FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I spend any more cash on a seat, if I could ask some questions of those of you who are using the Sargent seat made for the FJR. Not custom made, but out of the box.

1) Did Sargent resolve the issue of "slide" into the tank ?
2) Did you get the Griptex or Carbon FX ?
3) Do you have an ass that is "meaty" or "bony" (as I have)
4) Your weight please - kind of important I think
5) Are you happy with the seat ?
6) How does it compare to any "aftermarkets" you have previously owned. ?

I'm STILL looking for a seat that will fit
. Have not tried Russell yet, mainly cause I'm cheap , but so far have spent well in excess of a grand on seats, and still looking!
went from stock to Meyer (didn't work even after a re-do), then to corbin which was a little better after throwing a sheepskin on it. Now I'm back to stock with a sheepskin - 150 miles and hurting. Also tried all these with a Travelcade gel pad - still no good for the long haul.

I thank any of you who take the time to give a reply

·
Registered
426 Posts
Why not take a stock seat and try to modify it yourself? You can buy the memory foam online and a google search will find all kinds of pictorials done by others before you. I really don't think it would be that tuff. If nothing else, you could get a seat close enough for you to tell a custom builder what you really want. $40 worth of foam and some of your time could go a long way. If the stock cover doesn't fit when you get done, any upholsterer could recover it for you inexpensively.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried the re-do myself with close-cell foam, never thought to use memory foam, hmmmmmm

·
Registered
21 Posts
RogDeb,

Which Mayer did you use? There is a Bill and a Rich.

I too am looking for a new seat. I was looking at the Rich Mayer Custom and the Russell. Looking hard at the Russell due to my size, 6"2'-250.

Anyone else with input????

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Jinxd,
Went with the Rick meyer seat originally.
After a lot of research, I'm now going with Bill(Rocky) Meyer as I've heard nothing but good reports from his product.
I ride down to Ojai tomorrow for a custom fitting.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Okay, I will give it a try RogDeb....

1) Did Sargent resolve the issue of "slide" into the tank ?
I really have not noted a problem with this. Maybe if I armor all the seat maybe.

2) Did you get the Griptex or Carbon FX ?
Carbon FX (no choice as I bought it off of Ebay).

3) Do you have an ass that is "meaty" or "bony" (as I have)
Bony butt here.

4) Your weight please - kind of important I think
195 , over 6 feet tall. Pretty much off the shelf size wise

5) Are you happy with the seat ?
Yes, based upon the factors of Price and comfort. I reccomend Ebay if you find an honorable seller which most are with this kind of stuff.

6) How does it compare to any "aftermarkets" you have previously owned. ?

Okay, so here is my long journey to where I am today. I bought my 03 FJR in New Jersey and rode it down here to Miami. That stock seat was so bad for me that I bought a hemmoroid pillow at a truck stop (North Carolina) just to make it better !! That thing saved my butt :)

In all cases, both Ann and I ALWAYS wear full touring suits on any trip longer than about 3 hours.

Then comes EOM 2004 and I bought a Corbin for the ride up. For me (this is all subjective, right) the Corbin was worse than stock and I forgot my "special" pillow (ouch!!). It was a HARD seat. As an post script to the Corbin experience, I gave Corbin a 2nd chance (Ebay again) with my ultra-modified FZ1 and I only "tolerate" the Corbin because I only commute with the FZ. This Corbin is hard as well, so I don't know where they get the "comfort cell" slogan from ?? Sidenote: Ann did not like the stock 03 seat at all. We put 30,000 miles on the 03.

Then I bought the 05 and both Ann and I liked it much better than the 03 but anything longer than 2 hours started hurting. We are at 25,000 miles on the 05. We tried a sheepskin cover for a while and it did help us last for an extra hour max.

Then we rented a US 04 for an Alps trip. We decided to wear my "sailing shorts" on the long Alps trip last year and WOW did that help. The sailing shorts have a padding in the butt for those long days of sitting on the rail. 8 hours, no problem. But part of that might have been our adreniline being a bit high :D Sidenote: Ann liked the stock 04 seat just fine and she did use sailing shorts as well in the Alps.

Then I bought the Sergant for my now reliable ole 05. I have to say that I can go for about 4 hours with the Sergant with no problem without any special props. I like the seat and Ann noted a significant improvement. We have migrated from sailing shorts to bicycle shorts with padded seats.

I HIGHLY reccomend wearing a pair of bicycle shorts for long trips. They just work awesome in conjunction with full riding suits. And for 30 bucks, they are much cheaper than a new seat !! I would have to say that my final solution is the Sergant used in conjunction with bicycle riding shorts.

Was that too much information :mrgreen:

Regards to all ,

Boof

·
Super Moderator
3,962 Posts
Sounds like me the first time around. I spent more than the cost of a Russell trying to avoid spending the money to buy a Russell. After my first one, I knew how I'd wasted all that time and money. The next time 'round (new bike), I went with Russell right away. Money well spent.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, I appreciate all the replies.
Decision made after some more research -- we both ride down to Bill Meyer's (leaving in approx 1 hour) to get ourselves one if his custom's -- "ride in appointment" at 07.00am Wednesday.
The story continues and will end on a positive ride report :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.