FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like to know if any one can ride for hrs go thru twisties and just push the bike to the limits and not get tired,i often enjoy riding myself because i enjoy the rush of practicing my limitation ,where other are just happy going one speed for hrs upon hrs, how boring any body out there feel like me................................................

·
Registered
372 Posts
I know how you feel FJRK9, I can usually contain myself on group rides, though they usually break into two groups, those that scoot ahead and those that hold back. Depends on the day. On long trips, I will often drone along at a set speed for hours on the slab, but when I can I will find a side road to explore and even out the tire wear, I will wick it up in the twisties :twisted: . The bike is such a pleasure to ride, it beckons the rider to explore it's potential. The perfect blend of sport and touring for me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Over the last 20 years i have done 90% of my riding alone because because no one wants to ride at my pace and thats on a harley lowrider Fjr on order for spring

·
Registered
59 Posts
obession

Did i mention my harley has a 100hp with 100 lb of torque top speed is only a 120 because of the four speed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Liquidsilver has no nervous system hence no pain receptors ( R1 Touring junkie ) he explains it as you do ....rode in extreme pain myself till it started raining (on the pig trail) no recollection of the pain after the downpour started....me thinks my riding mates are too slow to distract me...seen fast riders on harleys and slow ones on gixxers....cant bring myself to leave my wingman....never shoulda watched Top Gun damnit... :roll: never leave your wingman Mavrick

·
Registered
85 Posts
Re: obession

lrider said:
Did i mention my harley has a 100hp with 100 lb of torque top speed is only a 120 because of the four speed.
That's great. An Evo, (or shovel?) that makes that kind of power, is, well, pretty rare to say the least, and a very, very expensive build. :shock: I say evo or shovel re the 4 cogger. 5's are twinkies afaik.

Assuming you make and maintain that type of power on a built-up Evo, what did you do to the suspension and brakes and tires and frame to be able to outride your freinds as a Low Rider, is, well, not the best handling bike out there to be kind? I had an '03 FXDL, and bought it specificaly for its poor (very) handling since you can't go round corners that fast when you're that low and that soft with shite for brakes and tires, 100/100 or not. FJR is a different story, as you will soon find out. Congrats on the new bike.

But back to the original statement: I've had a few days when I could hardly wait to stop, and put it away, I was soooo tired of the twisties. But, I usually obsess about being on the bike, and twisting the throttle and hearing the pipes sing. I'm into the winter storage season now, and when driving my crappy car, I set up evey turn/sweeper (in my mind) like I was on the bike. I try and stay sharp that way, always thinking about "the line" etc. I've actually found myself "leaning" off the steering wheel at times. :lol:

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
You feeling okay, Ark? ;)

Ride/tour the R1 on the interstate... or in stop-and-go traffic - now that'll bring a new meaning to the word, "pain!" :D

If you can ride a good pace on a low rider, you'll be insane on an FJR. When I rode one of those for a week last spring, I was scraping everything just turning around in the driveway. Scary. It wouldn't have mattered if the one I was riding had 200 HP... stopping and turning was more awkard than a 20-dollar pony.

:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
That's the great think about motorcycling. Sometime I want to clear my mind and just ride - slab or country road, doesn't matter 'cause I don't want to work. Other times I feel the Flow and thrill through the twisties. The FJR does both so well that I don't have to decide what the mood will be before I leave out. (Before I had to select between Gold Wing or Ducati Monster.) I ride west or north toward the hills and turns. Sometimes it's all main roads just for the time, other times I go explore. When it's time to go home I hit "navigate home" on the GPS and head that way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
obession

Ha guys I just up dated the brakes on the low rider in 2005 the motor is a S&S made to fit the old shovel head frame.I've riden to murtle beach from Rhode Island in one day hours 960 miles. I love 400 or 500 mile days. I 'll keep the harley this way i have the best of both worlds. FJR is going to be great.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I rode down to tail of the dragon in september the best twisties i've ever been on , but 400 miles on the blue ridge parkway in mid week was road heaven, Going back next year on my FJR

·
Registered
163 Posts
Here in Blighty Motorways are off limits for me unless absolutley necesary, always on the A & B roads with lots of twisties, thats where the fun of riding 2 wheels is.

When our little group goes off on our annual trip the motorway is used to get to the port to get out of the UK and then unless we are really short of time that the last time we see the 'Slab'.

Have to say I did Assen WSB this year which is Motorway all the way there and back :( 2 up and did it ruin the tyre -- its as flat as the one on the car.

Roll on summer -- France and Pyrenees this time 8)

Teejay
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep it smooth, Keep it quick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts