FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ridden a 2006? If so - please post your frist impressions here - or better yet - a long and detailed review. Waiting for the 2006s to arrive in Virginia, USA.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Prognosis: Acute Waiteritis

Been there. ;)

:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, just finished my first 300 kms. This is my third fjr (2 '02 model before this). Well, simply perfect. A lot of things improved and riding pleasure is increased a lot. at 120km/h you ride at 4000 rpm and with the new windshield up you don't have to fight with pressure on your head.
In the next days I will wrote a review for the Italian club and I will translate it in english for you.
All the best
Diego - '06 fjr1300 deep blue ocean - Italy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thats GREAT news, thanks for the update! I can't wait till mine gets here. My dealer continues to tell me that it should arrive later this month or early next month, but he can't verify that because everytime I call, their computer is down. How convenient :roll: If it does arrive within the next couple of weeks I will definetly write up a review for everyone.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Have just traded in 04 ABS, for new 06. will have in about 2 weeks and will be happy to post my findings. this will be my third FJR. had 01, then 04 abs, which I thought was smoother, with better gearchange. cant wait to compare it with 06. here's hoping she's a good'un. either way, all have been a teriffic motorbike.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Eyup waldy, been keeping an eye on what was outside the shop to see if a new one arrived

·
Registered
14 Posts
joecbr1100 said:
Has anyone ridden a 2006? If so - please post your frist impressions here - or better yet - a long and detailed review. Waiting for the 2006s to arrive in Virginia, USA.
Hey Joe!

Where are you in Va?? Im in Winchester, Va. Waiting to see how those 06 FJRs are.

-Drew

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
drew-b said:
joecbr1100 said:
Hey Joe!

Where are you in Va?? Im in Winchester, Va. Waiting to see how those 06 FJRs are.

-Drew
Hi Drew -- I'm in Ashburn. I purchased my 06 from Loudoun Motorsports. They're saying late April for arrival. I have a 2005 Intruder S83 up for sale now. I've been through 5 bikes in the last 2 years - 2002 Blackbird, 2005 SV1000S, 2005 VTX1300C, 2004 Vstrom 650, and the current S83. My wife doesn't know the FJ is on the way - but she's getting suspicious now that she knows the S83 is up for sale. Hated to sell every one of them. I have yet to find a bike I didn't like.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Marshman, If its any use I know that screens are not the same on 06 bikes so I have a assortment ( 4 / 5 ) screens including Yamaha taller screen, and an unused Baglux tank cover ( dark blue ). only want beer money for anything that may be of any use.
regards mate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
first ride 06

i'm picking up my o6(desert metallic) in three days-my first fjr. i did ride one around the block a couple of years ago so obviously not familiar enough with fjr"s to compare new and old. my present ride-to be traded- is a 2000 bandit 1200. my biggest impression before and now-i took the 06 for a 15 min run-is lack of bulk considering yamaha claim 264kg dry. the fjr didnt feel much heavier than the suzuki and the screen an d upper fairing dont look expansive or encloising. second most felt impression was engine smoothness. gearbox felt slick enough-for a shaftie(the demo had 17km on the clock); performance(didnt have the chance to give it a big han dful)felt good enough-though i admit i expected a bigger shove in the back. the 06 has higher gearing which i was really p###ed off to learn-i like grunt and response rather than relaxed highway crusing-even if that is the fjrs domain...well time and kms will tell-three more sleeps to go ride safe!

·
Registered
144 Posts
According to French magazine Moto Journal, that has made a comparative road test between the 05 and 06 model in their last issue, the 06 FJR reveals less retaking speed capacity [sorry about my English, I hope you can understand this] mainly at lower engine rpm (probably due to the higher weight), some vibrations, a worse gas millage and, yes, less wind buffeting.

·
Registered
94 Posts
mOTO jOURNAL

That would be a good read. I wish I had a copy, but not likely here is San Diego, California.

A review of the report would be appreciated. Believe me, if your english is not perfect, we would still like your opinion.

BAGSTR

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do you have a copy of the article? If you do, I might be able to translate it into English and then post it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
iRide1300 said:
Do you have a copy of the article? If you do, I might be able to translate it into English and then post it.
Sorry guys: I didn't read the article directly, but comments / transcriptions French readers make from it. Any way I think here in Portugal we can buy Moto Journal; so if I get it I'll try to make a translation.
By the the way: another comment some French 2006 riders report is the that the clutch lever is too hard ("embrayage dur"); the magazine also admits that the heat issue is minimized.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Still can't get over how little Yamaha seem to have promoted the 06 FJR to the journalists. With a major revamp to what is supposedly one of their flagship models (certainly costs enough!), and particularly with the 'leccy shift version being such a radical departure from the norm I would have thought they would have been anxious to see more being published. Perhaps the next few weeks might see some more column inches? :?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well well: now I did 700 km on my 2006 FJR and this is what I can say:
- the clutch lever is hard as the older (I had a 2002 and 2003 model)
- the protection is increased and there is no more negative pressure on your helmet
- my km average is 5.3 l/100km (better than the older for only 700 km)
- the motor run slower at the same speed: on my 2003 I ride at 140 at 5000 rpm: now I run at 4500 rpm
- no more hot air but the weather help (max external temperature 12°C)
- no vibrations
- if I have to say something I don't like it's that the new windshield is not high enough for me (I'm 1,80 m tall and when it's completly up I have all the air right on my helmet but shoulder are protected very well
On my opinion another great bike (like 2002 and 2003) but for a complete test I have to ride a little more ;)

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.