FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What an incredible weekend!

The weather was perfect, the track was perfect, the corner workers (15, I think) were rock solid... and Motorcyclist Magazine was there for a photo shoot of some new bikes, and Kevin Schwantz was there, mostly for photos.

On some of the laps with KS, they must've been having him pose, because sometimes he was riding obscenely fast, and other times he was going pretty slowly. I almost wet my pants when I passed him on the brakes in one session. Just a pretend thrill, but nonetheless, quite a thrill.

Mitch Boehm and an older moto-journo guy were out doing their best in a few of the sessions, and I was proud that I could easily dispatch both of them. (I thought ALL moto-journos would be track gods, guess not, cause I sure am not)

It was also nice to have KS and the journos show up at the impromptu chapel service during lunch hour on Sunday. Sayin' a prayer or two next to 'the champ' was a pretty sweet experience for me as well.

There were lots of crashes on Saturday... mostly just scratched plastic and scuffed leathers... except for one off turn2 with an unconscious rider. I imagine he's okay, but it was the worst I've ever seen at a track day.

Hopefully, I can figure out how to post a picture, afterwhile.

I - I was on the R1. I don't know if I'll do a track day on the ST4, even if it's capable enough.
V

The R1 is a brilliant machine on a racetrack, my corner speeds need to improve greatly, but still trapping 130 - 140mph at three different places on the track. That motor is like 'power of God' type stuff. :D

:)

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup - he didn't miss it... I edited it in. (trying to keep my training wheels) Now I'm trying a picture (with no luck so far)

Here:

Finally!

Woo, posting that is kinda painful... but I think I can figure why. .

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
KS is a great guy. I love it that you're passing the journos. I too thought those guys would at least be top class club racer fast. Now, if CW's Don Canet was there, you may not have passed him. I hear that guy is VERY fast and is by far the class of the journo wannabes. Regardless, I am so jealous. I would love to go round with KS, the only GP rider ever to have his number retired. Without a doubt, a great day, YOU DOG.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
And your boy just happens to be getting those R1LE's......

I bet we could find some 05 R6's cheap!

·
Registered
15 Posts
What times were you turning on the R1 ? I was doing pretty consistant 1:46's last year on the '04 . It was my 1st sportbike and first time riding the tracks . Too much power , always wanting to wheelie or spinup the rear ! I bought a 2000 F4 to use this year and picked up my cornerspeed considerably :)

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wasn't timing my laps... just out there having fun. I have plenty of competition in my life, away from motorcycling.

There was only one guy in the intermediate class, besides the advanced guys in yellow shirts, I had trouble hanging with.

I'm still a pretty timid passer, especially with the unpredictable behavior of a lot of riders... and my biggest challenge is guys on liter bikes that park in the corner, blocking the good line with a crappy line, and then 'drag race' to the next one. It seemed like every three sessions I'd be stuck behind these types a lot. My two biggest 'oh-shit moments' were slamming on the brakes to stay behind people through T1, not knowing what kind of line they would pick through there.

People talk about the R1 being too powerful, but I've never felt that way... and Barber is the most wide-open track I'm familiar with. The front wheel will come up in three gears, but nothing a little extra smoothness on the throttle won't handle. I only had one rear wheel spin-up and step-out, but that was at the exit of the horseshoe at T4-T5 when I failed to give the tires a lap to warm up... nothing a little dirt riding wouldn't handle.

Rydfree, I've heard all kinds of people that agreed with you, saying that a good 600 track bike will smack any liter bike at the track (unless you're Mat Mladin) ... and I believe it.

I love riding at the track, but I'd rather stay on street tires and not mess with tire warmers. It's great fun, but I try to keep it play, and not work.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now, I wouldn't call Boehm and Carruthers moto stars, and they weren't bragging about track skills either. ;)

They were VERY nice guys, though. I was impressed by how 'regular-joe' and 'just hanging out with other riders' they were.

As 20v said above, I imagine Don Canet and the SportRider journos would be wayyyyy out of my league.

