FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a vicious rumour that Liquidsilver has been doin thangs to that pore R1 LE that jest don't sound right. Not content to whip its ass in public he's now doin dirty thangs to it on a quiet country road........the man has no shame ! :twisted: (See "Electronic Shift Review")

I got a sudden flash of an image of the LE --- flat track / speedway style, sliding all crossed up through the corners on a gravel road....not respect !

If you're up for a tale from a mispent youth here's another flashback :

Liquid's LE / dirt escapades remind me of a regular feature of the Rockhampton speedway during the early 1970's..... big fast 1/4 mile oval dirt track surrounded by heavy timber plank fence(....real men hit the boards an it don't hurt at all.) Now a lot of the serious spectators who liked the authentic speedway tang of methanol and castor oil mixed with chunks of decomposed granite in their beers used to gather near the short back straight just before Suicide Bend. By the end of the nights racing these boys were usually seriously bent by whatever means.....Zorba (the absorber) used to tie himself to the fence, stand on the benches and lean back on the rope so he could stay somewhere near vertical, drink and watch the racing. When he fell arse over head still tied to the fence he never rolled far and always found his place again easily ! (Cunning stunt that)

Crazy Syd was the guy who periodically provided the encore to the nights racing. This guy was a tall shabby bastard in ex army clothes with filthy long black hair, full beard and no front teeth except canines. He was a dead set looney, looked like a crazed sheep f*cker from the mountains in the Balkans and was certifiable with a skin full of demon drink. After the main crowd left and you'd be walking out of the track grounds via the dirt service road that ran around the outside of the track, you would hear this multi cyl bike being revved insanely coming from the "back straight boys" camp. Next would come Syd, no helmet, eyes and mouth wide open with only the canine teeth visible with the bike in 2nd or 3rd flat out and sideways round the sweeping dirt bend. I have this picture in my head of looking round the first time I saw this performance to an image of people running for cover off the track followed closely by Super Syd all crossed up, flat out and hangin on. For a drunken lunatic damn that boy could ride ! Never saw him come off, hit anyone or get off the throttle while there was clear track ahead of him.

The 60's and 70's were different days, seriously dangerous for some folks but definitely different.......flashbacks can be fun !

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Well, it's not really flat track style, and good sport rubber doesn't do 'sideways' well... but you CAN have pretty insane wheelspin in any gear.

I prefer to do the gravel road riding in the wintertime tho... the gravel is moist and doesn't kick up on the bike... and the trees are bare, so you can spot Bambi from a few extra feet (brakes don't work on gravel)

It's not too bad if you keep your momentum up, your weight on your pegs, a fairly gentle grip on the bars, and a fairly smooth wheel track to ride in.

:)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No disrespect intended - just a bent sense of humour. You can take the boy out of the dirt but you can't take the dirt out of the boy.

The track in the pics looks a lot "tighter" than I pictured / assumed with a lot of open loose gravel on the surface and short sight distances. The R1 particularly must be twitchy in this stuff. You could easily end up on your back if the bike catches a soft / skatey edge at low speed. The bikes are in pristine condition.....another dirty day at the office ! :D

·
Registered
405 Posts
I live on a dirt road. I think Vermont may have more dirt road than paved, but since the main dirt roads (I know, that sounds weird, but it's true) are so heavily traveled, once they dry out, they are smooth and grippy. Shoulders are a problem, and so is the dreaded 'mud season', when they all turn to chocolate pudding as the winter freeze melts. Rte 232 in VT is, however, the worst paved road I have ever been on. Any other contenders?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.