FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Pacific Northwest, there is a fantastic ride to the top of the world. Here is a picture taken from the Road to the Sun Highway in the summer of '04. Feel free to post yours if you have experienced this one of a kind road.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I did that road on my FJR in Sept 2002. It's very beautiful, though the traffic made the ride a procession. I really enjoyed seeing the refurbished 30's Ford tour buses as well. I took a picture at that exact spot, though, like so many western mountain rides, there's a post card shot around every bend. Nice picture. IIRC, it's called the "Going to the Sun Highway" in Galcier National Park in Montana.

·
Registered
72 Posts
wow doc. I have to make a trip out of that. Sounds like a summer trip planned. Now I have to debate WFO or Glacier? Hmmmmmmm. :roll:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@worldbound4now do both man, catch Reno on your way north to Glacier, there will likely be a gaggle going north after the meet.
Cheers
John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Going to the sun" highway in Glacier

I have driven this great road a number of times, on bikes (H3, Z1B) and in cars (280ZX), etc. in the past and loved it. If, howevere, you get in a line of traffic, including tour buses, which is most of the time now, you will only get to enjoy the scenery when you pull off. There are other roads in Glacier and in the Canadian Rockies, equally as pretty and far less travelled. B.C. has some of the finest rides I've had the good fortune of enjoying at speed and with little traffic. I now live in Oregon and we also have some very fine windy roads with great scenery, but with more traffic.
Anyway, if you ever get a chance to do the "Going to the Sun" road, try to time it with light traffic.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Going to the sun highway has been on our list for a couple of years now.
How would we time it for the best traffic conditions though?
Methinks that would be a tough one to figure out -- no?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rogdeb
I would try to plan a trip for early (May - June) or late in the season (Sept) to avoid the family vacationers and try to get going first thing in the AM. You will want to go both directions from start to finish. East to West in the AM to keep the sun behind you as much as possible. Hope you can make it.
We spent a week in the Nelson, BC area in Sept and had fabulous rides every day. We trailered the bike so I could golf every morning and we could ride every afternoon. Plenty of great courses in the area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My first ride on this highway was on my old (1971?) R50/5 BMW. My brother was with me, "touring" on his brand-new 1978 Suzuki 400 twin complete with soft luggage and a windshield.

Not recommended on an FJR, but if you have something a little more gravel friendly, there is an amazing network of fire roads leading to pristine lakes, campsites, scenic views etc. We spent a whole day tearing up those gravel roads.

I've ridden the Going to the Sun Road many times since, including on the FJR, but never had more fun than that first trip.

The road can be closed for the season as early as mid-September if early snows come, and they sometimes don't open it until June. The road is so tight that it isn't practical for snow clearing equipment, so they just let God close the road for the season when he's ready!

Concur with the suggested ride times but be extremely alert for forest rats at dawn and dusk. My brother actually rode under a muley that jumped off of the high side of the road. Its rear hoof ticked the top of his helmet as it jumped over him! No damage except the self-explanatory change of undershorts, and a couple of brewskies to decompress when we stopped for the night in St. Mary's. Dave

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Roger if you are planning a trip in May or June let me know I will try to meet you two and we could head north to #3 in Canada and catch up with Kasey then head back to the coast on #3 thru' Manning Park, a very sweet ride. I will lead with the radar, just to be kind.

·
Registered
170 Posts
John,
If our planning goes as we want, you will be the first to know -- thank you kindly.
Be great to hook up with you guys again :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
There's only one way to do the Going to the Sun Highway... be the first one on it. I made my run in July of 05 at 6am... still a bit cool, but not a car in sight!

Can't wait to do it again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
rocketdoc said:
In the Pacific Northwest, there is a fantastic ride to the top of the world. Here is a picture taken from the Road to the Sun Highway in the summer of '04. Feel free to post yours if you have experienced this one of a kind road.
Sorry guys, Glacier National Park is not in the "Pacific" Northwest. Just the Northwest.

We are 600 miles from the Pacific. We are, however, in the "Great" Northwest! :mrgreen:

I live 110 miles south of the park and it's in my sales territory. I also have an office in Cody, WY. I have many clients who live and work in and around the parks. I'm in the Glacier and Yellowstone every month, and I ride over the Beartooth highway many times every summer. Sorry, but someone has got to check the roads out on a regular basis for you tourists! :wink:

This photo is of what awaits you on the East Side of the Going to the Sun Highway. It's St. Mary's lake and Many Glaciers Lodge in the backgound.

Just after we took this photo a mother Grizzly and 3 (three) young cubs came out of the brush fairly close to us! That is when you wish your bike was a CAGE! That was 5 years ago and my leathers are just now getting to smell like leather again, just a little discoloration now. :crylarf:

CK

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was there a few weeks ago. Yes, getting an early start, no later than 6:30 AM, is the way to avoid the parade and ride at your own pace. It's a beautiful ride.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Clark Kent said:
rocketdoc said:
Sorry guys, Glacier National Park is not in the "Pacific" Northwest. Just the Northwest.

We are 600 miles from the Pacific. We are, however, in the "Great" Northwest! :mrgreen:
I don't know... when I look at a map and see the coast line from Anchorage to San Diego, Glacier National Park doesn't seem like it's in the Northwest, more like Centralwest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ride over the Beartooth highway many times every summer. Sorry, but someone has got to check the roads out on a regular basis for you tourists!

Clark, You are a lucky man. I have ridden over the Beartooth pass only twice in 5 years and enjoyed it each time. It was on the way home from the Sturgis, SD rally in August. Very nice country around Cody and into Red Lodge, MT.

Larry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.