FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Rifle screen last year, aka "The barn door", and found I got fair bit of back pressure when the screen was fully up.

So with the help of a few picture from wilf (thanks 8)) I thought I'd have a go at adding a few holes... so

1). Screen on bench

2). Taped two bits of A4 paper together and fix in place with "W".
(I used original screws and nuts/washers but the plastic number plate screws would be better) I also put sellotape all around the edge of the template holes.

3). Draw line across, about centre of top fixing holes, plastic rulers bends nicely.

4). Mark about 100mm in

5). Use right angle to draw down from top line to 100mm mark

6). Tape a drill bit to pencil to get a line to follow the W outline (I had about 8 mm from point of pencil to drill edge)

7). Used 18m socket to round off the corners (Looks better and sharp corners are not good, weak point)

8). Marking out done

9). Carefully cut out, without cutting any fingers off

10) Now the fun bit (the Rifle screen is about 6 mm thick) turn screen over and from the back (Rider) side drill a line of small holes.

NOTE The holes were a bit close on this side, the other side I moved them in a few mm, helps give extra space for the grinding wheel. Means more to sand off thought !!

11). Use grinding disk to join holes and cut through to other side
(Watch out you don't go too close at the corners, use both hands to steady tool and make sure you have the chuck on the inside of the hole, just in case it touches the screen)

12). Cut through, note had to move inwards for the corners on this side

13). Turn screen back over (Front top most), can see template lines better.

14). Use round sander bit to tidy up the edges, again use both hands to steady tool.

15). Use fine wet&dry with some soapy water and a couple bits of wood, clean up the edge again. (used round dowel for corners)
Final results

Could use a metal polish for further smoothing off but I'm happy with the results.

Was it worth it, well a ride said YES !!!, no back pressure.

With the screen up, you can feel the wind hitting you, on the sides a bit above your legs, not a problem.
What happens when it rains, assume I might get a bit more water on me but I will get more from above, so I again, I don't see it a problem.

Hope this helps

Leigh

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Randy

Fitted D&D risers this weekend (Pics to follow) and have Alex's reflective strips to do when they come in (See Back to Black question) :lol:

It's not the fiddlin thats stopping me from riding, its the DIY and studying for 5 Electrical exams (2 are 10 hours long :cry: ) that's taking up my time.

Got to go to Shrewsbury in a couple of weeks so should get around 500-600 miles on the bike.

Leigh

·
Registered
113 Posts
ISD: that is a great job, although I did mine with a mitre saw and it is much easier, just use a corse blade so it dosen't clog up. but still a beautiful job. ride safe 8)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts