FJR Owners Forum banner

Ride to Astoria Oregon. The bridge at sunset never disappoints

5K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  SunnyRides 
#1 · (Edited)
I seriously underestimated how long it would take. Got home at 1:45am almost 13 hours from when I left. Lots of stopping. The purpose was the ride and to get some pics of the Astoria Bridge at sunset. Got some good pics.

Basically took the back roads to hwy 6 then onto Tillamook and snaked up 101 to Astoria. Hwy 6 is a nice road but an annoying lack of passing lanes and openings :) Took hwy 30 back from Astoria, hopped over to Longview Wa to get to I-5, then straight shot home. It was midnight after all, my shoulders were tired and I was getting sleepy. Kept stopping for breaks. Got to the last rest area that I told myself I wasn’t going to stop at but then I started getting tired and it was now a mandatory stop.

Went to the vending machine. I needed a Pepsi and some sugar snacks to get me the last 45 mins home. Reach in my pants pocket….where’s my wallet? Look some more, where’s my wallet? Starting to have a slight heart attack. Where was the last place I had it out? Clatskanie. Google maps, how far away….oh crap, 1.5hrs away. It’s 1 am. I search the ground all around the bike, every nook and cranny, between handle bars, wedged under the fairing? Hell no!

Time to call and cancel the credit cards, sketchy little town I was in and I was in a well lit area where I would have lost it, no way it’s still there. I make the call, get right to the point of her getting ready to cancel 2 of them and I look down at my feet, there it is. STOP! Don’t cancel them!! She hadn’t yet done it, 2 more seconds and poof they would have been gone lol She laughed with me and the world was at peace again (at least for me). Now I am very awake and I don’t need the damn Pepsi or snacks! lol

Sky Cloud Water Road surface Track

Water Cloud Sky Plant Afterglow

Cloud Water Sky Afterglow Fence

Water Sky Cloud Afterglow Nature

Cloud Sky Water Tree Fence

Sky Cloud Light Afterglow Dusk

Cloud Water Sky Plant Afterglow

Water Sky Cloud Water resources Afterglow

Water Sky Cloud Afterglow Body of water

Cloud Sky Water Afterglow Dusk

See less See more
#24 ·
Really great pictures. I live on the other side of this great country so it's been a long time since my las ride up the 101. There are some great rides on the East coast but, IMHO, the West Coast can't be beat.

#4 ·
Thank you. Yeah I always seem to have a story on every ride. Only here are most of them sympathized with lol My theory is it got caught in my jacket after I forgot I already pulled it out (I was damn tired). Eventually it fell out I think because I had already looked at the ground and under the bike it wasn’t there Lol

#5 ·
Very nice. Lucky you to live in the PNW. I went up the coast from Eugene in 2018.... lotsa traffic and no passing zones... nice scenery though.

Reactions: SunnyRides
#6 ·
When someone asks me to describe the Willamette valley I say I am 1 hour from skiing, 1 hour from the high desert, 1 hour from the ocean, 1 hour from a big city and everything is green.

I think we all live for this sign on our good rides

Rectangle Font Signage Parallel Sign

Ironically, the good rides are usually full of these…

Rectangle Font Line Parallel Signage

Reactions: RaYzerman
#8 ·
I used to be into photography a lot when I was young, had a great camera (back then) and so earlier this year I got an iPhone 13 pro specifically for the camera and thinking of bike rides (and my photographers dream part of the country). I then bought a small tripod that just fits in the 50L case so I could take good pics with the optical zoom and also get good low light shots. I took 240 pics on that ride. So I know exactly what you are talking about lol

• Haha
Reactions: mortenk
#16 ·
Made me go look at it. I remember mapping out the ride and almost chose that route but without having been on it and I was already stretching out my time to get there I opted not too. Now I gotta go do that road at some point Lol

#18 ·
Holy crap! Awesome pictures - thanks very much for sharing!

I had the same wallet "incident"... but I cancelled all the things.... then 3 months later found my wallet in the rear pouch of my jacket (put it in there when I took the jacket off in a restaurant - thinking it was the front pocket where I ALWAYS keep it).

I've done only a few of those "endurance" rides... tired and sore as hell the next day... but in 2 weeks you look back and consider it an epic trip and can't wait to do the next one... :)

#19 ·
I’ve only lost my wallet once in my life thankfully. My daughter on the other hand, it’s about every 4-8 months. Somehow it’s always just before she needs money for her rent and I get the text ‘Dad can you…’

#20 ·
I love Astoria but for another reason!

Holding the 40 lbs Chinook Salmon I caught with my friends (and co-workers) on the Columbia River out towards the Pacific Ocean.

#21 ·
I love Astoria but for another reason!

Holding the 40 lbs Chinook Salmon I caught with my friends (and co-workers) on the Columbia River out towards the Pacific Ocean.
Awesome! I know exactly where you were standing, I took some of the pics about 50 yds to the left on the main pier entrance. If it hasn’t changed that is.

#22 ·
Thanks for the photos. Astoria is one of my favorite places to visit and I have quite a few times although not since I got my FJR. My last time out was in October 2017 to run the Great Columbia Crossing 10K. They bussed us over to Washington and then we ran back to Astoria across the bridge. Here's a photo I shot the morning after the race.

Atmosphere Black Rectangle Black-and-white Grey

Reactions: SunnyRides
#23 ·
Thanks for the photos. Astoria is one of my favorite places to visit and I have quite a few times although not since I got my FJR. My last time out was in October 2017 to run the Great Columbia Crossing 10K. They bussed us over to Washington and then we ran back to Astoria across the bridge. Here's a photo I shot the morning after the race.
Nice. The bridge covered in fog. That never happens :)

#25 ·
While we don’t have some of the scenery other parts of the country have around here, Oregon’s coast line is fairly well known for it’s unique beauty. Lucky to be here but been here my whole life so I need to get out and see the rest of the country (not via airplane). I should buy a bike and do some touring ;)

#26 ·
While we don’t have some of the scenery other parts of the country have around here….
IMO, every part of the country has great scenery. Some places are assertive in their scenery and follow trends, you know, like snow capped mountains, fall colors, and the like. In many other places, one has to take the time to discover the beauty that is understated and requires a bit of work on the part of the viewer. I tend to enjoy the latter quite a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.