FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend, who is not on the internet, has bent his new FJR's ignition key. Yes I did it as well with my bike, bought new ones which were harder material than Yamaha's but I cannot remember where.

Can any of you out there post where he can get some. I have checked this weeks MCN but couldn't find any adverts for new keys. The new keys that I bought were made in Italy if that is of any help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don't the keys have to be formatted (or whatever) with the master key, only through a Yamaha agent? Probably very expensive , but it's supposed to stop tea leaf's nicking our bikes. Whether it does or not I don't know. Anyone got any statistics.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be as the new key has the immobaliser part built in. If he could get a blank and then get it cut he will just have to use both keys. Don't know why they are made of soft metal as they are long keys and bend very easy.

I wish I could remember where I bought my replacement keys as they are good quality. It's an age thing. My excuse anyway. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
141 Posts
fjrdoonhamer said:
Don't know why they are made of soft metal as they are long keys and bend very easy.

:mrgreen:
at a guess thay are soft to prevent the key snapping in the ignition and also to prevent wear on the actual lock mechanism. Both of which would not be especially desirable. Bendy keys are the lesser of evils I imagine.
But then what do I know? :|

·
Registered
149 Posts
I bought an uncoded spare key so that I can open the panniers without the ignition key mainly because I have one of those damn annoying self arming alarms that always arm just as your opening the pannier .

And it was taking a pannier off when I bent my ignition key.

:roll:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And it was taking a pannier off when I bent my ignition key.
Yes, that's how my mate and myself bent ours.

No panic though as I went into our local cobblers to get a local parking disc and guess what he had hanging on his key board, YAMAHA keys at £3.75 each. :lol:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Replacement keys:-

Try Express Keys 29 High St, Green St Green,Orpington Kent BR6 6BG
Tel. 01689 85008. If you ca'nt get there take a photo copy of the old key high lite the outline post it to them & they'll put the image into their machine & cut a replacement. Or send them the damaged key & the'll do it all for you. Costs about £6 per key. Worth ringing them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Murf

Cheers, Terry is going to get one at the local cobblers (not immobiliser key) and keep that one for opening his cases.

He has managed to straighten his original key enough for it to work in the ignition.

More care next time but I have bent a key before, easy done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts