FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Mirror block off plates are one solution, I use them on my R1 along with bar end mirrors, I've pondered trying to see what would fit the Gen III FJR and remove the stock mirrors completely and go to bar end mirrors, they're much easier to replace... :mrgreen: I'm sure a block off plate is out there that would properly fit a Gen III, I need to do some measuring...
If they're the type on a riser, they probably wouldn't strike the ground at all in a tipover. The ones that extend horizontally would more than likely scrape. I look forward to the results of your search on the block off plates. :) I'm in FL now for work and definitely missing my FJR. :(

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I've found that the Gen3 mirror is identical to the Gen2 mirror if that is any help.

I have actually ordered a 2008 black mirror to replace my one. :D

·
Registered
853 Posts
The mirror issue is the one thing that I'm trying to figure out so far as drop protection goes. A small plastic "skid" can be fitted on the upper fairings to protect them, but the mirrors take a lot more impact energy than I originally thought since they don't hinge away fully causing them to "dig in" and upend the bike. Short stalked mirrors and fairing skids would work, but you'd sacrifice visibility and clean looks. I'm optimistic that I'll figure it out eventually, though.
Eric - perhaps the solution is not there at all... Perhaps we need an additional frame protection member, a sport-bike-like frame slider fitted above the Cage that would prevent the bike from rolling far enough to damage the mirrors and the mirror frame. I can see how a rubber pad could protect the top of the fairing, the mirror - I almost agree to sacrifice or protect somewhat with another rubber pad. But mirror frame....that one you can't protect at all unless you stop the bike from capsizing...

·
Registered
357 Posts
The mirrors should be designed to break off rather than causing further damage at the mounting point or could some type of mounting hardware be used to shear upon impact?

·
Registered
853 Posts
The mirrors should be designed to break off rather than causing further damage at the mounting point or could some type of mounting hardware be used to shear upon impact?
The damage doesn't come from mirrors, they merely getting scraped. The problem is in the lateral force of impact transferred to the upper fairing. Rolling bike would still break the mirror frame even without the mirrors. Honestly the fact that such expensive bike was designed as incapable of taking a zero speed tip over without major damage pisses me off. Few pounds of weight saved by swapping the steel frame for aluminum makes no difference in anyone's books, and Gen I and II did not have this problem.

·
Registered
793 Posts
^ +1 with all the previous Bernie. Bummer!

Hope you get it all sorted soon.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Got an e-mail this morning, my parts from the USA have been shipped and are on their way. :D These include the mirror and cast aluminium assembly
(called a STAY). The fairing side panel and pannier lid will be repaired and re-painted here.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
"What about England?? Well, they don't provide part numbers at all, and their dealer web sites must be run by monkeys."

I know the UK has a problem with cricket at the moment (so they tell me, I don't watch it/listen to it - sooner watch paint dry) but we can do Yammy part numbers:-

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/services/online-parts-catalogue/index.aspx

Apology please! :-D
OK, I do apologise, with one reservation. There are no part numbers for the saddle bags. I had a look at my search history in Google, and I did find that web site, but I can't remember why I didn't find the parts list, perhaps I was too impatient, I had been searching for hours.

The USA site does provide numbers for the saddle bags, but not for the chrome bump strip in the middle of the lid. This is a bolt on strip and should have a part number, but it doesn't. To get one, I would have to buy an entire lid, which cost's $500.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Glad you're okay and your bike is on its way to being so, too.

Are there any "lessons learned" from the event that we might learn from instead of repeating them ourselves?
Well my lesson was this. After a hard day at work, when you are riding home in the blazing hot sun, and some dick in front of you decides that he is going to drive at 35 Kph, when the posted speed limit is 80 Kph, thus trapping a whole convoy of cars behind him, DON"T LOSE YOUR TEMPER, it could cost you thousands of dollars. :p

The other lesson is, Gen 3 FJR mirror mounts break very easily. I don't know what the solution to that is. :confused:

·
Registered
571 Posts
The USA site does provide numbers for the saddle bags, but not for the chrome bump strip in the middle of the lid. This is a bolt on strip and should have a part number, but it doesn't. To get one, I would have to buy an entire lid, which cost's $500.
Wouldn't the chrome strip be the same from the older model years bags? It sure looks like it's the same thing... I just did a quick look and these are the U.S. part numbers being shown 2004 through 2012 for the chrome saddlebag strip left and right and the logo insert and I can't imagine why it's not the same thing for the '13 and '14...

Lid, Protector (Right) - 5JW-W9346-0R-00

Lid, Protector (Left) - 5JW-W9346-0L-00

Yamaha Logo - 2 needed - 5JW-W9345-00-00

Edited to add: http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/#/c/yamaha_motorcycle/parts That's where I got the part numbers, search previous years, see if you think it's the same, it sure does look like it is!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
To my delight, the parts which I ordered from the USA have just arrived.
Man, the cast aluminium "Stay" is a complex piece of work, and so fragile,
I'm sure that if I happened to drop it on the floor, bits would break off.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to start fitting it until after Christmas,
as I have been roped into going down to Margaret River for a family
holiday.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You have got to be kidding me... :roll:

I studied engineering and I can tell you, that was designed by an engineer because it fulfills two of the necessary requirements:

The failure will not appear until a unit has passed final inspection

The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman

I sure do hope the aftermarket comes up with a work-around for that delicate piece of built-in obsolescence...

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
And to think, the whole of the front of the fairing hangs on that thing, the mirrors, headlights, instruments, wind screen, and lots of ancillary electronic units and wiring. :eek:

21 - 40 of 63 Posts