Fjrowners.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Pizza joint is closed on Mondays. Must be tomorrow or Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR A Model
7,898 Posts
Think it's gonna be a little too chilly for me since I'd have to be out pretty early to get out your way. 'Preciate the invite tho, maybe we can do something later in the year when my tush won't freeze!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dang it, I keep on forgetting to go to this section and when I do I just miss the rides. How was the ride? South Carolina has fun roads in the upstate. I like Rt.28 going through Walhalla.

Reactions: 2014oldred

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR A Model
7,898 Posts
Dang it, I keep on forgetting to go to this section and when I do I just miss the rides. How was the ride? South Carolina has fun roads in the upstate. I like Rt.28 going through Walhalla.
Try this-

click on New Posts. Threads that have posts you haven't seen before will be listed, regardless of section.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sometimes you just gotta ride. We can get in some good mountain rides in January but recent weather would have meant tip-toeing around, worrying about salt, sand and ice patches. So we went south, searching for something a little different.

My favorite pizza place closed down a few years ago. The pies there got to the table hotter than anywhere else I've ever eaten.

Aiken SC and horses have a little thing going on. There are streets in quirky downtown Aiken that are still unpaved because dirt is better for horses. Searching Aiken eats online we found this little pizza place that bragged on their 900 degree ovens.

So to Aiken, we're off. On a route that pinballed past trees, cows, dead mills and towns too small for a WalMart. Dollar General country.

We dismounted in Ninety Six SC and walked about the remains of the Loyalists earthen star fort from the Revolutionary War. We can add that to previously visited Revolutionary War sites Musgrove Mill, Blackstock Battelfield, Kings Mountain and Cowpens. In praise of electric riding gear "let's get back on the bikes so we can warm up".

In Aiken we rode around the polo fields and racetracks and then ate a very good pizza. The search for my new favorite will continue.

Headed back north we crisscrossed the lakes on the SC GA border then circled the town square in Abbeville after this old church caught my eye.

Pretty good ride on any day. Great ride in January.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cool! I spent a bunch of time in Aiken while working near there. Wish I had had an MC to tour on though - beautiful part of the world.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts