to reach the ground but it is so much more comfortable than my 05 seat. My 05 seat was replaced with custom seat from the get-go but I think this 06 seat is a keeper and I find it very comfortable. That just saved me $500.

Lowering a bikes suspension to reach the ground better is a no-go for me. The foot pegs already drag the payment to easy as it is. I ride mostly a BMW R12GS which has a seat height of 2 to 3 inches higher than the FJR. I can tippy toe one foot at a time. NO problems - Again just engage brain when coming to a stop. The GS with a higher seat is easier to handle at a stop than the FJR - lighter the bike the easier it is. I have a WR250F dirt bike that when riding both feet are 13" off the ground. Again no problem. Being able to flat foot at stops is way over rated. Now if I had been blessed with your 29" inseams I might even go looking for a taller bike. No substitue for Horsepower and ground clearance.
8)

·
Registered
632 Posts
I got the seat lowered for my '06 - and now it's too low. My knees are bent too much to be comfortable.

So, for now, I have put the seat into the high position. It's a tad higher than the old seat in the low position - but it's manageable.

I think some thicker soles will cure that problem !!!

But I do disagree about the seat comfort. The old one was fine for me. The new one was way too hard. This one seems a bit better but only time will tell.

Alan

·
Registered
18 Posts
@alan sh

I have the 2005 stock seat and a less than 29" inseem. I found it manageable without going for the 'doctored' seat. You may remember I was interested in that. Ok, you mention thicker soles. I went to Altberg and had some boots made up with their skywalker walking boot soles. Excellent boots and they've made a big ney massive difference to getting my foot down. Due to the increased thickness ( I had sidi's before) I've had to twiddle the gear lever. The boots were £120 'ish plus two runs up to Richmond, N Yorks.

Walking taller ( about 10mm)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.