FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy.

I read somewhere here that people have put right angle valve stems on the tires of 2015 FJRs. So I went and asked my dealer to do that.

What I got was a reasonable one on the rear, but on the front, the mechanic said that the stem was too long to point at right angles to the tire because it would hit the caliper.

So I'm wondering what brand or type of right angle valve stems people have used that fit correctly on both the front and rear tires of a 2015 FJR?

Thanks all!

antler

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Just about any 90 degree stem will work. It may need to be rotated in the hole so that it does not touch anything when the wheel is spun. Instead of having it pointed at a 90 degree angle from the direction of travel, it may have to be closer to 45-60 degrees.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
You'll note that on Warpdrv's bike the valves he installed are starving the wheels for oxygen to the point that they turned blue. Do not let this happen to you. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just ordered a pair from Kurveygirl.com for $29.99 (with free shipping). Have ordered from this vendor previously for my ST1300 and pleased w/ the product.
(Kevin, thanks for the warning - I stayed away from the blue color)

·
Registered
560 Posts
You'll note that on Warpdrv's bike the valves he installed are starving the wheels for oxygen to the point that they turned blue. Do not let this happen to you. :rolleyes:
Hahaha Good one there.....

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,357 Posts
I use a 90* on the rear, pointing right. I tried one on the front but with dual discs I thought it worse than a straight one so I switched back.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Maybe you should have used a 270 degree valve stem on the front.

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
The aluminum ones are awesome. I put them on the fronts of everything.

THESE however... suck throughly, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
The aluminum ones are awesome. I put them on the fronts of everything.

THESE however... suck throughly, IMHO.
I would have to thoroughly agree. There's nothing to keep the metal from flexing the rubber. Every time you change speed, the deflection will change. I can't imagine that stem would last very long!

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
Yup. And they're a pain in the arse to put a chuck on... they just wuss out of the way.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Right angle valve stems

I'm coming from the Gold Wing world and we always switched out the rubber one for metal ones from a place called " shinopples". They are pricey if you just order 2, but I always ordered a dozen, that way with shipping, they would each cost about $3.50 and would sell off / share with friends. Excellent and no need to ever change them again. imho

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
I currently have right stems on my bike with no issues but after installing fob TPMS the front rim, now the stem hits the caliper. soooo now I'd like to install a t-valve stem....has anyone used a t-stem before on a 14'?

only place I've found that carry t-valve for bikes:
http://wingstuff.com/products/37222...essory-for-fobo-tpms?context=tire_valve_stems
I'm looking at these right now:

http://www.tpms.ca/T-VALVES.html

I assume we have 11.3mm holes in the rims?

Dan

·
Registered
243 Posts
yes 11.3 ..........I ordered from toms.ca first and cancel it.... the ones I ordered from wingstuff seem to have a better sealing construction (more rubber rings on the inside and out......but who really knows.

I'll let you know how it goes this weekend :grin2:

I'm looking at these right now:

http://www.tpms.ca/T-VALVES.html

I assume we have 11.3mm holes in the rims?

Dan

·
Registered
839 Posts
yes 11.3 ..........I ordered from toms.ca first and cancel it.... the ones I ordered from wingstuff seem to have a better sealing construction (more rubber rings on the inside and out......but who really knows.

I'll let you know how it goes this weekend :grin2:
Very cool, thanks! I just ordered a pair of the Hawkshead units. I need a new front tire so I want to install one of these "T" stems there and then figure out how to get one on the rear (since I just put a new tire on, I would have to have them dismount, install, remount and balance).

Dan

1 - 20 of 40 Posts