Fjrowners.com banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Skidwai, after a thousand or so miles the seat will settle down about 1/2" or more and make it easier to reach the ground. After a few hundred mile days, you will come to love the seat.

I am sending mine in in Jan 2021 to have it rebuilt.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Finally, Got my Russell seat last week and took it out for a spin both yesterday and today. Initial impression---Not good for stop and go traffic as I am just about touching my toes to the ground as this seems to have raised me up by about an inch or so. So, everytime I put my feet down, the seat wings dig into my thighs. However, when I am riding, it sure feels comfortable. Haven't done a hour long ride on it yet so I don't know how that would feel. In any case, Chicago weather is going to start getting ugly starting tomorrow morning, so I don't see myself riding it for many weeks and will have to wait till spring to get a taste of my new investment.
I've got a tale of two Russells - one I bought and one I just couldn't stand. Before I bought my FJR I test rode a BMW RT with a Russell. The wings were more "mid seat". While riding it was fine, but every time I came to a stop and stood up, the wings would cut into my thighs. Very annoying. When I test rode the FJR that I eventually bought, the wings were more rearward. No issues at stops.

Yes, it's slightly taller than stock and that's a bit of an issue, but the best thing that you can say about the Russell is that I never think about it on long rides.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
On the Russell don’t know if you can request that they cut the wings Angle back a bit to give you an easier reach to the ground & not hit the back of your legs, just a thought. Is the “sport” seat more cut back by chance ?

Ray, any idea of the price range that are on the Addcox seats ? I realize it depends on what you order but his website has no pricing that I could find. His seats look nice and could be an option.

I will add that I am quite happy with my Seth Laam and Seth has been very responsive to any of my questions or concerns, great guy !

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Finally, Got my Russell seat last week and took it out for a spin both yesterday and today. Initial impression---Not good for stop and go traffic as I am just about touching my toes to the ground as this seems to have raised me up by about an inch or so. So, everytime I put my feet down, the seat wings dig into my thighs. However, when I am riding, it sure feels comfortable. Haven't done a hour long ride on it yet so I don't know how that would feel. In any case, Chicago weather is going to start getting ugly starting tomorrow morning, so I don't see myself riding it for many weeks and will have to wait till spring to get a taste of my new investment.
You have the answer within your grasp. Comfort is when the wheels are rolling. Reach when stopped is an afterthought since stopping isn't riding. 0:)

Learn to never park where you have to back up. Learn to get 1 foot down (which MSF teaches everyone already). Balance and control are what all heavier bikes are about. Brute force can hurt when trying to stop a nearly 700# bike once it's past the point of no return. Scooch forward when stopping to get up on the nose of the saddle to make use of the cutouts they designed specifically for that.

Look at some videos of basic dirt riding tips. Those are great because dirt bikes are all tall and teach skills that are useful on the street too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You have the answer within your grasp. Comfort is when the wheels are rolling. Reach when stopped is an afterthought since stopping isn't riding. 0:)

Learn to never park where you have to back up. Learn to get 1 foot down (which MSF teaches everyone already). Balance and control are what all heavier bikes are about. Brute force can hurt when trying to stop a nearly 700# bike once it's past the point of no return. Scooch forward when stopping to get up on the nose of the saddle to make use of the cutouts they designed specifically for that.

Look at some videos of basic dirt riding tips. Those are great because dirt bikes are all tall and teach skills that are useful on the street too.
Bounce--- Awesome advise... I certainly need to work on the things you've mentioned. Having been riding a vtx for the last 15 years wherein I had both my feet flat on the ground.. to now riding an fjr tippy-toed at traffic lights is a bit unnerving..

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
BTDT. Same for me. I just bias my butt toward the shifter foot on the ground and keep the other foot on the brake pedal like they teach newbies.

Once again, fit of a custom vs ANY off-the-shelf variation is always going to be a greater chance of a good fit on a custom build where the OtS versions (including OEM) are built to an "average" that most Americans don't fit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
3 rd ride on my comfort seat <300.00$ it gives you more contact area , so far way better than stock. It must be memory foam.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts