FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm thinking of trading in my BMW R1100RT for a 06 FJR. I had to lower my RT with shorter shocks and a Sargent "Low" seat. I've got a 29" inseam. Will I have the same problem with the FJR? Are there any fixes to get it lowered if I have to?
Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Well the 06 has two seat height settings to start with.

You can buy (in the UK) different suspension dog bones to lower the bike, but it may affect ground clearance on full lean.

Otherwise, having the seat re-upholstered with some foam cut out.

I think there is a similar discussion somewhere on this site, do a quick search.

·
Registered
721 Posts
29" here too and the 06 did seem slightly lower when I tried it for size at one of the bike shows. Couldn't flat foot with both feet but still secure as anything I've ridden.

·
Registered
12 Posts
BigArn said:
Hello, I'm thinking of trading in my BMW R1100RT for a 06 FJR. I had to lower my RT with shorter shocks and a Sargent "Low" seat. I've got a 29" inseam. Will I have the same problem with the FJR? Are there any fixes to get it lowered if I have to?
Thanks
Mark
I haven't used these, but seem to be well built.

http://www.adjustmenttech.com/

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Paging Bounce. Bounce, will you please come to the forum and prescribe your solution to the problem addressed in this thread. Thank you.

Ron, Bounce will be along shortly (hahaha) with his suggested solution.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Seat height

Hi, I also felt that the seat was too high so lowered the suspension by using a pair of the extended dogbones (link the rear shock to the swingarm). Fitting was relatively easy but does need some assistance in lifting bike to position the dogbones.

I have found that they make a tremendous difference. More confidence with both feet flat on the floor. The owners club recommend lowering the front forks to maintain the steering geometry but I haven't bothered and this, for me, gives a better riding position and 'feel.'

The only drawbacks are that the the lower height means the bike bottoms out easier. Only a problem if I go too quickly over the kerb into the driveway. Also, a bit more difficult to get onto the centre stand but again, not that much of a problem.

The dogbones are available from the FJ owners club.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts