FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
You have got to be kidding me... :roll:

I studied engineering and I can tell you, that was designed by an engineer because it fulfills two of the necessary requirements:

The failure will not appear until a unit has passed final inspection

The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman

I sure do hope the aftermarket comes up with a work-around for that delicate piece of built-in obsolescence...
Don't forget to give credit to the designers for planned obsolescence of this bracket... Unlike aircraft airframes, bridges and skyscrapers that are all designed to be flexible in order to survive critical forces this piece was re-designed to be as rigid and fragile as possible by switching from pliable stamped steel to an aluminum alloy that by definition of the material can't bend without breaking. The benefit: $257.95 for the part and $153 (1.8hr) for the labor I had to pay to Yamaha to fix this. Image for a second that the wings that hold mirror are actually springs, so instead of breaking off they would flex and go back with the fairing, that's $410.95 loss to the Yamaha and associates...

·
Registered
571 Posts
Short of not wadding up the bike, the only other alternative to prevent the stay from damage in a tip over is to remove the mirror assemblies themselves.

I've already purchased bar end adapters, CRG bar end mirrors and I'm ordering several different mirror block off plates to see what looks the best, then my OEM mirrors are going in a box... in a tip over it's a lot cheaper to replace a bar end and bar end mirror than to have to spend what you and Bernie have had to spend repairing the damage MamaYama had to have known would occur...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Short of not wadding up the bike, the only other alternative to prevent the stay from damage in a tip over is to remove the mirror assemblies themselves.

I've already purchased bar end adapters, CRG bar end mirrors and I'm ordering several different mirror block off plates to see what looks the best, then my OEM mirrors are going in a box... in a tip over it's a lot cheaper to replace a bar end and bar end mirror than to have to spend what you and Bernie have had to spend repairing the damage MamaYama had to have known would occur...
Keep us posted. I'm sure that I'm not the only other person looking to do this mod. :cool:

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
$257.95 for the part and $153 (1.8hr) for the labor I had to pay to Yamaha to fix this.
Well, I payed US$200 for the Stay, $100 for the mirror, and $100 for shipping. So, you were over charged for the Stay, but under charged for the labour, by a huge margin. I don't think even Merlin the magician could do this job in 1.8 hours, 18 hours would be more realistic. :confused:

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Started the process of replacing the Stay today. Got the broken one out, and the new one in place, and will start assembling the bits and pieces tomorrow. Here are some pics of the fun.

SCREEN AND CENTRE PANEL OFF

CENTRE COWLING AND HEADLIGHT ASSY. THESE MUST BE REMOVED TOGETHER DUE TO THE SCREW IN THE PINK SQUARE BEING INACCESSIBLE.

UNDER THE COVERS

INSTRUMENT ASSY OFF

STAY OUT

BROKEN AND NEW STAYS

WINDSCREEN MOTOR ASSY

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thanks for continuing to post images of your work, Bernie. We're all learning through your experiences just what it takes to repair this beastie, I hope the restoration goes smoothly.

When I was looking at the images and how everything was placed under the cowl my first thought was it looks like something right out of H.R. Giger's biomechanical artwork...

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Well, I have the front and right side of the bike reassembled OK, both mirrors on, and I took the opportunity to fit and wire in my GPS, much easier with all the plastic out of the way.

There is much less support for the fairing panels on this bike than there is on the Gen2 models. Most of the panels simply snap together with tiny plastic lugs along the edges. These are a b***** to undo because you cannot see where they are. About half a dozen of the little plastic push in panel pins got sheered off in the crash, so the fairing must have flexed quite a lot during the crash. I will have to buy a hand full of them tomorrow.

There is a lot of extra wiring and electrical components around the battery box, most of it hidden by the right side fairing panel, so that will have to come off for any electrical trouble shooting.

I am now waiting for the left side fairing panel and left pannier lid to be repaired and resprayed. Of course, nothing was done over the Christmas break, so it will be into the new year before I get those back.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Well, I payed US$200 for the Stay, $100 for the mirror, and $100 for shipping. So, you were over charged for the Stay, but under charged for the labour, by a huge margin. I don't think even Merlin the magician could do this job in 1.8 hours, 18 hours would be more realistic. :confused:
Agree 100%. I'm not quite sure how they came up with that two hours job, didn't make any sense to me. And since insurance company paid I couldn't care less what they charge either. Oh well. Good luck to your Bernie, hopefully you'll be able to put that puzzle back together without left overs :)

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Success, my bike is back to it's pristine, beautiful self. I had a bit of luck with the repairs to the side panel and pannier lid. My girl does clerical work for a smash repair shop in Perth, and she got them to do my repairs. They did an absolutely beautiful job, and they did it free of charge, though of course, I have bought an expensive bottle of plonk for her boss as thanks.

I have also fitted a pair of genuine Yamaha frame sliders, and a FJR tank pad. They were very expensive, but to my surprise, they were no more expensive from Yam Aus than from Yam USA, so I bought local.

The bike started second touch of the starter, despite having stood for a month in my gym, and everything worked, so I am feeling particularly chuffed with myself at the moment. I didn't take it for a ride however, because the temperature outside is +44C (111F), which is a bit too hot for my delicate body. Perhaps tomorrow.

·
Registered
571 Posts
So glad to see you're back up and running and were successful, it was certainly a major undertaking, good on ya for having the perseverance to see it through... she looks great and I love your '14's color much better than the red the USA market got... :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Long time since posting this but I just picked up an 14 and a set of OEM frame sliders. Question.

Did you use stock bolts or did you need to use longer or any additional hardware besides just the bracket and FJR stamped rubber?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Hell, it's been nearly 9 years since I did this job, but I don't remember needing longer bolts. I do remember that you need to cut a little piece out of the edge of the fairing at some point.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Thanks

Ended up with longer bolts and spacers. Still need to cut the plastic a bit on both sides

Thank you kindly for writing me back. I bought a 14 with a broken mirror stay and your thread was very helpful. Thank you again.

·
Registered
2017 FJR1300ES
40 Posts
Sad news, but the important thing is that you are ok.
On June 4th I took my 1953 Vincent out for a ride after getting it back from a 6 month restoration. I hit a set of train tracks, the bike developed a nasty tank slapper which threw me onto the road at 60mph. 6 broken ribs, 1 punctured lung and a broken shoulder blade. 9 days in the hospital and I am still slowly recovering.
Luckily the Vincent was barely damaged - less than $1000.00 worth of damage…but the Vincent, that my father bought new is now for sale.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts