FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running Rotella T in all my cars and trucks for years with no problems, I just got a MC after 30+ years of not ridding and had planded on useing Rotella also. Stoped by Napa to get a filter for the FJR and in talking to the sales guy he said that class 300? oils...Rotella ect would eat the bearings of a gas motor...WTF???This is news to me. What do you'all think of this ? I have read all the threads.

Cary

·
Registered
632 Posts
You lost me at the 5th word.

Why would you add anything to modern engines? They are built to last as they are.

·
Registered
949 Posts
The synthetics are proven, particularly by heavy transport. There is a wealth of long term information available on this issue...... too much to ignore.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Ducati specifically indicates the Rotella synthetic at oil changes.

:?

Sounds like pure BRAVO SIERRA.

:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alan sh said:
You lost me at the 5th word.

Why would you add anything to modern engines? They are built to last as they are.
:roll: Hello, sorry to be so technical. Thought everyone knew what oil was used for :p

Cary

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought it seemed crazy but never hurts to check. So useing std Rotella for the first few oil changes is OK and switch out to Syn at 4k miles?

Thanks, Cary

·
Registered
592 Posts
I use Rotella as well. I tried the synthetic in my Vmax but the transmission became notchy. I went back to standard Rotella and have had no problems since. I plan to use it on my FJR as well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I used Rotella on my third oil change, Golden Spectro on the fourth oil change and back to Rotella on the fifth oil change - after which my bike blew up. :|

I also talked to a guy that said he used Rotella for 30 years and his house and bike blew up.

The last guy had a friend that used Rotella for 10 years without a problem and would never use anything else. If I were you, I wouldn't go near this guys bike or in his house. :crylarf:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Or...God forbid you use the oil the manufacturer might think is a reasonable idea :shock: ?? Just out of curiosity...why do so many folks HAVE to use a lubrication product when they must feel the need to go on line and ask if it will be a detriment to the motorcycle?? Seems everybody can find their way to the dealer to have a major service issue taken care of. Why is it they cannot deem it appropriate to buy a case of oil and a few filters at the same time?? Spent a 5 digit amount for a bike and quibble over a dollar or two for oil you know will do right by your motor?? I guess I don't get it.

Don't like the dealer?? OK...I remember a lot of sources that do a ton of business selling OEM goods at prices lots less than the local Yamaha shop, if pricing is an issue.

No...I don't work for Yamaha or a subsidiary, but if ANY part goes south as a result of some oil/filter issue I won't have a bunch to fret over.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm with you, Acme! Used Yamalube in both my FJR's and neither one of them ticked or blew up or had trouble shifting. It was affordable and gave me a good excuse to buy something from the dealer who made me a great deal when I bought each of the bikes.

I hear guys talk about how synthetics will make their bike last forever, then the next year when the new models come out, they trade their bike! Others seem to think gas mileage increases... so what?!!! Is that really an issue for a 125hp bike that gets 40+mpg? Oh, the synthetics give you more speed? What, 150mph isn't fast enough? Go buy a 'Busa. I don't get it either, Acme. Just what do these guys think they are improving on that justifies spending 2 or 3 times as much on oil?

Interesting that riders want a bike they can just put gas in and ride, but Yamaha gives them one and they start doubting Y's engineering abilities and want to make it a "better" machine. Some can't even believe that their FJR will run on the recommended 87 octane gas and feel compelled to fill up with Premium grades. "I spent more money, it must be better for my bike!" Gimme a friggin' break!

And one more thing; how gullible would you have to be to believe that an oil could eat gas motor bearings without eating everything else it touches? Believe half of what you read, 10% of what you hear, and less than 1% of what a NAPA sales guy tells you. :roll:

What's that nurse? Oh yes, of course, medication time. No, no, in the left cheek this time, please.
Gotta go.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
amain said:
Interesting that riders want a bike they can just put gas in and ride, but Yamaha gives them one and they start doubting Y's engineering abilities and want to make it a "better" machine.
Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

I put Yam oils in mine and ride, ride, ride. We got one thread where the guy thinks the shaft drive oil is too expensive, we got another where the guy wants to put in something synthetic, etc. etc.

The one thread I have NEVER seen (and probably never will) is the one where the guy uses reasonably good oil and filters, changes them occasionally, but his engine ground itself to bits anyway.

Please, make the oil threads stop......

·
Registered
74 Posts
@ 20 valves +1

@liquid. NO, NO, NO you'll open the floodgates of stupid land again! :roll: :wink:

·
Registered
141 Posts
amain said:
Interesting that riders want a bike they can just put gas in and ride, but Yamaha gives them one and they start doubting Y's engineering abilities and want to make it a "better" machine.
That's cause Yammie doesn't. What Yammie does is always a balance between technical objective, market, price and profit margin. If Yammie knows so well, why do most owners change their suspension to aftermarket stuff? If Yammie knows so well, why can you barely find a FJR with a stock screen? If Yammie knows so well, why is a PCIII such a worthwhile upgrade to make it run properly? And on and on.

Just because Yammie gives you a minimum spec your oil should comply to, does not mean there isn't anything out there that does a better job.

If you don't like these threads, ignore em instead of replying to them. If enough people do so, a thread quickly drops down to where it's no longer visible on the first page. Now you are not only irritating yourself by reading it, you are also bumping it right to the top of the list to draw more attention to it.

If there are others that do like to discuss something like oil, let em. AFAIK there is something like freedom of speech. If people like discussing oil, who is anyone else to say it should stop because it's dumb threads?

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
richie said:
@liquid. NO, NO, NO you'll open the floodgates of stupid land again! :roll: :wink:
Yeah, but should I use premium fuel? :shock:

(since this thread is trashed anyway :wink:)

:)

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I use synthetic oil with Michelin tires but only with a Cee Bailey screen and an aftermarket seat. If I change to the the Rifle screen, I use Pirelli tires, which work best with mineral based oil, which of course requires premium fuel and a PCIII. Fortunately, I am currently running Bridgestone 020's which allows me to use Yamalube and the stock screen and seat and stock lube in the differential. Whew!

Don't even ask about Dunlops.....

1 - 20 of 47 Posts