The picture below to prove I didn't steal from the track photographer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Liquidsilver said:
I wasn't timing my laps... just out there having fun. I have plenty of competition in my life, away from motorcycling.

There was only one guy in the intermediate class, besides the advanced guys in yellow shirts, I had trouble hanging with.

I'm still a pretty timid passer, especially with the unpredictable behavior of a lot of riders... and my biggest challenge is guys on liter bikes that park in the corner, blocking the good line with a crappy line, and then 'drag race' to the next one. It seemed like every three sessions I'd be stuck behind these types a lot. My two biggest 'oh-shit moments' were slamming on the brakes to stay behind people through T1, not knowing what kind of line they would pick through there.

People talk about the R1 being too powerful, but I've never felt that way... and Barber is the most wide-open track I'm familiar with. The front wheel will come up in three gears, but nothing a little extra smoothness on the throttle won't handle. I only had one rear wheel spin-up and step-out, but that was at the exit of the horseshoe at T4-T5 when I failed to give the tires a lap to warm up... nothing a little dirt riding wouldn't handle.

Rydfree, I've heard all kinds of people that agreed with you, saying that a good 600 track bike will smack any liter bike at the track (unless you're Mat Mladin) ... and I believe it.

I love riding at the track, but I'd rather stay on street tires and not mess with tire warmers. It's great fun, but I try to keep it play, and not work.

Maybe we'll meet you at a trackday this year . You are doing Barber again right ? Silly question I know :) If you ever ride that track once you're hooked .

I may be on the R1 again this year but the 600 is great . The 1st time I ever rode the 600 I was 3 seconds a lap faster than I had gone on the R1 . It will be interesting to see how I adapt to getting on the R1 again after a year with the 600 ( it's a 2000 model 600 too ) A few have told me I'll be faster but I know I'll have to get used to babying the throttle again . You can hammer on the 600 through a turn when you would be wheeling out to the cornerworker stand on the R1 , LOL . I was on Dunlop 207 rr street tires when I tracked the R1 also :)

Here are a few pics of my trackbikes . The R1 is at the bottom from 2004 .
Definitly fun . I've had the FJR at Barber but only about 75 mph during the parade laps . We missed that trackday by a week or so that you attended :(

http://www.fantasiesonwheels.com/images/starsoveralaba/DSR.htm
[/url]

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
John the latest issue of Motorcyclist has the article written about the Barber track day you were at. I looked for you i the pics, there's about a 10 page spread, but didn't see you. Evidently the motojournalist' all brought what they felt like would be their favorite track bike, sadly not a Yamaha in the lot. But, it was a great article.

I may have some fun news for you tomorrow.

glenn

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to go get a copy!

Oh, you didn't see me? I must've been moving too fast for the camera. ;)

Fun news? HmmmMMmmmm... :D

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well Glenn, keep your dobber up, buddy... we are where we are for a reason... more joy will follow. A good friend sent me a message recently, about staying positive. It meant a lot. :wink: (when are we goin' dirt ridin'?!?!?)

- -

Number2, not sure about how that works... after the first track day in which my knee kissed down, I haven't noticed them down since, but the pucks are getting squared off somehow. :?:

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Amain, did you get the strom? Kieth really likes his.

Well here's the story. 20 valves paid me a visit Sunday on his new R1 LE and gave me the bug real bad. After some discussion with the boss I was cleared to go get a 50th anniversary R6 for TRACK USE ONLY. I was extatic. Here I thought I'd be doing some track days with all my buddies. Well the next day I'm getting ready to call Chan(my dealer) and tell him I want the 1st yellow R6 that comes in. But, the phone rings and Marla is on the other end saying we have a little problem. So until some unforseen financial issues get resolved I'm still bikeless. Hopefully this will lead to a new FJR in the future as well but I'm taking baby steps with her. I assured her I couldn't get hurt on the track as easy as the street and she believed me. Good Girl.

You are right John, everything is as it is for a reason. I believe that.

Glenn

1 - 20 of 37 Posts