FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year, I am considering making a trip to my sister's place down in Portimao - not quite the furthest South in Portugal you can go, but pretty close... :shock:

So, my question is - anybody have any ideas for a route down to Portimao from Poitiers? I reckon it will take me two days...

Thanks in advance,

Iain

·
Registered
144 Posts
It depends on what you want to see or if you just want the fastest way; in this case in Portugal is quite simple: you enter in Portugal through Vilar Formoso and then take the A23 highway for about 200 km till it joins the A1 (highway Lisbon - Porto); few kilometers southway you'll find a sign with the A2 direction; just take it and.. all the way down till the Algarve (and Portimao).

An alternative: instead of taking the A2 immediatly you can ride a bit longer on the A1 and cross "Vasco da Gama" bridge just at the entrance of Lisbon (nicer view); then you'll find the signs again with the A2.

An advice: DON'T cross center Spain between 12 am and 5 pm: in Summer is too hot (+40 degrees centigrade).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Liz / Miguel ,

Thanks for that... I can see the route better now.

I'll probably be travelling end August beginning September, rather than at the height of the Summer, but the warning abut the temperatues is most welcome.

Liz, any chance you could PM me the details of the parador?

Iain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Too hot middle of Spain

Agree fully with previous author. We would get up and be gone by 0700 with the aim of stopping / finding hotel and a pool by 1300 hrs. I regularly head down to the costa's in Southern Spain and it is HOT from June till end of September. Paradors are the dogs dangley bits, and not really that expensive. Easily found on Google :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
miguel21op said:
...southway you'll find a sign with the A2 direction; just take it and.. all the way down till the Algarve (and Portimao).
in the end of A2, you turn Right to Portimao (40km)... This road, you can stop to see Albufeira (1km, most touristic city in Algarve), Carvoeiro (35km, you must exit in Lagoa... this is one little village, very typical, with fishermans), and finnally you have the Portimao's exit...

Be carefull with police radar's... and sometimes, they use helicopters.

Max. 120km/h

1 - 7 of 7 Posts