FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sad to report that, in an act of unbelievable stupidity, bad temper, and arrogance on my part, the details of which I am too embarrassed to reveal here, I crashed my beautiful, brand new, 2014 FJR.

Fortunately, I was only doing about 20 Kph when I hit the ground on the left side of the bike, and I had fitted the Oggy Knobs (crash bobbins) off my old bike. As a result, the damage to the bike is mainly cosmetic, though it is going to take a lot of time and money to repair, and I sustained almost no injury at all, apart from a sore back from picking up a 300 Kg motorcycle by myself. The left pannier lid and side fairing panel are a bit scraped, but repairable, and the engine case is almost untouched.

The main damage was caused by the mirror, and poor design of the new bike. On the old Gen2 bike, the front fairing, lights, mirrors, and instruments are supported by a big, cow horn shaped, steel strut inside the fairing. On the new Gen3 bike, the steel strut is replaced by a cast aluminium assembly which is very brittle. During the crash, the mirror hit the ground, and although it folded back as designed, the mirror mounting inside the fairing, snapped off.

To replace the cast aluminium assembly, I am going to have to dismantle the entire fairing, screen, lights, and instrument cluster. It's going to take days of work.

A very hot summer is rolling in here, we are already getting +40C temperatures, and my garage is far too hot to do a job like this, so I have moved the bike into my gym which has good lighting, air con, and close proximity to the beer fridge. I doubt that I am going to finish this job until the new year, especially as the Christmas break is going interfere with getting parts and jobs done. Here are a few pics to keep you amused.

BIKE IN THE GYM

BIKE IN THE GYM

MIRROR WITH BROKEN MOUNT

BROKEN MOUNT WAS HERE (INSIDE BOX)

RIGHT MIRROR UNBROKEN

·
Registered
65 Posts
That sucks,:( glad you are ok.

I hope you her get back on the road soon.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yikes. At least you can get it fixed and continue riding. My baby is stored away in this frozen Tundra we live in. - 14 degrees c and snowy. Best of luck with repairs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Glad you are okay and that the circumstances leading to your crash didn't turn out worse. You can't change the past so don't beat yourself up too badly. When I screw up I try to figure out what factors were in my control and think about what I should do next time.

My wife and I went to Perth in May and traveled up and down the coast, stayed at the Rendezvous Grand on the ocean in Scarborough. You live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, I would have liked to have ridden the road along the coast south of Perth.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My heart goes out to you. Seeing the pictures of your new bike some what naked and vulnerable, brings back memories of a time I crashed my then new, 2 month old black 83 Venture in a similar arrogant fashion. After 2 weeks repairing my bike, the experience helped me be a better and wiser rider. Glad your OK !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Purchased my 2013 this past August and snapped the same mirror support bracket 3 days later. Outright stupidity on my part. This is my first bike with a center stand and I parked it on the lawn in my back yard. It rained all night and when I looked out in the morning the bike was on its side. I didn't totally strip the bike like you did but it took me 10 hours to remove re-install the new bracket and completely re-assemble the bike after waiting 14 days for the part to arrive. Wasn't particularly easy.
Bike stored in Florida, can't wait to get away from this snow and get riding.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think we are going to hear a lot more about broken mirror mounts in the future. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'm sad to report that, in an act of unbelievable stupidity, bad temper, and arrogance on my part, the details of which I am too embarrassed to reveal here, I crashed my beautiful, brand new, 2014 FJR.
Bernie - sorry to hear this! Hurt pride and wallet aside I hope you'll put it back together rather sooner than later. This is the same damage as on my bike, and the only problem with that dumb aluminum mirror frame is that it's b/ordered, at least in US. In terms of labor my Yamaha dealer surprised me by saying that the entire job should not take more than a few hours, which completely demotivated me to do the job myself. Why don't you check with your dealer, they must be going by the same Yamaha book regardless of the country, and you may be able to get on the road on the same day instead of turning this into a long and tough project....

·
Registered
853 Posts
I think we are going to hear a lot more about broken mirror mounts in the future. :rolleyes:
Is that an opportunity for aftermarket or what? I'd rather replace the aluminum frame with a third-party steel and bendable, and I don't care if it weights 5 more pounds, I only care that next time I'll hit it with a hammer and put it right back. Where is Ryan and MC Enterprise?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wonder if you Americans realize how lucky you are when it comes to buying bikes, parts, and accessories. Your web sites and dealers are wonderful.

I didn't even try to order parts for my bike here in Australia, because I already know they wouldn't have them in stock, they would take at least 3 months to get them, and they would cost at least 4 times as much. Also, they don't provide access to part numbers on the Aussie web sites. If I went down to my local dealer and asked for part numbers, they wouldn't give them to me because they already know I would then order the parts on the net.

On the USA Yamaha corporate web site however, I was able to find 2014 part numbers and prices for all the parts that I wanted, then I was able to find dozens of dealers who could ship me the parts at prices that are usually up to a hundred dollars less than the list price. There was one fly in the ointment however, Yam USA has not imported the black 2014 FJR, therefore they do not provide part numbers for anything painted black, bother.:confused:

Then I thought AHA, I know Yam Canada has imported black FJR's, so I had a look at their web site, and sure enough, they also provide part numbers, but only up to 2009. WTF, have they been asleep for the last 4 years, or what. :confused:

What about England?? Well, they don't provide part numbers at all, and their dealer web sites must be run by monkeys. :confused:

Last chance, Europe. It looked for a time as if I might have some luck there, but now I was struggling with German, French, Spanish, Italian, Uzbek, and somewhere that even Google hadn't heard off. :confused:

Life can be so frustrating sometimes. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
789 Posts
That sucks. Hope the repairs are less expensive and quicker than you hope!

·
Registered
853 Posts
I didn't even try to order parts for my bike here in Australia, because I already know they wouldn't have them in stock, they would take at least 3 months to get them, and they would cost at least 4 times as much. Also, they don't provide access to part numbers on the Aussie web sites. If I went down to my local dealer and asked for part numbers, they wouldn't give them to me because they already know I would then order the parts on the net.
Holly crap! Looks like you need to buddy up with some good painter, and perhaps aluminum welder, and try to repair what can be repaired...

·
Registered
462 Posts
The mirror issue is the one thing that I'm trying to figure out so far as drop protection goes. A small plastic "skid" can be fitted on the upper fairings to protect them, but the mirrors take a lot more impact energy than I originally thought since they don't hinge away fully causing them to "dig in" and upend the bike. Short stalked mirrors and fairing skids would work, but you'd sacrifice visibility and clean looks. I'm optimistic that I'll figure it out eventually, though.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Mirror block off plates are one solution, I use them on my R1 along with bar end mirrors, I've pondered trying to see what would fit the Gen III FJR and remove the stock mirrors completely and go to bar end mirrors, they're much easier to replace... :mrgreen: I'm sure a block off plate is out there that would properly fit a Gen III, I need to do some measuring...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts